AFL Rd 3 Collingwood v Carlton -Prematch Talk and Team Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

I dislike playing for that cup.

I love it! When we win..it's like...we own them:)

On a serious note, I'm worried about this game only because of the media garbola that win ensue after the match should we lose. It'll automatically be all about how Calrton have knocked us off the perch and overtaken us blah blah blah when really, it's only round 3 and the 2nd match between the 2 clubs is the one that counts.
Having said that, I don't want to be 1-2, that is not how you want to start a season after losing a GF. Given I'm happy to wait for us to peak, but you also can't let too many get away early because it can set the scene and mood around the club.

I'm looking forward to Maxy being back and Johnno, hoping it pushes Shaw up the ground for DT purposes and pure class purposes, we need his run and class to set up the play. Also looking forward to Beams' return after his 1st game back, I think that run has done him some good and he should be firing tomorrow night.

Huge game, very evenly matched..GO PIES

I also don't like playing for the cup. Pratt Foundation Cup would be better, because at least you know there is a worthy cause. Fact is Pratt personally didn't do anything for our club, not as a player, president or anything else, therefore I don't think he's the appropriate person to have on the cup.
To be honest, I actually grew to accept the Peter Mac Cup, even though the organisation was completely irrelevant to both clubs.

Gerard Whately increasingly gives me the sh*ts...hating him makes me feel like a bully bc he is so nerdy but I am sick of that show being a Cat love fest like it was on Monday and Tuesday.

My thoughts

For me its a close call. Carlton have only beaten Richmond and Brisbane....amazes me that they are being hyped up so aggressively. Still we havent been that impressive (form / inj etc) but I dont see it being any more than a 50:50 game.

Where will we win it

I think the game will be won with our defence. If Harry can curb Betts (which he almost always does), Reid can blanket Waite and Toovey takes down Gartlett, Keefe on the rucks roatation then I think we are 70% the way to a win bc I just cant see where 10-14 goals would come from for them.

There is a lot of upside to us. We have some good players coming back and some inexperienced kids going out so the improvement to the side is huge. Equally, we showed some good form in the last first 3 qtrs last week and bar a lapse in the 2nd qtr vs Hawks our form was ok. In saying that, we aint anywhere near 100% so wont be throwing the baby out if we get beat unless we get absolutely towelled.

Team Changes

Out: Paine, Tarrant, Sinclair, Seedsman (unlucky IMO)
In: JOhnson, Wood, Wellingham, Maxwell

Players to watch

Chris Dawes - Jamieson will come in for them and so Dawes will be under the pump to put in a decent showing. Having watched his game again last night he was woeful in the marking contests last week.....plain woeful and he should be wary of Paine developing and taking his spot in 2013 and beyond if he doesnt improve quickly. He has played 50 games now and is a big boy.

Harry OBrien - was good on Cyril except for a few mins and was v good in 2nd half last week but needs to be at his best for Betts. Done the job in the past and he loves the little fellas.

Dane Swan - Brownlow medallist has been ok to now but needs to step it up tomorrow night. If he had finished those 2 goals last week then I think the view of his game would have been much different so not far off.

Heath Shaw - Like Swan he is just 'going' at the moment. He is an elite HB flanker and needs to be as damaging Delidio was for them last week.

Sharrod Wellingham - been is super form in the 2's and needs to show the team he is keen to atone for letting the side down.

Darren Jolly - Was good in the ruck last week but did precious else around the ground. Kruezer will be bold enough to run fwd in the ruck and am worried Jolls wont be able to keep up. Its why Cam Wood needs to come in for mine.

carlton may have only beaten richmond and brisbane this year, but don't forget how good they were vs the eagles in the semi final in perth (w/ no kruzer, no gibbs, no waite and judd quiet etc.) last year.

i think it will be very close. psyched. :thumbsu:

Cant see the Blues winning this game, all I want is for us to be competitive and give it 110%; the Pies took it easy against the Tigers so they could prepare for the Blues. Pies have more options and the midfield for Collingwood is more hardened and battle tested. Big crowd tommorrow predicting over 90k congrats Pies on a great win.

How's Keefe been for you guys?

I'm legitimately surprised by how good he's been.

I've never really been a fan, but he's slowly making me a believer so far this year.

Still a ways to go before I'm fully converted though.

I was searching through the great books I have about Collingwood for a quote for my preview, and came across one that seemed perfect for the enemie of all enemies;

"Hurrah for the lads of lusty legs....
Football they play the orthodox way
And kick t'others teeth out.
Hurray for the lads with biceps so strong,
With arms so brawny and bare.
May they trample and pound all their foes on the ground,
And make merry at their despair."

It was written by a Collingwood supporter after our first premiership win back in 1896.:thumbsu:

Dawes MUST play as a stay at home forward leading up from FF/CHF. We were at our most potent when he and Cloke were in synch with their deep leads up the ground while one stayed back.

Dawes has been nothing short of horrible in the forward/ruck role. He just does not have the ability to read the play or find the right spots on the ground in the ruck. While I was not against seeing if he could learn the roll in the preseason, this is the real deal and he is a liability at the moment. He has taken 1 contested mark across the first two games and as a basis for comparison, Fasolo has taken 4. This output is not good enough for a man of his size and strength and supposedly the primary foil to Travis.

Stick him in the forward line, let him get his confidence back by focussing purely on that role and we will reap the rewards once again when he synchs up with Cloke a la 2010.

Agreed Trojan.

Wood needs to play to allow Dawes to worry about being a forward and forward only. We need to stretch their backline as much as possible, especially if Jamison plays.

Having Trav and Dawes down there with Jolly/Wood rotating is how you do that.

Hell, throw Paine in too.

Form favours the blues, but ive come up with a theory about opposition teams, and i feel the only way we will lose, is if a opposition forward can kick a bag.
In the last 2-3 seasons, our losses, Geelong being the exception, have come when the opposition has had a forward (generally tall) kick a bag against us. This has usually been Lance Franklin.
I dont believe Waite or Hampson or whoever plays key forward for the Blues has the ability to cause us as much trouble as someone like Buddy does.
The blues will have to rely on their smalls and midfield to kick the goals, and again, i dont believe this will happen.
Our goal scorer power outweighs the blues.
I dont see the blues stopping Travis Cloke, he will bob up with 4-5, and its game over.
Has anyone else came to this theory?

Absolutely Trojan, and the weather tomorrow night is going to be conducive to playing 2 big men and exploit Carlton`s under sized defence,which will force there hand in throwing Waite back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely agree on Dawes. Him and Cloke work best in tandem switching between FF and CHF isolating their direct opponents. If anything it's a battle between Wood and Paine. I'd like to see Wood play as often as possible because we need Jolly in peak form and fitness at the business end of the season. In saying that Paine is a likely type and i can see him cementing a spot as a taller version of Maccafer.

I'm probably Paine's biggest fan but I reckon he'll probably make way for Wood.

Might be too tall a forward line with Cloke/Dawes/Jolly or Wood/Paine all in there. That said, I wouldn't be against using Paine as the sub - green or red jacket.

Yeh the Dawes ruck experiment needs to end.

His confidence is at an all time low as are his numbers. He is goalless too after 2 rounds.

Time for him to be left as a stay at home forward to work in tandem with Cloke. He is a goal kicker- that is his primary role, not to be a 2nd ruckman.

We look far more balanced with Wood in the side and Paine out unfortunately.

I'm probably Paine's biggest fan but I reckon he'll probably make way for Wood.

Might be too tall a forward line with Cloke/Dawes/Jolly or Wood/Paine all in there. That said, I wouldn't be against using Paine as the sub - green or red jacket.

I cant imagne Paine being able to have a big enough impact to be the sub unless he is going to specifically sub on for wood.

Sinclair will get mauled if he plays. Surely he'll make way for Wellingham.

Wood has to play.

On an unrelated note, what happened to the Black and White show this year? Has it been sacrificed because of the Fox footy Show?

Cant see the Blues winning this game, all I want is for us to be competitive and give it 110%; the Pies took it easy against the Tigers so they could prepare for the Blues. Pies have more options and the midfield for Collingwood is more hardened and battle tested. Big crowd tommorrow predicting over 90k congrats Pies on a great win.
What is the point of this post? Congratulating them on a win before the game? Are you that insecure?

Back to the game.

The reason why I think this will be our best chance against your mob is simply that our defence has never been this good in the last 12 years. If our defence can stand up, I think we will win.

I think Collingwood faces the exact dilemma. Midfield will be an even battle. Inside 50s should be around even, especially from centre clearances. The contest will be won by do can curb the opposition scoring 'chances"

Looks like the pies are one of the first teams to break the selection embargo.

WOOD IS PLAYING.:thumbsu::eek:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...ampaign=Feed:+HeraldSunAfl+(Herald+Sun+|+AFL)

Buckley praised the development of Wood, who has recovered from a shoulder injury.

"Kreuzer and Hampson are up and about, especially in the centre bounces, it's going to be a challenge for Darren for Woody and for Dawesy," Buckley said.

"In the last 12 months I reckon we've seen the emergence of a likely first ruckman for our side in the future.

"Up until that point I don't think Woody had given himself the best chance to be a professional footballer, he hadn't behaved like a professional footballer and he's really had a look at his life...he's really come on leaps and bounds."

He said the move would allow Chris Dawes to focus on his forward role.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...ampaign=Feed:+HeraldSunAfl+(Herald+Sun+|+AFL)

Great news.:thumbsu:

Cue Paine to be dropped I think unless we really want to stretch them and if Johnson isn't quite up.

Wood is the logical choice to come in, and I'm really happy Buckley is giving him some much needed words of encouragement, and has given time to get over the shoulder injury.

I've thought Wood just needs consistent time in the 1s and a strong show of faith from the coach to be a serviceable first ruck. He's filled out, he is stronger at the contest than Fraser ever was, and he is - from memory - a fairly reliable shot at goal.

The other thing he should have is motivation - to play in the flag that his mates so enjoyed in 2010.

Good news if Wood is in.

This is the kind of opposition and big match atmosphere he needs to adapt to if he wants that No.1 ruck spot in a couple of years.

Form favours the blues, but ive come up with a theory about opposition teams, and i feel the only way we will lose, is if a opposition forward can kick a bag.
In the last 2-3 seasons, our losses, Geelong being the exception, have come when the opposition has had a forward (generally tall) kick a bag against us. This has usually been Lance Franklin.
I dont believe Waite or Hampson or whoever plays key forward for the Blues has the ability to cause us as much trouble as someone like Buddy does.
The blues will have to rely on their smalls and midfield to kick the goals, and again, i dont believe this will happen.
Our goal scorer power outweighs the blues.
I dont see the blues stopping Travis Cloke, he will bob up with 4-5, and its game over.
Has anyone else came to this theory?

While I see the point you've made (It's a valid one), there are a few others I think you might have skimmed over.... Last week we smashed the Lions because quite honestly.... We were allowed too. Last week Daisy had 5 minutes of brilliance because he was allowed to. Neither team will get that sort of allowance tomorrow night - However you guys seemed to struggle a little last week against an opposition we smashed without getting out of first gear.... Also it should also be noted that this year we had what seemed to be a poor preseason. Then we came out with 4 key injuries in round one and beat a full strength Richmond (In good form) quite well - We did the same against a reasonable midfield in Lions AWAY.... What this tells us is that Carlton for the first time in a long time have decent depth - Unfortunately this will most probably be cause of Collingwoods demise tomorrow night.... Jamison although a little underdone will prove a formidable opponent for Cloke and Henderson may well do the same on Dawes. I don't think Waite will be too damaging until Walker returns which isn't for a few weeks. So personally I'm thinking our bottom six against your bottom six will get the job done for the Blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Rd 3 Collingwood v Carlton -Prematch Talk and Team Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back