Preview AFL Round 3 - Geelong v Carlton, Etihad Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 13 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm saying a balanced side INCLUDES Rivers/Brown hence, he plays.

Guess what, just because you might not like him doesnt mean others do too and that doesnt make it a "ridiculous nonsensical desperation" to include him in the side. You dont like him, congrats, I think he deserves another game.

When did I say I didn't like him? I like him just fine and was perfectly happy for him to play against North and would be fine with him staying in this side if I thought we needed that type of player against Carlton but I just don't think we will.

Given the circumstances, you'd think that if Mitch is a selection casualty this week the signs aren't good for him long term. :(

This too. It's not all over for him but will be tough to get another look in.

You need to read what I quoted and the discussion leading to that.

I'm not saying that will happen but really couldnt think he would be in long term plans if he is dropped the week after his first game of the year with no Rivers. If he cant get a game now he wont all year.
I was just expressing.
He is only 22 for most of this season, and would easily win the VFL B&F, and would be a beautiful pickup for next year. No I can't see that. Or I don't want to see that. He gets a chance to play this April and show some versatility.
On Sunday, we needed a tall defender, this week, we may need him elsewhere. Anywhere. You play your best available players, and that he is. He 'll have to be flexible enough to play anywhere, and that he can.

You need to read what I quoted and the discussion leading to that.

I'm not saying that will happen but really couldnt think he would be in long term plans if he is dropped the week after his first game of the year with no Rivers. If he cant get a game now he wont all year.
And so do you mate.
There are a lot of people suggesting we dont need another tall. Rivers or Brown.
It wouldn't be the end for either of them to be left out on balance.

I was just expressing.
He is only 22 for most of this season, and would easily win the VFL B&F, and would be a beautiful pickup for next year. No I can't see that. Or I don't want to see that. He gets a chance to play this April and show some versatility.
On Sunday, we needed a tall defender, this week, we may need him elsewhere. Anywhere. You play your best available players, and that he is. He 'll have to be flexible enough to play anywhere, and that he can.

I agree and thats why I reckon if hes dropped then the MC have stamped his papers.
A VFL B&F would make it official :p

And so do you mate.
There are a lot of people suggesting we dont need another tall. Rivers or Brown.
It wouldn't be the end for either of them to be left out on balance.

I know what the discussion was about, some were saying we dont need that 3rd tall since the Blues arent that tall with Waite out, some said that if we left the 3rd tall out then they would try to exploit us for height by playing an extra tall or 2. (I'd also argue he's not a traditional tall anyway).
Then someone said about using Mackie as he plays pretty tall or Thurlow to come in as he is in that middle height group.
I said that IMO it was irrelevant as we needed to get games into Brown while we had the chance to see how we would go for our long term plans, then got jumped on for it.
Why have a kid running around in the VFL when the spot is there for him to prove his worth, or not, in the AFL? I'd rather be able to look back in a months time and either say "yep we know now he will make it" or "nope, he's gone" with confidence instead of what we have now, "well he's talented but hasnt been given opportunities".

Fair enough.
I actually think Brown can play on a mid sized forward to be honest.
Say 185cm
So he may gain confidence with a bit of reach whilst not being beaten for agility.

Excessive pace is a different ball game of course.

As others have said -Carlton aernt overly tall with Waite out -so i would give Thurlow a game in preference to Brown

Thurlow looks like a natural -he can read the play -where as Brown -jeez id love to know how many members of the Brown fan club would want him in -if their life was riding on the game

Looking forward to this one! Trying to get some last minute tickets, does anyone know which end the Geelong cheer squad will be? Or how to find out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting aside potential match ups, if the MC ever considered playing Brown, now is the perfect time, with riv out. I could understand leaving him out being the extra tall on the chopping block match up wise, but if dropped based on his output last game that'd be a bit harsh. He by no means had a stinker, and most of the team barring bundy had an atrocious first half.

KPDs don't grow on trees. Lonergan took his time and i personally thought HT was a gumby when i first saw him, couldn't have been more bloody wrong!

Should be a tight game, if we break even in the midfield, and we manage to limit the output of their selfish mosquito fleet, we should win. I don't see their backline containing hawky or podsy for 4 quaters, and all it takes is one to break it open.

Lonners, Taylor and Mackie are enough for the blues forward line.

I'd bring in Thurlow for Brown.

Brown needs games but there is no point being top heavy against a side with more runners. Let him go back to the VFL work on what he needs to and get his confidence back up.

Lonners, Taylor and Mackie are enough for the blues forward line.

I'd bring in Thurlow for Brown.

Brown needs games but there is no point being top heavy against a side with more runners. Let him go back to the VFL work on what he needs to and get his confidence back up.
Thinking about it more, I think Brown will be a good match up for Walker. Walker is still very much a lead up forward and although small, relies more on marking strengths to produce goals. I think he can do a job and hope he gets his chance to consolidate.

If Brown gets that confidence up he will surprise quite a few with his ability to hurt teams the other way.

KPDs don't grow on trees. Lonergan took his time and i personally thought HT was a gumby when i first saw him, couldn't have been more bloody wrong!
For the umpteenth time Brown is not a key position defender and never will be. Time won't change that. He is at best a taller Mackie type.

And don't dare bring Taylor into that discussion it is just completely absurd he was terrific from day dot.

As others have said -Carlton aernt overly tall with Waite out -so i would give Thurlow a game in preference to Brown

Thurlow looks like a natural -he can read the play -where as Brown -jeez id love to know how many members of the Brown fan club would want him in -if their life was riding on the game

wouldn't Thurlow be rewarded for doing nothing though?

I rate the kid myself and he'll be fine from game 1 but not sure it would sit well with other kids who have done well pre season only to miss now when the real stuff begins.

Could say the same about Thurlow though. With all due respect to him, he has shown most of us little more than the ability to make some clean disposals in the back half. I've got no idea what he's like in a one-on-one contest against a medium or small forward.

If Rivers isn't right it might open the door for Thurlow to debut in place of Brown against the smaller Carlton forward line.

All that does is clearly tell Brown he's finished. He's been on the list for several years now, so if there is an opening because Rivers is till injured, it'd be pretty illogical to deny him.

Possible changes for both teams since last time they met
ins: Carrazzo, Casboult, Davies, Hampsen, Laidler, Lucas, Murphy, Rowe, Tuohy
outs: Betts, Duigan, Ellard, Joseph, Warnock

ins: Blicavs, Brown, Caddy, Christensen, Podsiadly, Smedts
outs: Guthrie, Hunt, Scarlett, Stephenson, Stringer, Wojcinski

We did the same with Blake in his last year. Kingsley as well. Don't think its absurd if there are others ahead of him.
So are we regarding Brown in the same category as Blake and Kingsley, at 22? I think not, he is a lot more versatile and has a lot to offer; he was our earliest draft pick in his year. Waste ++ IF what you suggest could happen actually does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back