Preview AFL Rd 21 - Pies vs Hawks - MCG Friday night - Changes (Pies unchanged) & Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he did pretty well. It pissed me off no end that Mumford was basically allowed to ragdoll him, but whenever Lynch laid a finger on Mumford he got penalised :mad:
That free kick to mumford against grundy for "blocking" twenty seconds before half time, then a momentum shattering goal to tippett from a strong lead in the following scramble, was enough to make your blood boil. To all those Swans fans out there who disagree, you had Tippett get six and you lost, while Grundy converted a brilliant coast to coast goal to get us within seven or one points in the second stanza. What a first goal in football. I challenge anyone to find a player who has kicked a more memorable debut goal in their career. Grundy is agile, he punches above his weight, and his skill set for a bloke so young is exceptional.

Who would Grundy compare to in terms of seasons ruckmen in the history of VFL/ AFL? Also, who feels that Grundy and Witts is a good combination ruck wise, despite Lynch again being exciting last night. He led up, he marked, he put pressure on the stoppages, and his skills were adequate for a bloke his size. Who cares about lack of goals, we have a bloke named Ben son of Bruce!

Time to reminisce while I prepare mentally, physically and spiritually for the Hawks....

That free kick to mumford against grundy for "blocking" twenty seconds before half time, then a momentum shattering goal to tippett from a strong lead in the following scramble, was enough to make your blood boil. To all those Swans fans out there who disagree, you had Tippett get six and you lost, while Grundy converted a brilliant coast to coast goal to get us within seven or one points in the second stanza. What a first goal in football. I challenge anyone to find a player who has kicked a more memorable debut goal in their career. Grundy is agile, he punches above his weight, and his skill set for a bloke so young is exceptional.

Who would Grundy compare to in terms of seasons ruckmen in the history of VFL/ AFL? Also, who feels that Grundy and Witts is a good combination ruck wise, despite Lynch again being exciting last night. He led up, he marked, he put pressure on the stoppages, and his skills were adequate for a bloke his size. Who cares about lack of goals, we have a bloke named Ben son of Bruce!

Time to reminisce while I prepare mentally, physically and spiritually for the Hawks....
As far as Grundy bein compared to young ruckman you need look no further than our own Len Thompson - although not the same type of attitude regarding brute force Len was a young ruckman picked in the finals series for his debut game and could quite reasonably have been called the very prototype of the running modern ruckman.

Anyone else notice two 6 day breaks before finals against the reigning premiers and Hawthorn?

Both those teams get 7 day breaks. Then the AFL give us West Coast who were supposed to be top 4 locks and then North who were tipped to be top 6 this year. All by design. Luckily though West Coast and North backfired on Vlad and his slimy cohorts.

Oh yeah, come first finals we get a 6 day break as well.
:rolleyes:
Speaking of the shorter break, would there be some suggestion Demetriou and his mob of pen pushing maggots had written Collingwood off? Probably licking their lips and rubbing their hands together when the Bombers and Swans were lining us up for a flogging. If we manage to break the Hawk hoodoo there will be some sense of redemption. Maybe the AFL can back pedal and put the Pies on a Friday night against North Melbourne. Do not think the Kangaroos will complain with prime time viewing and some money coming through the turnstyles ;) besides, the Shinboners play "big game football" according to Brad Scott. Suppose they did thump Richmond and Geelong, and have the third best percentage in the league. Maybe we can lend some off them come finals time. Not like they will be needing it :p

As far as Grundy bein compared to young ruckman you need look no further than our own Len Thompson - although not the same type of attitude regarding brute force Len was a young ruckman picked in the finals series for his debut game and could quite reasonably have been called the very prototype of the running modern ruckman.
Len who? Nah kidding. The grandfather saw him running around in the seventies. Long before football rights, perms, manicures, bloke's counselling, designer clothing, twilight and weekday fixtures et cetera ;)

Has Len Thompson passed on now? Goodness me. John Greening was another star footballer too. Crunched and never the same again.

I particularly liked Swanny's game last night. Pendelbury was amazing yes given. His sixteen disposals in the second stanza was Cousins-esque. Though Pendlebury is more classy and has more time than a Cousins, and his ball use was amazing. But Swanny started from the bench and still got into the thick of the game in the remaining three quarters. Seemed further up the ground away from goal, which I know he prefers. Getting into the thick of the midfield action.

I could go on forever about contributors, but I thought Ball was amazing and hard in and under, Beams well, what can I say? Rusty's game was impressive. The lesser lights in Marley Williams, the Humble Penguin (Blair), Harry across half back, Billy around goals, and Dwyer when he came on as the sub getting seven crucial touches in the last quarter. Dwyer's tackling and harrassment at the stoppages was what is required and epitomised why he has been resigned. Did I forget Josh Thomas? This is why he remained at the club when he was injured. Some of his goals game me sport's fans wood. Had to labour to walk over it most of the evening in the post match, and watching the cricket. Frothing at the mouth.

Keefe was good going down back on Tippett, but Brown had a magnificent game keeping Tippett to four goals. Every contest Tippett out marked him, just good form from the twin. Thought Cloke was brilliant in front of goal too. Hard to kick into the post from ten metres out. He is accurate when he wants to be ;)

Last but not least. Lynch and Maxwell. Lynch led up, he spoiled, he marked, he put pressure on at the stoppages, and cleared a path for others as well. He closed the Swans down well, and if he does not kick another goal for the year, I think he will be highly regarded from his disposal. Maxwell did a captain's job, and deserves credit for his one percenters. If anyone watched Frank Tuck in the fifties, that is the type of captain Maxy is. He is not glamorous, but he gets the job done. Anyone asking for him to be dropped, should remember his influence on the ground verbally and physically when the ball is not around him. Do not be overly critical on the bloke. He has led us to a flag.

Only change I can foresee is Seedsman in if he has a blinder in the VFL, need his line breaking ability against the Hawks. Grundy stays, smashed it last night and he will do it again against the Hawthorn ruckmen.

In Seedsman Out Dwyer
Go back and watch the part where Dwyer came on. He was enormous. Forced 3-4 turn overs and made sure we won the game.

The logical replacement for Seedsman is maxwell. Seeds can play his role with ten times the impact.
No he can't

Seedsmen is an offensive running half back, who nominally plays on smalls

Maxwell is third man up defensive sweeper who plays on third talls and mediums

Taking out our best player against the best team in the comp? No chance.

Meh - just thinking out loud. Copeland mentioned B. Reid was nursing his ankle at the end of the game - he might give way to Seedsman, or Hudson. The point is that now we know we're definitely in, if players need the break give it to them.

Gunston and Hodge likely to be missing really helps us.

Buddy will return, but he can't be 100% fit.

As for us, NO CHANGES. (Injuries permitting of course).

One thing, let Swan and Pendles have an easy week again, if the game against the Swans is anything to go by if they don't train they'll smash the Hawks.:D

Think it will be a close one of Friday night although from recent form it will be hard to tell which Collingwood will turn up!! Happy you beat Sydney
We have been in poor form lately and will get shown up if we dont improve.
Have a feeling Buddy won't play. Gunston who knows. Looked sore and Doc Larkins says he may miss a couple but Clarko and a couple of others said he's fine. Think Hodge will be back although he hasn't been in great form. Jed Anderson may also be in line for a recall if you remember him from last time?

Shiels and Birchall I think are still a week away.

Should be cracker on Friday!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it will be a close one of Friday night although from recent form it will be hard to tell which Collingwood will turn up!! Happy you beat Sydney
We have been in poor form lately and will get shown up if we dont improve.
Have a feeling Buddy won't play. Gunston who knows. Looked sore and Doc Larkins says he may miss a couple but Clarko and a couple of others said he's fine. Think Hodge will be back although he hasn't been in great form. Jed Anderson may also be in line for a recall if you remember him from last time?

Shiels and Birchall I think are still a week away.

Should be cracker on Friday!!
Last time Hawks supporters posted in thread like this was before the 2011 prelim ;)

It would require Sydney to fall over and lose to both Geelong and hawthorn, while we win all our last three.
We can win all three, but the chances of freo or Sydney dropping enough games is pretty unlikely.
Regardless this v2 team with Keefe, Goldsack, Grundy, beams and ball, Harry back, Sinclair playing well down back, Reid forward, lynch 2nd ruck, Marley on fire, JT going in hard will be hard to beat even from outside the 8.
We still have Thomas to come back, Seedsman who can influence a game, and Krak ready if needed.
That's why maxwell has to go, hasn't contributed or influenced a game all season.

On the topic of D. Thomas. Who's going to be dropped for him to come back into the side?

Any one think Cyril will be in trouble for his tackle where he drove the Saints player into the ground head first?

Hope so! Might just get a reprimand I reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Rd 21 - Pies vs Hawks - MCG Friday night - Changes (Pies unchanged) & Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back