MRP / Trib. AFL Round 16 findings - Steve Johnson offered one-week ban for misconduct on Nathan Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Trade Rumours 2013
Jordan Lewis can accept a reprimand for striking Chad Wingard.
Shaun Burgoyne can accept 2 games, rough conduct against Tom Logan.
Kane Cornes can accept one match for rough conduct on Sam Mitchell.
Steve Johnson can accept one match for kneeing Nathan Jones.
Ben McGlynn can accept 3 games for striking Tom Scully.
Darren Glass can accept $900 sanction for umpire contact (should be a credit).
Andrew Embley can accept 2 games for rough conduct on Clancee Pearce.
Matthew Pavlich can accept 3 games for head-on contact on Mitch Brown.
The above according to Face Book

AFL Trade Rumours 2013
Jordan Lewis can accept a reprimand for striking Chad Wingard.
Shaun Burgoyne can accept 2 games, rough conduct against Tom Logan.
Kane Cornes can accept one match for rough conduct on Sam Mitchell.
Steve Johnson can accept one match for kneeing Nathan Jones.
Ben McGlynn can accept 3 games for striking Tom Scully.
Darren Glass can accept $900 sanction for umpire contact (should be a credit).
Andrew Embley can accept 2 games for rough conduct on Clancee Pearce.
Matthew Pavlich can accept 3 games for head-on contact on Mitch Brown.
The above according to Face Book
Face book WTFs Face book?

Any idea as to the points involved and how many he is going to be carrying here on out?

71.78 points carried forward now. He had 79.04 coming into this so stuff all difference which is the most frustrating part of it.

Steve Johnson, Geelong Cats, has been charged with a level one misconduct offence (125 demerit points, one-match sanction) for misconduct in that he kneed Nathan Jones, Melbourne, during the second quarter of the round 16 match between the Geelong Cats and Melbourne, played at Simonds Stadium on Saturday July 13, 2013.

In summary, due to his previous poor record, his one-match sanction must remain at one match, even with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Melbourne Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), low impact (one point) and body contact (one point). This is a total of four activation points, resulting in a classification of a level one offence, drawing 125 demerit points and a one-match sanction. He has an existing bad record of four matches suspended within the last two years, increasing the penalty by 20 per cent to 150 demerit points and a one-match sanction. He also has 79.04 demerit points carried over from within the last 12 months, increasing the penalty to 229.04 points and a two-match sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 171.78 points and a one-match sanction.

No point contesting as there's an immaterial difference on the carryover points which is really what we would be fighting against.

Maybe contest just so he gets 2 weeks and maybe learns a lesson. Less carryover points moving forward is then a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that means if the club appealed we stand to cop a 2 match penalty?

As stupid as SJ's actions were, don't they take into account players were sliding in the wet?

I am so frustrated with Stevie J; he is such a brilliant footballer but is now such a serious liability.

Steve Johnson, Geelong Cats, has been charged with a level one misconduct offence (125 demerit points, one-match sanction) for misconduct in that he kneed Nathan Jones, Melbourne, during the second quarter of the round 16 match between the Geelong Cats and Melbourne, played at Simonds Stadium on Saturday July 13, 2013.

In summary, due to his previous poor record, his one-match sanction must remain at one match, even with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Melbourne Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), low impact (one point) and body contact (one point). This is a total of four activation points, resulting in a classification of a level one offence, drawing 125 demerit points and a one-match sanction. He has an existing bad record of four matches suspended within the last two years, increasing the penalty by 20 per cent to 150 demerit points and a one-match sanction. He also has 79.04 demerit points carried over from within the last 12 months, increasing the penalty to 229.04 points and a two-match sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 171.78 points and a one-match sanction.

So SJ's conduct was graded the same as McKernan's elbow?

Stupid by Stevie.
I woulda though insufficient force and maybe negligent instead of reckless but oh well, stupid act deserves punishing.

I know Scully got subbed off and Stokes didn't but how does McGlynn get 3 weeks for his hit and Dawson only gets a reprimand for his hit on Stokes?

So SJ's conduct was graded the same as McKernan's elbow?

Nah he was 3 down to 2 I believe (no priors) and SJ is 2 down to 1 because of dickhead priors.

Whilst it seems an unfair discrepancy and yes the McKernan one was a disgrace, SJ has only himself to blame. If he had no priors he'd have a reprimand this week.

If McKernan had priors he would most likely be sitting out 4 weeks, possibly 5.

While i dont think the force was enough to warrant a suspension, i really dont think the wet day had anything to do with it - it wasnt a slide was it?

Nah he was 3 down to 2 I believe (no priors) and SJ is 2 down to 1 because of dickhead priors.

Whilst it seems an unfair discrepancy and yes the McKernan one was a disgrace, SJ has only himself to blame. If he had no priors he'd have a reprimand this week.

If McKernan had priors he would most likely be sitting out 4 weeks, possibly 5.

No the grading Hoffy, McKernan's elbow last week was classed as being Reckless as is SJ kneeing? One of these things is not like the other.

Honestly, I think Johnsone is a bit harsh, in years gone by it would have been seen as a bit cheeky.
I have no problems with Pav at all.

Posted this in the Pav thread.

Video is here at 40 seconds. http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/do...n-derby-thriller/story-fnelctok-1226679254011

Very very clumsy, don't really know what he was trying to do.

I think he might be in a lot of trouble. If you look at these pictures he already shapes to go the bump quite away from Brown and then gets him flush in the head.

pav.jpg

No the grading Hoffy, McKernan's elbow last week was classed as being Reckless as is SJ kneeing? One of these things is not like the other.

There is obviously an error in the way all these things are being classified. It lets blokes get away with hitting other blokes. It has to change. Why would you go the bump and risk getting 2-3-4 when you can just hit a bloke and get 1 or 2...

Should cut his pay for not being available for so many matches. He's missed 6 now since our EF last year, pull ya head in.

One week holiday, one week's pay to the casey fund and one week in the VFL should sort him out. Actually I'd like to see that from now on - if you miss a game through suspension you pay a fine that goes to a charity. :) Not sure how the AFPLA would like that one though.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. AFL Round 16 findings - Steve Johnson offered one-week ban for misconduct on Nathan Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back