Preview AFL Round 19 - Geelong v Collingwood, MCG, Saturday 7 August 7:10PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be a close game, which I hope we can win.
The pressure is all on Collingwood though, for mine.
A loss by any margin by us would not be the end of the world, a close loss by Collingwood would be almost a win for them as it would prove they can compete against us, something they haven't done for 2 years, but a loss by 5 goals or more would be devastating to their self-belief imo.
It's all about Didak and Davis. Sadly for the Maggies, Hunt is in close to career best form.

It's all about Didak and Davis. Sadly for the Maggies, Hunt is in close to career best form.

Let's just hope Josh's ankle comes up OK, though Balme was quoted this morning as saying Chapman, Hunt, Corey and Stokes are expected to all be available.

Agree with your other points. If the Pies win or get within a couple of goals, they will leave with the belief that they can beat us in September.. just like Hawks did v us in 2008 after a 9 point loss, or when we lost to the Saints in round 14 last year without SJ or Ottens.

A comfortable - ie five goal plus - victory to us could have them seriously doubting whether they can beat us in a big game.

Except that he wasn't having a go at you, he was having a go at One Week at a Time and Luke Darcy. But it obviously went in one ear and the other and you took it personally.

Have to say that the grading of players by Luke Darcy and Robert Walls was ridiculous. They should have set criteria for selection.

To say Collingwood had only 2 A graders and Geelong had heaps - was a bit strange for me.

As far as Ling goes - he has been the best tagger in the business for a number of years, he obviously has some leadership skills being captain and is very durable. Maybe not an A grader for some but has been a key part of our success over the past 4 years.

Kelly is just under rated. He is a very, very good player. Gets the ball often, tackles, is hard at it and is good defensively now. Surely at any other club would be considered an A grader.

As for Mackie - I do not think he is an A grader - but a good B grader.

For some reason i just always have confidence when playing the Pies....there game style is stubborn and can deterioate against our free flowing game very quickly....besides that horrendous 08' game I can't remember when we haven't been able to break a game apart for at least 15 mins.

However, the Pies are in good form and do have the potential to beat us if we are not up for it. Jolly and Ball have been good acquisitions - but hopefully now Brad has his fitness back he can deliver another solid game against the Pies.

Having Hawk as our second option will also give us a bit more edge i would imagine...although given that we have tended to loose clearance battles from time to time, we might miss Blakey's ruckwork.

Got confidence with our matchups for Cloke and Dawes, and never worried about leon or didak as with Enright and Hunt we probably have the right matchups here. I think Gaj will find it a bit tougher in the forward line this week as Harry O'Brien is a good matchup for him when he pushes forward...but that effectively stops a lot of run that Collingwood can expect out of the back half as i doubt he would be too keen to run off Ablett.

Swan is going to be interesting .... not happy sending Ling to him as he has got a few more yards of pace - maybe around the stoppages, but i think we will have to watch the quick spread of play which the pies do well.

One thing that gives me the most confidence is that we will force the majority of their attacks wide - we are simply too strong down the corridor. Therefore Collingwood will have to have their kicking boots on ... which they are always 50-50 on.

Oh, another important point is that we will be able to spread their defense like they probalby wouldn't expect - can't imagine Maxwell making too many 3rd man ups if we have Stevie J in a pocket, Pods and Mooney providing the contest and Hawkins and Gaj providing scoring avenues as well.....

Objectively I think the Pies are in better form than us.

It seems to me they few injuries and are at the height of their powers.

Cats look ok but I think we have a fair bit of improvement in us as the finals roll on.

Secondly I think we have a few injuries and players underdone at present - and we have not played with anywhere near a full team for any period of time this year.

For these reasons (and Coll. have more to lose than the Cats IMO) - we could even see a Pies win. It is not a game I am overly confident about.

However I am far more confident about a rematch come finals time - when we will be much better prepared and probably will have a slightly better team on the park.

However if we do beat them THIS Saturday - that will even lower the odds for me of a Collingwood beating us in a final.

For some reason i just always have confidence when playing the Pies....there game style is stubborn and can deterioate against our free flowing game very quickly....besides that horrendous 08' game I can't remember when we haven't been able to break a game apart for at least 15 mins.

However, the Pies are in good form and do have the potential to beat us if we are not up for it. Jolly and Ball have been good acquisitions - but hopefully now Brad has his fitness back he can deliver another solid game against the Pies.

Having Hawk as our second option will also give us a bit more edge i would imagine...although given that we have tended to loose clearance battles from time to time, we might miss Blakey's ruckwork.

Got confidence with our matchups for Cloke and Dawes, and never worried about leon or didak as with Enright and Hunt we probably have the right matchups here. I think Gaj will find it a bit tougher in the forward line this week as Harry O'Brien is a good matchup for him when he pushes forward...but that effectively stops a lot of run that Collingwood can expect out of the back half as i doubt he would be too keen to run off Ablett.

Swan is going to be interesting .... not happy sending Ling to him as he has got a few more yards of pace - maybe around the stoppages, but i think we will have to watch the quick spread of play which the pies do well.

One thing that gives me the most confidence is that we will force the majority of their attacks wide - we are simply too strong down the corridor. Therefore Collingwood will have to have their kicking boots on ... which they are always 50-50 on.

Oh, another important point is that we will be able to spread their defense like they probalby wouldn't expect - can't imagine Maxwell making too many 3rd man ups if we have Stevie J in a pocket, Pods and Mooney providing the contest and Hawkins and Gaj providing scoring avenues as well.....

Agree. Pies are in good form no doubt. But I think we still have the wood on them (pun intended) and we match up really good vs the Pies.

Personally, I think we will be more troubled by the Doggies next week then the cwood this week. Still it should not be taken lightly otherwise that good ole game in 08 will resurface again.

Oh and another thing...isn't Pies always in hot form when they come to a clash against us?

Re: Malthouse v Thompson

This is perfect, I had an argument with my mate a couple of days ago about who was the better coach over the last 10 years. Don't know how you can argue against Thompson (2 flags to none) but your link as helped to shut him up for good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams don't need to force the Pies wide. They go wide anyways.

Oh and another thing...isn't Pies always in hot form when they come to a clash against us?

They generally are... it was 1 v 2 earlier in the year when we played them and we've obviously met in a couple of big finals.

The scene couldn't be better set for Saturday night, I'm really looking for it.

5 things I hope to see:

1. Gaz to continue his ripping form
2. JPod to kick 3+ and prove he can perform on the big stage
3. Enright to absolutely smash Didak
4. Ottens to reprise his 2007 prelim heroics
5. Scarlett and Harry to keep Cloke and Dawes to one goal between them

the biggest finals implication for this game IMO is the placing of which potential week 2 final each team could be in if they lose their qualifying final..(i know that looking ahead but its important)

if we win then its liekly we would/could finish on top of the ladder and being in the 1 v 4 final means if we were to lose week 1 we would play the 5 v 8 elimination winner, which will probably either be freo at the G or a team like melbourne or sydney...quite a nice ride for the pies or cats

if we lose this week we will be in the 2 v 3 first final and if we were to lose that then we would probably play hawthorn who should be the winner of the 6 v 7 elimination final. A much tougher scenario..

No doubt im quite confident that once week 1 of the finals clicks over we should knock off the dogs or saints, however either team could beat us and send us to the semi final round...

Teams don't need to force the Pies wide. They go wide anyways.

Whilst that is true, the noticeable thing about there recent 5+ games of good form is that they have straightened their attacks up and had more set shots in the 45 degree arc then out wide. With Harry Taylor, Lonergan, Scarlett, as posts and an array of attacking defenders who like to rebound straight through the guts, we have an effect of pushing the majority of Collingwood's f50 entries into the outer flanks..... as was evident in perhaps the last 3 or so games where Collingwood have had periods of ascendancy but missed tough shots.

They generally are... it was 1 v 2 earlier in the year when we played them and we've obviously met in a couple of big finals.

The scene couldn't be better set for Saturday night, I'm really looking for it.

5 things I hope to see:

1. Gaz to continue his ripping form
2. JPod to kick 3+ and prove he can perform on the big stage
3. Enright to absolutely smash Didak
4. Ottens to reprise his 2007 prelim heroics
5. Scarlett and Harry to keep Cloke and Dawes to one goal between them

Lonergan will take Cloke as he did earlier in year. Scarlett will most likely play on a lesser light - but as usual the load will be shared.

I don't think we can expect too much of Ottens. His form has not been great, but no doubt he will provide that extra bit of grunt around the packs....would be nice to see him push deep forward occasionally as this has been something that has worried the pies in the past.

Gaz and Chapman are always my big two for the pies game....both have a history of playing absolute crackers against them. However, this game i really think that James Kelly will provide us with a bit more than usual.

One other thing - and i think we are pretty good at this - is making sure we curtail the left footers! Didak, Johnson, Pendelbury and Cloke inparticular - they all are very one sided, but do each have thumping kicks. They always look to swing onto the left, so we need to be sharp in ensuring that we allways block there natural swing around to the left.

Actually - the other bloody annoying thing about the Pies is the stupid Blocking the player on the mark tactic that you always see O'brien pulling off. Whilst it is legal, it is borderline unethical - but as long as we are aware of it we should be able to avoid it!!

Its easy to assess an opposition coach in a poor light. However I think Malthouse is a good coach - and seems to get his teams to regularly to play at or above their talent level. Premierships are the ultimate assessment of a coach - but many do a very good job with reasonable teams - that will never win a Premiership.

I seriously rate the Pies this year - as momentum counts. List for list - I would back the Cats - but where you team is at when the finals come - does also matter.

Objectively I think the Pies are in better form than us.

It seems to me they few injuries and are at the height of their powers.

Cats look ok but I think we have a fair bit of improvement in us as the finals roll on.

Secondly I think we have a few injuries and players underdone at present - and we have not played with anywhere near a full team for any period of time this year.

For these reasons (and Coll. have more to lose than the Cats IMO) - we could even see a Pies win. It is not a game I am overly confident about.

However I am far more confident about a rematch come finals time - when we will be much better prepared and probably will have a slightly better team on the park.

However if we do beat them THIS Saturday - that will even lower the odds for me of a Collingwood beating us in a final.

I agree that they are in peak form whereas we are till closing in on it. We will have to play very well to beat them.
But their peak form is still not as good as ours.
We went through this exact scenario in Rd 9 when they had won 5 in a row and were seen as equal Premiership favourites.
They are very well coached, extremely disciplined and all, but they rely on the same old players who fail in big matches to win games for them.
Thomas, Didak, Cloke, Davis etc.
Nothing new here.

Its easy to assess an opposition coach in a poor light. However I think Malthouse is a good coach - and seems to get his teams to regularly to play at or above their talent level. Premierships are the ultimate assessment of a coach - but many do a very good job with reasonable teams - that will never win a Premiership.

I seriously rate the Pies this year - as momentum counts. List for list - I would back the Cats - but where you team is at when the finals come - does also matter.

Interesting on Malthouse - a good coach yes. However, Malcom Blight was a good coach between 89-94 and then became a great coach when he took the Crows back to back - later of course he became a Shit coach when being hacked by the aint's!

Mick has coached three teams. I agree with Sheedy, he inherited a very strong outfit with plenty of advantages at West Toast and then came to a Collingwood side which has been aided by the best football department and conditions that money can buy. I personally believe that although the Pies have been very much a finals side over the better part of the decade they really have not been a serious premiership threat until this year and their style is quite often deplorable. However, saying this, you can't fault Mick aside from his stranger than fiction quotations that he pulls out of his ass....will always rate Sheedy as the better coach.

Now consider Mark Thompson coming to the Geelong football club at its darkest hour - at a time when others where passing up the opportunity - and look at what he has achieved - that to me is a great coach.

The Pies are flying at the moment. As already mentioned by a few posters, the Pies play around the wings. However the one thing they do is that they always have a player one kick behind the play at stoppages, whether they be in the centre, around the ground or at throw ins. That player is usually O'Brien or Maxwell. This allows them to do one of two things:
1) Use that player out the back of the clearance and that player usually spreads the ball quickly over to the open side of the ground.
2) If there is a quick kick out of the centre by the opposition, they are able to get numbers to the marking contest to either spoil or mark.
Carlton fell for this trap time and again on the weekend and by the time they woke up to it, it was too late.
To counter this we must either make that spare player accountable by using the player they have left loose or use our spare player in a similar vein behind the stoppages and hit them where it hurts.
Having Caracella in our ranks will be an advantage. He will know a fair bit about their structures.

I agree that they are in peak form whereas we are till closing in on it. We will have to play very well to beat them.
But their peak form is still not as good as ours.
We went through this exact scenario in Rd 9 when they had won 5 in a row and were seen as equal Premiership favourites.
They are very well coached, extremely disciplined and all, but they rely on the same old players who fail in big matches to win games for them.
Thomas, Didak, Cloke, Davis etc.
Nothing new here.

Yep - I agree. What has cost them is poor performances by big named players in big games. However all they can do at this point in time - is play as well as they can and hope that these players do play a good role into the finals. They have a few better players around them I think this time around (Coll. young players) and have momentum up at present.

It is hard to stay up for a large number of games - which might become a concern for the Pies as we get closer to the finals - but sometimes a good team can just have a day out - and beat any team.

Interesting on Malthouse - a good coach yes. However, Malcom Blight was a good coach between 89-94 and then became a great coach when he took the Crows back to back - later of course he became a Shit coach when being hacked by the aint's!

Mick has coached three teams. I agree with Sheedy, he inherited a very strong outfit with plenty of advantages at West Toast and then came to a Collingwood side which has been aided by the best football department and conditions that money can buy. I personally believe that although the Pies have been very much a finals side over the better part of the decade they really have not been a serious premiership threat until this year and their style is quite often deplorable. However, saying this, you can't fault Mick aside from his stranger than fiction quotations that he pulls out of his ass....will always rate Sheedy as the better coach.

Now consider Mark Thompson coming to the Geelong football club at its darkest hour - at a time when others where passing up the opportunity - and look at what he has achieved - that to me is a great coach.

I think coaches have weaknesses and strengths like players. Over time they can also learn new things and become better coaches - as you would expect.

For me what Thompson brings to the table - with Costa and Cooke - is integrity and commitment. Their efforts aligned with other key people like recruiting staff and secondary coaches they put in place has probably changed the culture of the club more than any people have in the past.

Thompson deserves all the accolades and awards he wins.

However I think until recently he was not that good a day game coach - making moves and creating good game plans against individual teams.

I think Malthouse has been a good coach in all areas - and yes he certainly had more to work with when you arrive at WC or Coll (not so at Footscray). Thompson and Co had to basically rebuild the whole club - and then when a Premiership. So I get your point Gaz Brownlow.

However I still think Malthouse has done as good as job as could have been expected of him. Hitting the Lions at a time when you had a team that just might get you that elusive Cup - has ruined his chances to win one early at Collingwood. Timing in life can be very important to any outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 19 - Geelong v Collingwood, MCG, Saturday 7 August 7:10PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back