Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
On form, this is what should happen, but wont. :D

Mooney out - Pods in
West out - Blake in
Corey out - Bartel in.

Re: Changes for the Pies game

I probably agree with you on Mooney. And West will never cut it in the AFL imo.

Ins: Pods, Bartel.
outs: West, and rest either one of Corey, Ling, Chapman.

I reckon we don't need two ruckmen, just rotate Hawkins & Ottens in the forwardline.

Corey is worrying me to be honest.

But I just looked up his stats and he had 12 tackles which suggests he is at least trying to have an impact.

Washup: Round 18 - Geelong V Sydney

Must admit, I didn't see much of the game, but I thought we looked pretty good. Scarlo down back was a rock. What did everyone make of West's game? Dropped a simple mark that I saw, but overall?

Re: Washup: Round 18 - Geelong V Sydney

Must admit, I didn't see much of the game, but I thought we looked pretty good. Scarlo down back was a rock. What did everyone make of West's game? Dropped a simple mark that I saw, but overall?

West rucked ok at best, but around the ground he really tried, and made a difference in general play. Blake is a better tap ruckman, but last night proved you don't need to win the tap tap taps to win overall. There appears to be a better team balance without pods and Blake.

Bit harsh on Moons there VC. 17 touches at 82% DE, 10 marks, 3 of which were contested, 4 inside 50's and 3 goals straight not enough for you? :eek:

He finally gets his kicking boots on, and people want to drop him. Unbelievable.

On form, this is what should happen, but wont. :D

Mooney out - Pods in
West out - Blake in
Corey out - Bartel in.

Mooney had 10 marks (3 contested) and 3 goals.
Corey had 12 tackles and 5 clearances.

On form you want to omit both these guys? I'm not sure how that even makes sense...

And to top it off, West did some things last night that I've never seen Blake do...

My changes would be
IN: Pods and Jimmy
OUT: West and ?. I'm just glad I don't have to make those sorts of decisions...

My changes would be
IN: Pods and Jimmy
OUT: West and ?. I'm just glad I don't have to make those sorts of decisions...

Injuries reported from the Sydney game are Corey (knee) and Stokes (calf). Depending on whose injury is worse, either could come out for Bartel.

Bit harsh on Moons there VC. 17 touches at 82% DE, 10 marks, 3 of which were contested, 4 inside 50's and 3 goals straight not enough for you? :eek:

He finally gets his kicking boots on, and people want to drop him. Unbelievable.

Exactly. This place is laughable at times.

Give it a rest.

This place is about opinions. And Moons was better last night for sure.
His past month as a whole is average.

He is getting less ball now than he was in 07,08 and we have a heavy possession game now. Some possession numbers are over rated, but not forward possessions.

The team has to have balance, and if you're going to include pods who goes out?

The dream is that west comes out and hawkins rucks. But I'm not sure that will come true. Hence the opinion.

So get stuffed. All of you.
;)

Injuries reported from the Sydney game are Corey (knee) and Stokes (calf). Depending on whose injury is worse, either could come out for Bartel.

I'm a tad confused by the Stokes injury :confused:; not once during the telecast did they mention anything about him coming off with any niggle or issue. Nor did I see him hindered by anything....

Chapman, Hunt and Ling were the worries, they all rotated on and off after they had their injuries; although the bonus was that they were all on the ground as the siren went :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

As for the INS and OUTS, I would run with West and Byrnes out, and the 2 Jimmys to come in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is getting less ball now than he was in 07,08 and we have a heavy possession game now. Some possession numbers are over rated, but not forward possessions.

A Bulldogs fan commented on this board last night that it would be hard to be a tall forward in the Geelong forward line as the likes of SJ, Chapman and Ablett would get as much ball directed their way as Moons, Pods and Hawkins would. I'd be interested to see a break down of our targets inside 50 last night. I'd say SJ would've dominated that stat.

Mooney did get beaten a few times in one on one contests in the last term, but up until then he was pretty good.

Pods isn't a walk-up start, based on his past month or so. Certainly not at Mooney's expense. If there's no spot for him, he'll have to go back to the VFL and kick a bag or two to regain his spot. It's a good problem to have.

Like it or not, if Geelong is to salute in September, a favourite or two will be on the sidelines watching, like us. That's what makes good clubs: Pressure for spots.

A Bulldogs fan commented on this board last night that it would be hard to be a tall forward in the Geelong forward line as the likes of SJ, Chapman and Ablett would get as much ball directed their way as Moons, Pods and Hawkins would. I'd be interested to see a break down of our targets inside 50 last night. I'd say SJ would've dominated that stat.

Mooney did get beaten a few times in one on one contests in the last term, but up until then he was pretty good.

Pretty sure the two occasions when Mooney was beaten both happened because the ball was kicked over his head directly to his opponent, so I don't think he can be blamed for those...

Fair call.
Mooneys lead up to the ball was much better last night. That's the issue I've had really.

On the frothies last night were we ? :eek:
Hawkins is the one to go for Pods

Yes :eek:

And I did have a think about Hawkins.
But you would expect that if they were willing to risk his foot by letting him come back that they will persevere with him.

I thought Hawkins was good last night, given the amount of game time he had. His first quarter was excellent, 7 or 8 possies. But I think Bomber was protecting him a bit just getting him through the game. I believe he has to be in the side as he takes a big strong defender meaning SJ gets a smaller one as do bartel, ablett and co. giving them an advantage in the air.

If we go into next week losing the clearances and the inside 50's like we did against the Swans, Collingwood will beat us.

yep agree the woods will smash us! if the boys dont lift around the stoppages and deference pressure.yep the cats won but still need to improve alot next week.

Westy was good and may well have saved himself from being delisted at the end of the year. Having said that he has to be dropped for the JPOD. Just quickly though, can I say if Westy gets suspended for that perfect shepherd, then the MRP is a joke.

Anyway, back to the footy.

Pods and Bartel back in.

The interesting issue is injury concerns. My feeling is we won't leave too many blokes out as this is a really important game and we need as close to a full strength side as we can get. The fact that Corey struggled in the rooms before the game (indicating it was line ball whether he played or not to begin with) whereas the others got hurt in game, tells me he's the most likely to miss.

So for me:
In: Bartel, Podsiadly
Out: Corey (knee soreness), West

Emg: West, Hunt/Hogan/Menzel

The only others possibly in doubt could be Chappy although he played out the game, I couldn't tell whether Paddle Pop was injured or he's just slowing up with age, and Stokes was listed as a calf injury, although I didn't see him get injured.

For me if any of them need to be rested Hogan is the obvious in, Menzel will be considered but I wouldn't like to send in a debutant if we could avoid it.

Boris didn't look obviously injured, he just struggled with the close checking again, so I'd play him also this week.

I would rest more of the aforementioned players in the last couple of weeks, but not this week if we can avoid it.

Blake couldn't come back after one week given what Bomber said, so clearly we'll trial Ottens/Hawkins against Jolly/Brown.

I also must add that Byrnes is fortunate Corey is injured and others are maybe in doubt, or he'd be on the precipice. He'd want to play well this week.

West was good. Lost more taps than he won (although so did Otto, and I felt Mummy beat them both) but his second effort tackles were great, and got involved in the play too. This passage of play where he took a mark in defensive 50 with a bloke on his hammer, handpassed to a runner and then shepherded for the runner (which was stupidly given as a free kick) was his highlight, along with the goal he kicked. I like that he tries to get involved in general play, even though it sometimes comes unstuck. Has potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 18 wash-up - Sydney v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back