AFL Rd 6 - Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone on this board who reckons Sinclair keeps his place is a either a relative or has no FN idea about the game... Come on, he is a spud + more

In Shaw, Didak, Elliott
Out Sinclair Sinclair Sinclair (Seedsman, Buckley)

Dawes keeps his place until Reid & Tarrant are back.

I'll take Nathan Buckley's opinion over anybody else. :thumbsu:

Ugle gets another crack easily.. he was far better than seedsmen whos already had a few goes. Ugle stays in over Seedsmen

The game was far too close when Ugle came on, when he got the ball he just didn't FREAK OUT. Love to see him play more than 10minutes

Personally, I think Buckley played a good game on Wednesday. Why all the Buckley hate?

Sinclair on the other hand needs to go. He is a raw spud which should be cooked slowly at a low temperature. He has been in the cooker for a bit too long and raw spuds tend to explode when overcooked.

I am here, my friend, to support the endless struggle to silence opposition to Dawes. I have argued this topic on other threads today. My main point is that when we have all big men fit, Dawes could play a Leigh Brown role on the flank and in Ruck while Reid played CHF. Tarrant is too old to be a key forward, and Keefe can almost handle Reid's role. Dawes was OK today, and whether posters kike it or not, Dawes will stay in the team.

It's good to know that you are not far away when I need someone to help me defend Dawes ;)

I'm not sure about Reid playing CHF, however..... He is just a bloody good defender... He provides so much drive off the backline.. I dunno... Would be a risky move.

Personally, I think Buckley played a good game on Wednesday. Why all the Buckley hate?

Sinclair on the other hand needs to go. He is a raw spud which should be cooked slowly at a low temperature. He has been in the cooker for a bit too long and raw spuds tend to explode when overcooked.

I agree about Buckley.

But if they swap like for like then Shaw comes in for buckley and didak for seedsman.

It will be interesting to see how Collingwood handle the Reid, Brown, Tarrant, Keeffe situation ...

IMO IF we can get them all fit the ideal scenario is to rotate them every month while always keeping at least 3 in the team, because I believe our best defensive structure includes 3 talls.

For instance if all get up in time for the Geelong game (round 8) then Keeffe would miss as he'd played the most games preceding that match, the week after Brown would miss against Adelaide as a freshen up, the week following Tarrant would miss and the week following that Reid would miss and then the rotation starts again with Keeffe.

Some may think that we could lose balance if we do that, but I just feel that its the best way to prepare all 4 for September. Because by round 22 all would've played a minimum of 15-16 games which would leave them match fit (as they're only missing once a month), fresh and none are being left to rot in the reserves ala Medhurst and Lockyer in 2010.

Now to my ins and outs, which are dependant on reserves form.

In: Paine and Didak
Out: Cloke and Seedsman

Let's be honest as long as we play within a bulls roar of our best we'll get the chocolates this coming week because the Bulldogs have been comprehensively shafted by the draw! They'll be playing us off consecutive 6 day breaks with the second being after they travelled, whereas we'll be coming off the back of a 9 day break. Basically its like one of the teams on Wednesday having had a 7 day break instead of 4....

This game should have been on the Saturday night because the difference between a 9 and 10 day break is insignificant whereas the difference between a 6 and 7 day break is huge especially when you're already giving up an extra 3 days recovery. We then get to the issue of planning, our coaching staff would have started planning for this match on Thursday morning so by the time the dogs start to prepare for it (Sunday morning) we'll already have our planning done and dusted and be working on match simulation at training.

This all reverts back to my reasoning behind leaving Cloke out because basically he won't be needed for us to win this week and if he's the difference between a win and loss we're in serious trouble. It'll be 17 days between matches which will give him a chance to rest that shoulder and he'll be fresh for the Cats game after a hit out against the Lions. I don't think Shaw and Thomas will come back this week either for similar reasons to Cloke as an extra 15 days rest from now will have them 100% right to go against the Lions and then match fit for the Cats (Reid may also fit that criteria as well).

Paine is the obvious replacement for Cloke as long as he performs to a decent standard today and if that doesn't happen we then bring Wood in and play Jolly up forward for longer stretches (Wood competed well against Minson last year). The Didak in is obvious and I like the thought of Seedsman having 2-3 games up then being dropped back, plus I wouldn't mind seeing what Ugle can do as the sub in 30 minutes of football as opposed to 10.

If both teams had have gone in on an even kilter it probably would have been about a 4-5 goal win to us, however their dud draw will cost them anywhere up to 4-5 goals on top of that. I realise its one of only 2 Friday night games for them throughout the year and they need the exposure. However surely the AFL could have scheduled a Friday night match between the two teams later in the year when the breaks between matches weren't so uneven :thumbsdown:

It will be interesting to see how Collingwood handle the Reid, Brown, Tarrant, Keeffe situation ...

It's great to see Keeffe playing so well as the experience he is gaining will be invaluable long term.

However, I hope the club adds another string to his bow.

I see him as the secondary ruck option/3rd tall forward.

He has the height, he is mobile enough and he is a calm user of the football by foot.

That's the role I think Collingwood desperately will need to fill and he is the prime candidate for mine because Reid and Brown are the two locks for the KPD and Tarrant is the versatile swingman.

If Keeffe can add that string to his bow, he will become a very resourceful player.

I don't think that role would suit Keeffe at all. I think it is important that a third tall forward can apply plenty of defensive pressure. Keeffe is somewhat limited in this by his size. I think to be a good ruck you need a certain level of strength and mongrel which I don't think Keeffe has. Not at the level he needs for this role. I think that we need to continue playing Keeffe as a key defender and maintain that continuity in his development.

I'd say Buckley out Shaw in, and Seedsman out for Didak. Thomas should be given another week, I'd heard somewhere that his was worse than Shaw's so he might need another week off. Though this game should be easy for us so if Shaw would benefit more with having a run in the twos then leave Buckley in.

Any other changes made would really have to do with the players workload so that they are given rest to push through the season. So that's up to Butters.

Re the Keefe suggestion, yes Quicky, i see it as a real dilema. Do you develop what is best for the team even if that is may be at conflict for whats best for the individual. There is no doubt that the best development for Keefe individually is in his current role. However we would love a 2nd ruck who can meaningfully fill another role ( or two!!).

The other arguement is if you develop individuals to their max potential then ultimately the team benefits, and factor in the timing of success windows etc.

I'd be certain the issues has been discussed at length and in detail amongst the inner sanctum!!

Re the return of Taz and Reid, i think the best equipped to play forward is now Reid, but you dont mess with an AA CHB do you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't hurt to give Reid a little time up forward I reckon, love to see it

Swoop, i think with Cloke, Dawes and a Reid forward you are stretching beyond breaking point any defence. Reid would give that difference to the trio. With any space, his ability to read the flight of the ball and float in would be a huge boost up forward. He is as good an intercept mark that there is with very clean hands. I know its a different matter to kick when you have 2 big sticks in front of you, but i think he is a more mature and confident player now.

Swoop, i think with Cloke, Dawes and a Reid forward you are stretching beyond breaking point any defence. Reid would give that difference to the trio. With any space, his ability to read the flight of the ball and float in would be a huge boost up forward. He is as good an intercept mark that there is with very clean hands. I know its a different matter to kick when you have 2 big sticks in front of you, but i think he is a more mature and confident player now.

Yeah get what you're saying however IF we have all the KPBs in ie Reid Brown Tarrant and Keeffe then that may be too many there.

Of those four, assuming you don't drop anyone, I think Reid would be best equipped to have a trial forward.

Not suggested he play forward, never to return to back line, but just give it a trial. We did have Cloke Dawes and Paine earlier, so not too much different I guess.

The other place Reid might be worth a trial is HBF/wing.
Would love to see him picking out Cloke with his raking 60metre pinpoint passing.

There'll be games where there's room for the odd positional changes looking to improve flexibility and options for when the team is under pressure.

Don't like the idea of throwing Reid around personally. He's an All Australian CHB, why not just leave him there. If it's a problem of having too many tall defenders than I'd prefer Tarrant, Keefe or even Brown to be moved around instead, Reid is too good as a back to have him anywhere else.

Reid was recruited as a forward and looks decent down there, you can only say that he might have improved as well with maturity and confidence.

This game looks like it'll be fairly easy the dogs haven't been going well as of late.

Why are we so desperate to play all 4? It can not work, and I am not all that keen for a 3rd tall forward just to accommodate the leftover tall back. There is no way Reid will play forward after his last 2 seasons, Keeffe will not play forward. We are not 100% on Tarrant's fitness just yet, so until all 4 are fit we should not even ask this question.

For some reason, Ugle reminds of a Tarkyn Lockyer. I reckon he should get another go in the next game. Bucks should have brought him on earlier in the last game. There's something about him. I reckon he could be the next big thing at Magpie land.

Anyone know his age?

For some reason, Ugle reminds of a Tarkyn Lockyer. I reckon he should get another go in the next game. Bucks should have brought him on earlier in the last game. There's something about him. I reckon he could be the next big thing at Magpie land.

Anyone know his age?

Kirk is 20 turning 21.

If anyone goes forward it should be Tarrant. He's the one that has played forward for half his career, and he's the one thats probably only got 1-2 years left in him, so it won't interfere with his development, as it would with one of the younger players.

My changes or the Bulldogs game -

Ins: Shaw, Reid, Didak, Wood
Out: Seedsman, Goldsack (unlucky),Buckley, Jolly (rested)

Good game for Didak to come back in and get run in his legs at AFL level. With 2 games in 9 days chance to rotate Jolly and give Wood another crack, Bulldog rucks not imposing. Reid and Shaw are fit and ready to come back in. Thomas 1 more week, Taz 2 weeks away.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Rd 6 - Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back