Game Day AFL Round 11 - Collingwood vs St Kilda Matchday Discussion (Etihad 7.50pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

What numbers?

Just in terms of one out and one in. We have an abundance of good mid size runners that can really make us good. Playing two rucks reduces the number of these runners we can play. We are much better with one ruck.

Just in terms of one out and one in. We have an abundance of good mid size runners that can really make us good. Playing two rucks reduces the number of these runners we can play. We are much better with one ruck.

Hmmm, still not sure but I will say 2 of our best games this year have been with 1 genuine ruck, Sydney and tonight. As I said, hmmm.

Probably more of a reflection of how good he has been. Now even a good game is just accepted as par for the course.
Always so composed with the ball and reads the play well. A young gun :thumbsu::hearts:

Im in shock at how good Langdon is at the moment. Dont think I can remember seeing a more composed 19 year old half back for us. What I love about him is that he looks like an Andrew Mackie/Corey Enright style defender. Good overhead, good composure, good at readin the play and uses the ball well. He also has a really nice long kick on him.
You'd have to say you'd take a Heath Shaw for Tom Langdon trade straight up. Langdon, Williams, Toovey and Frost fill me with confidence that our defence in the future will be extremely solid. And most importantly we will have a fresh group raring to take on the Hawks, so hopefully they wont have too many scars from the past few years. Importantly both Williams and Langdon believe the best way to stop my opponent getting the ball in a one on one, is by getting it myself.

I agree. I'd go even further and drop Keeffe, play Goldsack at CHB and add another runner.

I think that Ball, Thomas and Adams can play in the same side.

He had a very good game. I guess it is a question of can we play both Seedsman ans Young? The oppostion was very poor tonight so that question is still outstanding.

Tbh I kinda feel the opposite.

Remember, we've lost Heater, Daisy and Leon in the last 2 and a bit years. Being touted as an 'outside' player has become something of a pejorative in recent years, but the reality is that 'outside' players are just as vital as 'inside' players.

We've had trouble finding the right balance for a while. Even allowing that the opposition tonight wasn't crash hot, we looked a little more balanced with both Seeds and Young across half back.

With Pendles, Beams & Caff being automatic call-ups in the middle, we've only got so much room to carry additional 'grunt' players, particularly seeing as we (as a team) have trouble enough with our disposal efficiency as it as.

To that end, the extra midfielder tonight in place of a second ruckman might well be the route to pursue in the coming weeks. Likewise, it's highly probable that only two of Ball, Thomas and Adams will appear on the team-sheet together.

Thomas has more strings to his bow currently, and more credits in the bank - it's easier to see him playing wing or half forward. It's probably the hope that Adams will be the heir apparent to Bally, and to that end it'll likely be a case of either/or for much of this season.

If Grundy rucks alone with white as backup he will be absolutely buggered by seasons end the only reason he has lasted to now is because Witts has helped big time,did anyone take any notice of Witts pick up and goal from below his knees not too shabby for a bloke 209cms.
I would still be loathed to play either Witts or Grundy on their own with back up from White only and if I had to choose I would probably go with Witts because of the extra year in the system.

If Grundy rucks alone with white as backup he will be absolutely buggered by seasons end the only reason he has lasted to now is because Witts has helped big time,did anyone take any notice of Witts pick up and goal from below his knees not too shabby for a bloke 209cms.
I would still be loathed to play either Witts or Grundy on their own with back up from White only and if I had to choose I would probably go with Witts because of the extra year in the system.

Last week you are talking about? Was awesome for sure.

Tbh I kinda feel the opposite.

Remember, we've lost Heater, Daisy and Leon in the last 2 and a bit years. Being touted as an 'outside' player has become something of a pejorative in recent years, but the reality is that 'outside' players are just as vital as 'inside' players.

We've had trouble finding the right balance for a while. Even allowing that the opposition tonight wasn't crash hot, we looked a little more balanced with both Seeds and Young across half back.

With Pendles, Beams & Caff being automatic call-ups in the middle, we've only got so much room to carry additional 'grunt' players, particularly seeing as we (as a team) have trouble enough with our disposal efficiency as it as.

To that end, the extra midfielder tonight in place of a second ruckman might well be the route to pursue in the coming weeks. Likewise, it's highly probable that only two of Ball, Thomas and Adams will appear on the team-sheet together.

Thomas has more strings to his bow currently, and more credits in the bank - it's easier to see him playing wing or half forward. It's probably the hope that Adams will be the heir apparent to Bally, and to that end it'll likely be a case of either/or for much of this season.

Good post. I'm not sure we really need a tagger over the next couple of weeks. If we drop Caff we could possibly bring in Swan, Ball and Dwyer. The extra runners is what we need to bridge the gap to the really good sides...IMO

I agree. I'd go even further and drop Keeffe, play Goldsack at CHB and add another runner.
Tell me you are joking please,drop Keeffe who would have held the defence together,Harry,Frosty or Goldsak that does not bare thinking about especially with Maxwell and Brown out and Reid unsighted yet this season.

So, how does that work v Hawks, Swans?

Fine against Hawks. You need a genuine tall for Roughhead, but I'd rather Goldsack or Toovey over Keefe to pick up Gunstan. Maxwell to play on the resting ruck.

Sydney - Jeez how do you match up on them? but would Keeffe really be suited to any of their 3?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fine against Hawks. You need a genuine tall for Roughhead, but I'd rather Goldsack or Toovey over Keefe to pick up Gunstan. Maxwell to play on the resting ruck.

Sydney - Jeez how do you match up on them? but would Keeffe really be suited to any of their 3?
Well suited physically to Tippett and from memory did well against him in one of the matches last year, Frost 1 from 1 v Buddy.

v Hawks, playing with fire having only Frost as a KPD imo.

Tell me you are joking please,drop Keeffe who would have held the defence together,Harry,Frosty or Goldsak that does not bare thinking about especially with Maxwell and Brown out and Reid unsighted yet this season.

Are you telling me that Keeffe held the defence together? I thought he played a good game, but think that Goldsack would have done the role just as well. I don't like Goldy as a forward and would like to see a runner in his role.

My Thoughts on Game:

• Witts showed that he Needs Help with Grundy as did not think he played well as the number 1 Ruckman
  • Beams was BOG
  • J Thomas had his best game for the Club
  • Cloke Kicking some Goals Finally
  • I thought Young Bombed the Ball to Much
  • Langdon had a Shackey Start

Are you telling me that Keeffe held the defence together? I thought he played a good game, but think that Goldsack would have done the role just as well. I don't like Goldy as a forward and would like to see a runner in his role.
I think you would find Keeffe keeps his head better than all 3 I named and his footskills are far superior to Goldy.In the team tonight we had Seedsman,Harry,Young and Marley all of whom give us enough run off halfback but 1 key defender we will be in serious trouble.

My Thoughts on Game:

• Witts showed that he Needs Help with Grundy as did not think he played well as the number 1 Ruckman
  • Beams was BOG
  • J Thomas had his best game for the Club
  • Cloke Kicking some Goals Finally
  • I thought Young Bombed the Ball to Much
  • Langdon had a Shackey Start

He had good stats and was backed up very well by White, don't think not having Grundy play had any impact on the result/

He had good stats and was backed up very well by White, don't think not having Grundy play had any impact on the result/

That is bit hard to show I guess playing such a Weekside

I think you would find Keeffe keeps his head better than all 3 I named and his footskills are far superior to Goldy.In the team tonight we had Seedsman,Harry,Young and Marley all of whom give us enough run off halfback but 1 key defender we will be in serious trouble.

You're probably right about Keeffe. To be honest, I really don't like Goldsack as a forward. I want us to replace him with an extra runner. But I really like Goldy's endeavour and want to find a spot for him, but not in place of a runner in defence, so his half against Kennedy, where he admittedly got lucky with some scragging, has made me think that we could use him instead of a genuine CHB.

White adds something when he goes to the middle.
He is lazy sometimes in the forward line as he is extremely quick but goes to ground far too often... Then he rarely gets up and does a full effort chase.
Needs to develop that.
As I said, though, his speed and height make him a dynamic part time ruck.
He has a surprisingly good kick too. Can rove and ruck.

Couple of other thoughts.... Say Reid comes back in 3 weeks... Who the heck do we drop?
I mean, am I the only one who feels like we're not playing great footy yet we're top 4 and I don't know who to drop? We are such a frustrating team to watch and support...
Would surely have to go one of Grundy and witts with white for rucks...
A forward line of this;
Fasolo Cloke Goldsack
Elliot Reid Blair
..... Has a lot of strength (cloke, Reid), X factor (Faz, Elliot) and pressure (Goldy, Blair) and all can kick goals.

Sidebottom will be out for 2 weeks minimum. I think that gives us a chance to keep seed and young in. Or, blood Broomy. Broomy could probably play sidebottom's role but possibly with better disposal.

Josh Thomas has to stay in. On performance Swan doesn't come straight back in for him. Works a bit harder than Swan when he hits the deck. Made a bad hand pass tonight but hut the deck and still managed to lay a tackle, get the ball back and hand pass it out under pressure which led to a clearance.

Taylor Adams is another story... Rips it up in the vfl, then is mediocre in AFL this year.
I think the pressure is getting to him. But I think he should stay in the side. It's all well and food to say "you haven't performed, you're out"... But sometimes the coach needs to back a player and give him a few games to find his feet (the strategy currently being employed with Cloke). Adams is going to be a long term work horse for us. With Bally slowing down I would prefer to see Adams stay in the side 2 more weeks.

Only problem is who do you drop for Swan? Probs have to do straight swap for sidebottom. But then once sidebottom is back on contention I think a game in the 2's is in order.
Sidey is a great player... But he just annoys me sometimes this year. Decision making has been average at times.

Frost and keeffe are locks.... Must persist. Marley was great tonight after 2 poor weeks. Langdon is a lock.

I think bucks is going to have to do something about this disposal efficiency and clearance work. You'd think a midfield of our class would not continually get beaten in clearances. Now admittedly I haven't seen the clearance stats for tonight but I just felt like we could buy a centre clearance at certain points. Beams, Thomas, pendles + caff negating a ball winner... How is it that our clearance work is so poor?
Forward 50 entries were also very bad at times.

Hawks will eat us alive if we play like we did tonight.

This team confuses me.

White adds something when he goes to the middle.
He is lazy sometimes in the forward line as he is extremely quick but goes to ground far too often... Then he rarely gets up and does a full effort chase.
Needs to develop that.
As I said, though, his speed and height make him a dynamic part time ruck.
He has a surprisingly good kick too. Can rove and ruck.

Couple of other thoughts.... Say Reid comes back in 3 weeks... Who the heck do we drop?
I mean, am I the only one who feels like we're not playing great footy yet we're top 4 and I don't know who to drop? We are such a frustrating team to watch and support...
Would surely have to go one of Grundy and witts with white for rucks...
A forward line of this;
Fasolo Cloke Goldsack
Elliot Reid Blair
..... Has a lot of strength (cloke, Reid), X factor (Faz, Elliot) and pressure (Goldy, Blair) and all can kick goals.

Sidebottom will be out for 2 weeks minimum. I think that gives us a chance to keep seed and young in. Or, blood Broomy. Broomy could probably play sidebottom's role but possibly with better disposal.

Josh Thomas has to stay in. On performance Swan doesn't come straight back in for him. Works a bit harder than Swan when he hits the deck. Made a bad hand pass tonight but hut the deck and still managed to lay a tackle, get the ball back and hand pass it out under pressure which led to a clearance.

Taylor Adams is another story... Rips it up in the vfl, then is mediocre in AFL this year.
I think the pressure is getting to him. But I think he should stay in the side. It's all well and food to say "you haven't performed, you're out"... But sometimes the coach needs to back a player and give him a few games to find his feet (the strategy currently being employed with Cloke). Adams is going to be a long term work horse for us. With Bally slowing down I would prefer to see Adams stay in the side 2 more weeks.

Only problem is who do you drop for Swan? Probs have to do straight swap for sidebottom. But then once sidebottom is back on contention I think a game in the 2's is in order.
Sidey is a great player... But he just annoys me sometimes this year. Decision making has been average at times.

Frost and keeffe are locks.... Must persist. Marley was great tonight after 2 poor weeks. Langdon is a lock.

I think bucks is going to have to do something about this disposal efficiency and clearance work. You'd think a midfield of our class would not continually get beaten in clearances. Now admittedly I haven't seen the clearance stats for tonight but I just felt like we could buy a centre clearance at certain points. Beams, Thomas, pendles + caff negating a ball winner... How is it that our clearance work is so poor?
Forward 50 entries were also very bad at times.

Hawks will eat us alive if we play like we did tonight.

This team confuses me.
It does,but don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

We're winning:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Round 11 - Collingwood vs St Kilda Matchday Discussion (Etihad 7.50pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back