Preview AFL Rd 21 - Pies vs Hawks - MCG Friday night - Changes (Pies unchanged) & Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That free kick to mumford against grundy for "blocking" twenty seconds before half time, then a momentum shattering goal to tippett from a strong lead in the following scramble, was enough to make your blood boil. To all those Swans fans out there who disagree, you had Tippett get six and you lost, while Grundy converted a brilliant coast to coast goal to get us within seven or one points in the second stanza. What a first goal in football. I challenge anyone to find a player who has kicked a more memorable debut goal in their career. Grundy is agile, he punches above his weight, and his skill set for a bloke so young is exceptional.

Who would Grundy compare to in terms of seasons ruckmen in the history of VFL/ AFL? Also, who feels that Grundy and Witts is a good combination ruck wise, despite Lynch again being exciting last night. He led up, he marked, he put pressure on the stoppages, and his skills were adequate for a bloke his size. Who cares about lack of goals, we have a bloke named Ben son of Bruce!

Time to reminisce while I prepare mentally, physically and spiritually for the Hawks....

Lordy you hit it right on the buzzer!!! Well done.

Lordy you hit it right on the buzzer!!! Well done.
They said Jesus was insightful ;) how do you see Grundy going against Hawthorn? I think they have Hale maybe. Cannot remember the other bloke. Keep Dwyer and Blair. They played blinders. Give Dwyer the whole game and he would have had thirty disposals. Just like the four princes of colliwobble land.

Another goal was fairly crucial, and was supreme redemption. Tippett comes out and cuts out and clunks a mark on Keefey thirty five out a minute out from the three quarter time bell. Bastard of a bloke. Kicks his sixth after clokey finally scoots one off the turf. Bloody waste of time reviewing it. But that mark from Reid, where he took a magnificent contested clunk in front of some mug of the harbour city Swans, made me jump for joy (I did not get stuck). Then he calmly slots it for a three goal lead. Game over.

Loved the effort from the boys. I have been pessimistic I confess, but not even the dockers winning today by smashing the giants makes a difference. They will play in Melbourne for the finals. Lose. Goodnight Rossy Lyon. Drug cheat Bombers got smashed by the lowly Eagles. We pinch fifth. Loving the results falling our way. Seems as if the stars have aligned. Destiny has shone upon us....for now.

Just hope we do not lose to North Melbourne. With Reid and Cloke up forward, and the midfield firing, I seriously doubt it. Get past Hawthorn, and I smell some prize money.

Hawthorn's midifeld is really struggling compaed to this time last year. Mitchell is playing a lot at half back, Sewell was in and out of the team, and Rioli is struggling to impact the game. This is where we win the game - beat them in the middle, and hopefully Cloke has another big one against their undersized backline. I also think Reid could be improtant here, if Gibson goes to him he needs to cause separation for Cloke to compete one on one.

Cloke should be instructed to run Lake ragged and get him out on the lead, one on one his judgement is unbelievable and tbh can't see him getting beat too much there despite Cloke's brute strength, I think your plan would be to isolate Reid on Gibson, Reid is the sort of matchup that will cause Gibbo problems, doesn't like the tall strong athletic players as his record on Podsiadly shows, Reid forward makes your team extremely dangerous and without an ideal match up (schoenmakers if available) i could see Gibson struggling to contain him. The other option could be Spangher to go back and free up Gibson onto a Lynch. We are going to need a few of our stars who are out coming back in to win this game imo, Think Birchall and Buddy will be back as well as Bailey. Possibly even Shiels to come in as well to tag Beams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who drops out for daisy in a couple of weeks?? and wats seedsmans lot now? i cant see there being any changes again barring injury

I think we rest grundy and JT this week as the above poster said, it's 2 6 day breaks and interstate travel.

Bring jolly in an see how he goes. Plays well an he stays in, plays badly and it's most likely his last game for the pies. Bring the seed in for JT

Is there a full moon tonight? Did you watch the game? Thomas was a sub last week. Why would a young man in his prime need a rest? Why should Jolly replace the first ruckman we have had who can run and jump? I just don't get some people.o_O

Who is this Marley Williams the Pies supporters are raving about? Is this another one of those players that we get told will take Hawthorn player X to the cleaners but is really a spud in the O'Brien/Maxwell mould?
Was only saying that in jest but he's a beast 1v1 player and has great disposal & rebound, only in his 2nd year. Easily best 22

Hey guys sorry to intrude!!!

Serious question do you guys think Reid will play Back next week, with Brown looking horrible against Cameron and Tippett do you think you will play Reid on Buddy and Keefe on Roughead????

Serious question do you guys think Reid will play Back next week, with Brown looking horrible against Cameron and Tippett do you think you will play Reid on Buddy and Keefe on Roughead????
Hmm, it's an interesting one. I'd still prefer to play Reid forward and stretch your backline a little. Hopefully Brown could play well on Roughead and maybe Keeffe goes to Franklin - if he plays. That would be my plan A anyway; if that doesn't work Reid will go back.

It appears unlikely. Collingwood as a team in the sort of form they're in currently would have no real reason to be making those sorts of changes.

In all likelihood we're more likely to see Frost down back this week than Reid.

Keeffe or Goldsack to Buddy with Brown on Roughead.

Rambo had a stinker, but he kept Roughead well held last time we played Hawks (from memory he kicked 2 goals, both from ruck infringements).

The good thing is if match ups don't work, we have the flexibility to swing Reid back and Goldsack or Keeffe forward.

I would have no change this week, with the intent to rest Pendles and/or Swan for the Eagles game with Martin (if one is rested) and one of Seedsman/Didak (if both are rested) coming in to replace them. Pendles/Swan have had to carry massive workloads this entire season.

Now with the band coming back together in Beams, Ball, Harry, along with new blood like JT and Dwyer playing more inside as well as Macaffer resuming midfield tagging roles, the Eagles are probably the only chance for them to get a chop out before finals. It'd also be a chance to rest Grundy.

Brodie has surpassed almost all expectations as a first year player coming off no pre-season and injuries, to the point where I would have to say he is 50/50 our best option for finals. That said, he is a first year player coming off no-preseason and injuries. We don't want to run him into the ground and have him spent before we can go deep in finals. I'd like to see Jolly come back for the Eagles game so we can truly see where both of them stand for our September campaign.

As for the Hawks, win, lose or draw, I just want to see the Collingwood that have been playing the last two weeks to continue their good form. Hawks are not playing all that well at the moment too, so this could be our opportunity to get the monkey off our backs and build even more momentum. Our inconsistency earlier in the year has really hurt our chances for the Premiership, but there are a lot of things to be excited about for 2014/2015.

edit: Forgot about Daisy. :eek:

Geez, he'd have to be a chance at being sub for the Eagles/North games depending on how he goes in the VFL.

This is the big one. This mob with the most ugly colours in world sport have towelled us up far too often over the lat 40 years.

We have not looked like getting close to them even when Cloke has dominated. Now that they have a class KD, we must find others to kick goals.

There will probably be no change. Would be good to bring in Jolly for Grundy, but I think the knee injury may have ended Jolly's career. He doesn't seem to ba able to jump anymore.

Think the way to beat Hawthorn is to play man on man a la 2011PF, and move that ball as quick as we can into our forward line by playing on at all costs. Don't let them get that loose man going otherwise they will crucify us with their precise kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Rd 21 - Pies vs Hawks - MCG Friday night - Changes (Pies unchanged) & Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back