AFL Rd 6 - Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That's just so unfair. He laid 9 tackles because his determination and want allowed him to. Don't take that away from him. He gave his all today.

I also reckon he's a pretty decent reader of the play as well. Constantly finds the ball in dangerous situations. Lacks the poise and skill to take advantage of it, but as a knack of getting in the right spots.

Isn't this thread just a little hasty. Shouldn't we wait to see how the players pull up from today and how the VFL goes.

If you were looking at who should be omiitted based purely on todays game the Seedsman, Fasolo, and Ugle would be at the head of the list. Ugle only because he didn't get much game time. Gets a lot harder after that. Maybe Buckley.

Super intense game of footy and every player had a red hot crack, can't complain about that, and given our injury situation it's probably a Godsend. Allow players to recover and find form in the VFL while we can I say.

Really, 5 pages of this?

We just had our best win since the prelim last year and you want to talk about a game 9 days away, before our VFL side has even played and our senior players have even done their proper rehab?

I'll come back to this thread on Saturday night after the VFL game.:cool:

Really, 5 pages of this?

We just had our best win since the prelim last year and you want to talk about a game 9 days away, before our VFL side has even played and our senior players have even done their proper rehab?

I'll come back to this thread on Saturday night after the VFL game.:cool:

Exacly my Thoughts

We've been calling for Sinclair's head for a month now and he's just played his best game by quite a long way...he will not get dropped, watch this space.

Heard rumours that Thomas is another week away?

If true, IN didak and shaw, OUT buckley and seedsman

If thomas plays then maybe Ugle goes out, but I would not be rushing the three of them back at once. I know didak has played VFL but we are only playing the Bulldogs and all things being equal we should win that comfortably no matter what team of 22 we put out.

Re: Changes for Western Bulldogs

He laid 9 tackles today because he couldn't read the play and get first to the ball. He needs to be dropped. I don't know what the coaching staff see in him.
Yeah, dunno about this. It's not like he was Ryan Lonie-ing his way around and letting his opponent put his head over the ball first, before tackling him. There are legitimate concerns about Sinclair, but I don't see attack on the ball being one of them.

Anyone see a problem developing with our key-position stocks? The fact we have 4 key defenders who are elite (Reid, Tarrant) or in elite form (Keefe and to a lesser extent Brown) and adequate support in Maxwell who can play as a KP. Then at the other end of the ground 1 elite key forward (Cloke) and beside that not much else. Dawes is in very average form and tbh will only ever be an average to good CHF, whilst Paine is simply too young.

Do we try Taz or Reid up forward? Bring in Wood and persist with him floating forward to help out...It is probably our biggest issue atm, the fact Clokey doesn't have an adequate partner to help him out.

Anyone see a problem developing with our key-position stocks? The fact we have 4 key defenders who are elite (Reid, Tarrant) or in elite form (Keefe and to a lesser extent Brown) and adequate support in Maxwell who can play as a KP. Then at the other end of the ground 1 elite key forward (Cloke) and beside that not much else. Dawes is in very average form and tbh will only ever be an average to good CHF, whilst Paine is simply too young.

Do we try Taz or Reid up forward? Bring in Wood and persist with him floating forward to help out...It is probably our biggest issue atm, the fact Clokey doesn't have an adequate partner to help him out.

I don't think we need to be too tall up forward, while i agree that Paine is still finding his feet i'm all for one of Taz/Reid/Brown to move up forward.

I think Dawes has played at the required level, albeit that he's not playing at that level currently, so I think we need to persist with him given the lack of suitable alternatives.

As far as the number of quality defenders goes, it's only a short-term problem. Taz won't likely be around for much longer, and our remaining young guys (Keeffe excluded) are rather injury prone.

Hopefully Stewart can provide another quality key forward prospect. Gault is an exciting project. Moore and Haggerty could well follow.

Dropping Dawes for Tarrant is ridiculous.

Dawes actually got some taps to advantage today. He is marking above his head for the first time in a while, he is slamming people with his body; he is contesting FIERCLY. He is tackling, he is going after the ground ball. He even got a spoil in the backline when playing ruck.

Tarrant would be a possible quick fix for the goal kicking problem RE Dawes. However, last time Tarrant played forward he did bigger all (against Brisbane).

Why swap 1 player who might go OK in that role but who is 30 years old and may retire at seasons end, for one who is already doing an adequate job and has much room left for improvement and could be playing footy for collingwood for a further 10 years?

I mean... We may as well be St.Kilda of 09' and 2010. "why take a risk on a young bloke when we have all these established players?"
Since getting over this mentality, Saints have developed players like Geary, Siposs and Stanley, to name a few!
We need to stick with Dawes and get him back to early 2011 form!

Where is MyManDawes when you need him? ;)

I am here, my friend, to support the endless struggle to silence opposition to Dawes. I have argued this topic on other threads today. My main point is that when we have all big men fit, Dawes could play a Leigh Brown role on the flank and in Ruck while Reid played CHF. Tarrant is too old to be a key forward, and Keefe can almost handle Reid's role. Dawes was OK today, and whether posters kike it or not, Dawes will stay in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am here, my friend, to support the endless struggle to silence opposition to Dawes. I have argued this topic on other threads today. My main point is that when we have all big men fit, Dawes could play a Leigh Brown role on the flank and in Ruck while Reid played CHF. Tarrant is too old to be a key forward, and Keefe can almost handle Reid's role. Dawes was OK today, and whether posters kike it or not, Dawes will stay in the team.

Bingo.. Whilst Dawes is not being productive on the scoreboard he is doing enough around the ground and in the ruck to warrant his selection.
Dawes is absolutely critical to our structures as he can provide a second option and crumbing options for the little guys.

I am hoping that he can kick a bag against the lesser teams to gain some confidence.

Sinclair is required to keep up the forward tackling pressure in the absence of Krak and with Blair/Beams/Steele spending more time in the middle to cover for the loss of Ball.

Dawes is required to play forward/backup ruck and he is also very good at locking the ball in the forward half with his defensive pressure.

Given our game style of forward pressure I can't see either of these guys being dropped even if they are not putting points on the scoreboard.

Shaw & Thomas to come in if fit for Buckley and Seeds.

If Didak shows good VFL form (not just possies, tackles/shepards/smothers/etc.) then he comes in for Ugle.

In: Didak, Shaw, Wood

Out: Ugle, Buckley, Jolly

I think we should persist with Sinclair as once he gets use too the big stage and calms down a bit I think his disposal will get a hell of a lot better and then we will have a very handy player on our hands.
Also I would like to see Seedsman get full game under his belt as he's looked the goods so far when he's started as sub, and I think the atmosphere got the better of him last Wednesday.

I've got Wood in for Jolly as Wood needs ruck time under his belt in case Jolly goes down, and he's shown before that he can preform well as a first ruck, plus resting Jolly a few times this season will probably do him a world of good.

INS: Didak, Thomas, Shaw
OUTS: Ugle, Seedsman, Sinclair

B - Maxwell Keeffe Toovey
HB - Shaw Brown O'Brien
C - Clarke Swan Sidebottom
HF - Thomas Cloke Wellingham
F - Didak Dawes Blair
R - Jolly Beams Pendlebury
INT - Goldsack Johnson Fasolo

SUB - Buckley

Your dropping 2 forwards and a utility for a mid, defender and forward.

In: Didak, Shaw & Thomas
Out: Ugle, Buckley & Seedsman

Sinclair on his defensive efforts aloe gets another game.

You do realise that if we drop Dawes he won't play a match for about 17 days don't you?:confused:

The VFL side has a bye next weekend, so anyone who does not play against the Dogs in the seniors, DOES NOT PLAY for a bloody long time.

Take that into account when thinking about dropping someone who "needs to find confidence in the 2's".:thumbsu:

Actually, when you think about it, it might be a good time to rest someone like Jolly, he would get a massive rest and it would give Wood a run in a situation where he otherwise wouldn't get one.

Dawes will play, and Sinclair will play and rightly so.

In: Didak, Shaw
Out: Ugle, Buckley.

Want to see Seedsman have another run. Give Thomas another week off. If he's right though, then Seedsman goes.

I would be very sad to see Ugle Dropped from only get about 10 Minutes on the Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Rd 6 - Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back