Preview AFL Round 3 - Geelong v Carlton, Etihad Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 13 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be as simple as he's only played a hand full of games and where doing the right thing this time of year playing what the MC thinks is the best 22.
Taking up @bulletproof's point, I think best 22 right now has him in there given our clearance woes.

I think you're right about not needing him, but your comment seems unreasonably harsh on the earlier post.
He aint heavy, he's my brother.
No not true.

But I agree with VC, it was a crazy question, but that's how I felt when I read Brown was out. CS/MC have always the knowledge we don't have, but we are allowed to be disappointed. Anyway, thanks for the support.
I do like the look of our team, full of X FACTORS AND SPEED.

If henderspud goes to Hawkins we win.
Comfortably.
And that's if we only count Hawkins score.

Hawkins is gonna be tough to stop this game anyways, no matter who they assign to him.
He's been solid so far but not at the high level he was playing last year but this Carlton defense is always a nervous bunch and they were clearly shown up against the Richmond talls and then last week, Cloke did what he wanted for most of the game

We have fought out a few games and got over the line .... But we are getting smashed in clearances which is not a healthy sign. Corey and GHS could both contribute in same side and help ease discrepancies in the clearances.
With out quality rucks were going to get smashed in the clearances Gaz,so it's important to have players who can get back then quickly forward to create scoring opportunities,MC ARE GOING ALL OUT PACE FOR THIS GAME.

What i want to see this week

(1) A good strong start -honestly watching Geelong the last couple of years with these dicey starts -its a bit like watching a Test opening batsman-where everything in the 1st hour goes through the Gully or the slips -bit of a knightmare to watch actually

(2) Chris Scott -to pull the trigger early on the sub again -maybe even at half time this week -if someones a liability and having a shocker -perhaps Corey or Blicavs -then no mucking around get em off . Stokes won the game for Geelong last week.
Horses for courses. Last week was perfect timing for Stokes for multiple reasons, but circumstances are so different this week, we'll just have to wait & see how it unfolds. Anything (INJURY) could happen that could affect the use of a sub, and who will it be?

Murdoch forward?
He'd just be another 6ft'3 sized player who Carlton would struggle to find a match-up on

High half forward/wing I'd reckon.
Re: the sub. I'm really unsure about this, I would think after stokes success as the sub last week that Scotty will use it tactically and have a starting 18 player as sub, maybe Duncan? Smedts possibly?
The only other I could think of would be Murdoch but that would be going back on the "traditional" use of the sub as someone who was 22nd picked.
I'm unsure.

Smedts possibly?
The only other I could think of would be Murdoch but that would be going back on the "traditional" use of the sub as someone who was 22nd picked.
I'm unsure.

yeh forgot about Smedts, now he's one who's really beginning to cause a few worries in short bursts as we have already seen this year and he's also another tough match up because he takes an overhead mark, is very quick and is again 6ft'3.
Makes me wonder when Stringer and Sheringham will get a game soon.

Wonder if possibly someone like Chapman will play as the sub this week, rotations due to the short week but he'd be a similar type to Stokes, his impact would be quite explosive halfway through the 3rd quarter

I think Waite and Betts are big losses for Carlton, so I'm fairly confident going into this one. Jamison will go to Hawk and he's a good defender, but I think we can catch them out by going to Pods a bit more. I don't think they have a good second tall defender to stop him.

They'll need to dominate us in the midfield (which could happen if we're not careful) to beat us. I think if we can just break even in the midfield we'll win because we're stronger everywhere else.

He didn't want to kick any goals?

didn't have to as he played further up the field and it opened up their forward line for the smalls to do all the damage.
Was terrific coaching actually and something Malthouse wouldn't have expected.
Cloke gathered 15 disposals, 7 marks, 5 inside 50's and contributed with 2 goal assists, pretty good numbers imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see only Hampson, Kreuzer and possibly Rowe as the only talls who will play down forward for at least a quarter or two.
If Geelong went in with Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie and Brown (or Rivers), we get exposed by a mid/small such as a Garlett, Walker or possibly Judd so I can see why the exclusion of Brown came about.

I reckon Henderson may go to Hawkins and Jamison to Pods, although I'd love that Hawkins match-up if I were the Cats hierarchy ;)
But both KPD's will rotate if need be.

We need to do something with Yarran, his run from the back-line has been eerily similar to Varcoe, the speed and goal kicking ability along with the exceptional one percenters per game could cause us worries.

Hence Murdoch gets a game as a defensive forward on Yarran?

didn't have to as he played further up the field and it opened up their forward line for the smalls to do all the damage.
Was terrific coaching actually and something Malthouse wouldn't have expected.
Cloke gathered 15 disposals, 7 marks, 5 inside 50's and contributed with 2 goal assists, pretty good numbers imo.

No doubt their smalls smashed us, but this had little to do with Cloke. Jamo killed him, and I doubt the Pies would be happy with 2 goal assists each week from their million dollar man.

Maybe because Rivers can really only play in defence. They tried him forward last year in desperation.
But Brown is a natural winger, hff being TRIED in defence. I really rate him, perhaps too highly as it seems.
That's why I asked about his future in our team.

I have nothing against brown, but he is never played for any period of time. A game here or there, and then he is dropped. Surely if Scott thought he was an important part of Geelongs future he would get more gametime as opposed to three games a year. Hawkins struggled for the first couple of seasons yet the coaches knew their was alot of potential there (even if us fans questioned it) and thus he was played alot and given alot of time to develop. Brown has had no such luxury.

I would be surprised if he is still around come next season.

I have nothing against brown, but he is never played for any period of time. A game here or there, and then he is dropped. Surely if Scott thought he was an important part of Geelongs future he would get more gametime as opposed to three games a year. Hawkins struggled for the first couple of seasons yet the coaches knew their was alot of potential there (even if us fans questioned it) and thus he was played alot and given alot of time to develop. Brown has had no such luxury.

I would be surprised if he is still around come next season.
That is what I fear, but there are real extenuating circumstances that have kept him out, like INJURIES, and confidence issues after these injuries. He is young and tall and talented, and that combination is not as easy to pick up compared to the ubiquitous 186 cm types.

15 minutes? Maybe even Demons could do that for 15 minutes.
Our strengths are evidently so far, not in that area. And they weren't in 2011 either. We have different talented players, and it could well be a tactic anyway if we are getting the ball back from HB more often than not??
In other words, is it that vital?

Blake seems to think so

Geelong must drag itself from a midfield rut, which has it ranked last for clearances, before it becomes too costly, assistant coach Blake Caracella says.
The Cats are averaging just 28.5 clearances a game, three fewer than cellar-dweller Melbourne.
While the season is just two games old and Geelong has tackled Hawthorn and North Melbourne's talented midfields, Caracella said it was vital the Cats won more ball from stoppages, starting against a star-studded Carlton on Saturday night.

"If we finish last for the year (in clearances) then it's going to be hard to be successful," Caracella said.

Source: The Addy

Recon Murdoch is a good chance to be sub. Played that role well in the saints game last year it was the best game I've seen him play.
Also have a feeling they are holding off on playing Horlin-Smith until we get Macintosh in for Blicavs. Probably would be too inexperienced if we had them both in the same side atm, espesially with all the other sub-50 gamers we have.
Like our pace and strong forward line on paper.

We should beat these pansies. No Waite and especially no Betts just fills me with confidence. He killed us last time. Laidler is a handy out too as I recon he's their 2nd best defender.

No mention of Tom's 100th game on the The Footy Show, and several of the panellists are tipping an upset. Unbelievable.

It's more important how we regard Tom than how that vaudeville show does Winty.

The last couple of games v the Blues have been close when we were playing better than we are now. If we play as we did in the first half last week we’ll get done.

Not surprised.
Maybe Tom should go out and bash a few guys into hospital, go to jail then get paroled.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised either. That show has gone downhill fast. I guess getting to a segment where Sam had two dozen mice dumped on his head was more important than doing what you'd think a show titled "The Footy Show" would do, and that is actually discuss the sport.

No mention of Tom's 100th game on the The Footy Show, and several of the panellists are tipping an upset. Unbelievable.

I dont think its entirely unreasonable. Geelong were huge favourites last week as well and we almost got done, and North are in a similar position then Carlton in terms of form. Carltons small forwards are still semi-worrying even without Betts.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised either. That show has gone downhill fast. I guess getting to a segment where Sam had two dozen mice dumped on his head was more important than doing what you'd think a show titled "The Footy Show" would do, and that is actually discuss the sport.
Mate, I left Australia 13 years ago and it was already rubbish then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back