Preview AFL Round 3 - Geelong v Gold Coast Suns, Simonds Stadium, Sunday April 19 3.20pm

What do you expect the result to be?

• Geelong by 48+points

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Geelong by 24-48 points

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Geelong by 1-24 points

Votes: 35 28.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Gold Coast by 1-24 points

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Gold Coast by 24-48 points

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Gold Coast by 48+ points

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a long term sceptic of three tall defenders plus Mackie. I think now that our backs are under more pressure than in previous years we can't just play the six best defenders regardless of height and back them in to win. We need to pick based on match ups for the opposition.
Yep. I've noticed the last 2 games teams aren't kicking it in high and long too much, which is easy pickings for us. They are holding off and pinpointing it in or going in sort of Paegans paddock style.
To many tall defenders can't cover this.
Also the loose man has really hurt us last 2 games. Might be worth actually putting another tall in the forward line.

Yep. I've noticed the last 2 games teams aren't kicking it in high and long too much, which is easy pickings for us. They are holding off and pinpointing it in or going in sort of Paegans paddock style.
To many tall defenders can't cover this.
Also the loose man has really hurt us last 2 games. Might be worth actually putting another tall in the forward line.
The loose man makes me mad. Freo had theirs right in front of Clark and Hawk making life difficult. Yet how many times did we bomb it in long almost straight to that player?

On the flipside, Freo was able to chip passes to unmarked players standing 40m out from goal. Where was our loose? Nowhere to be seen.

Walker in for Simpson. Stanley to ruck with Blitz helping out.
I don't mind the 3 tall forwards, with Lang, Gregson and to a lesser extent Cockatoo, we not so slow up forward and have the ability to put on more forward pressure and not allow the ball to come out as easily. Walker can play up the ground a bit more and with his tank has the ability to be an option around the ground as Hawk & Clark don't seem to want to leave the forward 50.
I felt a few times against Freo when we had the ball around half back we had no big men presenting up the ground forcing us to kick sideways and backwards. I'd like our forwards to get on the move a bit more rather than just stick there hands up and say kick it to me. The freo defenders were at times able to double team Hawkins.
Walker at least deserves his chance.

Don't agree. And what do you have to back this up? Some overweight, caffeine heads on the Hawks thread? Solid. ;)

No other small defender has done a better job since, not in a key role. Nor has any other matched Hunt's efficiency and rebound 50 effectiveness by foot. Something we've struggled with since. I think he deserved one more year. As I said though, it's all in the past. The fact that no one has filled his void says enough.

Hunt was cooked but he hasn't been replaced.

Guthrie was good but he isn't an elite kick and they moved him to get beat up by bigger and better mids.

Even Varcoe has elite kicking but they booted him.

For all the crap that Brown got he is a great kick for his size.

The backline has a whole heap of problems now. Too slow, not agile enough, average disposal (Mackie and Taylor are good kicks when they have space), no line breakers.

They add to the problem by playing Blicavs there as well and not moving Enright on.

Need to go smaller much smaller and hope with enough experience the smalls can learn to play a bit taller. Also need to find someone with a penetrating kick. Murdoch is the only one really but he would need to be persisted with cos his reading of the play is poor.

The loose man makes me mad. Freo had theirs right in front of Clark and Hawk making life difficult. Yet how many times did we bomb it in long almost straight to that player?

On the flipside, Freo was able to chip passes to unmarked players standing 40m out from goal. Where was our loose? Nowhere to be seen.
3rd 1/4 it was Mackie. And im not fingering him per se , but Freo adapted to the structures in front of them and countered. There were about 4 goals oin 8 minutes where Freo had a +1 at the clearances and, funnily enough, cleared it and then hit up a MF in front of our +1. And went on and on.

Now, Mackie was the +1. But its impossible for him to depend the short low ball to a MF at the 45 when he is playing deeper as the +1.

TO me that is tape study, watching how we play and having options to counter it.

By the time the +1 ( Mackie, ) went back to man on man, it was over.

Now im also not having a shot a CS either as I have no idea who deals with that etc and Im not presuming to know. But if it happens again and again, there are lesson not being learnt.

GO Catters

3rd 1/4 it was Mackie. And im not fingering him per se , but Freo adapted to the structures in front of them and countered. There were about 4 goals oin 8 minutes where Freo had a +1 at the clearances and, funnily enough, cleared it and then hit up a MF in front of our +1. And went on and on.

Now, Mackie was the +1. But its impossible for him to depend the short low ball to a MF at the 45 when he is playing deeper as the +1.

TO me that is tape study, watching how we play and having options to counter it.

By the time the +1 ( Mackie, ) went back to man on man, it was over.

Now im also not having a shot a CS either as I have no idea who deals with that etc and Im not presuming to know. But if it happens again and again, there are lesson not being learnt.

GO Catters
I had in mind a few occasions where a Freo player had a mark or free 50-70m out from goal so the play was stopped. Congested D50 but for some inexplicable reason our +1 wasn't guarding the most dangerous space - 40m out from goal. We generally had a ruckman back in the goalsquare too. Just bad planning, structures, coaching, implementation of plans, etc.

752026-corey-enright.jpg
MALCESKI%20Nick.png
Smith_Showdown_CYCLER.jpg

1 - Enright has never been what I'd consider a 'key post' defender. Sometimes, but rarely has he ever taken the best small forwards routinely - this was typically done by either David Johnson or Josh Hunt for the majority of Enright's career - Kelly (sought of) since Hunt retired. Obviously this is so Enright is freed up to do what he does best, which is in the teams interest. Enright isn't quick off the line either, which is very important in that key role for smalls.

2 - Why have you put up pictures of opposition players? Just like their faces do you? This is the Geelong board. Why would I be talking about anyone outside of the GFC? :cool:

In: effort.

Out: laziness.

That's the only change I'd like to see, apart from drowning Simpson in the pool behind the ground.

In: effort.

Out: laziness.

That's the only change I'd like to see, apart from drowning Simpson in the pool behind the ground.

Like it. Chris Scott need only push for hardness at the footy and defensive pressure this week. NOT this obsession with the opponent while one on one in a contest... Being more concerned with your opponent rather than the ball screams of laziness, re-activeness and no confidence. It's where we're at.

In addition...

Out: Crying to the umpires, soft aggression (cheap shots, starting fights)

Toyota AFL Premiership Season Ladder
SEASON
2015 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1996 1993
ROUND
All RoundsAll RoundsRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7Round 8Round 9Round 10Round 11Round 12Round 13Round 14Round 15Round 16Round 17Round 18Round 19Round 20Round 21Round 22Round 23
Advanced Options

Pos Club C P W L D F A % Form Next Pts
1 ADELAdelaide Crows No Change 2 2 0 0 230 126 182.5 WW MELB 8
2 SYDSydney Swans Up 2 2 0 0 164 104 157.7 WW GWS 8
3 GWSGWS Giants Up 2 2 0 0 188 134 140.3 WW SYD 8
4 FREFremantle Up 2 2 0 0 179 128 139.8 WW WCE 8
5 WBWestern Bulldogs Up 2 2 0 0 182 153 119 WW HAW 8
6 HAWHawthorn Down 2 1 1 0 199 139 143.2 WL WB 4
7 WCEWest Coast Eagles Up 2 1 1 0 218 159 137.1 LW FRE 4
8 STKSt Kilda Up 2 1 1 0 182 163 111.7 LW COLL 4
9 RICHRichmond Down 2 1 1 0 171 163 104.9 WL BL 4
10 NMFCNorth Melbourne Up 2 1 1 0 196 191 102.6 LW PORT 4
11 ESSEssendon Up 2 1 1 0 138 148 93.2 LW CARL 4
12 COLLCollingwood Down 2 1 1 0 149 164 90.9 WL STK 4
13 MELBMelbourne Down 2 1 1 0 171 190 90 WL ADEL 4
14 GCFCGold Coast Suns Up 2 0 2 0 165 219 75.3 LL GEEL 0
15 PORTPort Adelaide Down 2 0 2 0 112 167 67.1 LL NMFC 0
16 CARLCarlton No Change 2 0 2 0 140 236 59.3 LL ESS 0
17 BLBrisbane Lions Down 2 0 2 0 125 219 57.1 LL RICH 0
18 GEELGeelong Cats Down 2 0 2 0 121 227 53.3 LL GCFC 0

If any motivation needed, see the above…

GO Catters

Hayes talked about this on the ABC - said he thought they were pushing Ibbotson's man up to the stoppage...and were still losing the stoppage.

I felt that Bews did an excellent Job on Ballantyne, he's a good lock down defender, has the right instincts, doesn't rebound a lot yet but I think he has the tools to get better, he has more leg speed then he looks. I'm not too fused about our defensive structure. It would look a lot better if we weren't getting killed in the clearances/inside 50s. We simply must fix up our ruck woes and any midfield issues after exist after that. The next thing would be our ball movement out of D50.

At the moment Geelong seems like a renovators dream. I reckon that we have enough materials to make patch repairs to be competitive this year but a partial rebuild is an inevitability.

Yep, totally agree. We've been doing a patch job on the ruck position since Ottens left. Likewise our small defender positions, which have been left to the oldies, who just cannot keep up.

It's going to be an interesting year

Yep, totally agree. We've been doing a patch job on the ruck position since Ottens left. Likewise our small defender positions, which have been left to the oldies, who just cannot keep up.

It's going to be an interesting year

Id say it already is…

Not saying its all doom and gloom - but it sure is interesting..

Go Catter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toyota AFL Premiership Season Ladder
SEASON
2015 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1996 1993
ROUND
All RoundsAll RoundsRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7Round 8Round 9Round 10Round 11Round 12Round 13Round 14Round 15Round 16Round 17Round 18Round 19Round 20Round 21Round 22Round 23
Advanced Options

Pos Club C P W L D F A % Form Next Pts
1 ADELAdelaide Crows No Change 2 2 0 0 230 126 182.5 WW MELB 8
2 SYDSydney Swans Up 2 2 0 0 164 104 157.7 WW GWS 8
3 GWSGWS Giants Up 2 2 0 0 188 134 140.3 WW SYD 8
4 FREFremantle Up 2 2 0 0 179 128 139.8 WW WCE 8
5 WBWestern Bulldogs Up 2 2 0 0 182 153 119 WW HAW 8
6 HAWHawthorn Down 2 1 1 0 199 139 143.2 WL WB 4
7 WCEWest Coast Eagles Up 2 1 1 0 218 159 137.1 LW FRE 4
8 STKSt Kilda Up 2 1 1 0 182 163 111.7 LW COLL 4
9 RICHRichmond Down 2 1 1 0 171 163 104.9 WL BL 4
10 NMFCNorth Melbourne Up 2 1 1 0 196 191 102.6 LW PORT 4
11 ESSEssendon Up 2 1 1 0 138 148 93.2 LW CARL 4
12 COLLCollingwood Down 2 1 1 0 149 164 90.9 WL STK 4
13 MELBMelbourne Down 2 1 1 0 171 190 90 WL ADEL 4
14 GCFCGold Coast Suns Up 2 0 2 0 165 219 75.3 LL GEEL 0
15 PORTPort Adelaide Down 2 0 2 0 112 167 67.1 LL NMFC 0
16 CARLCarlton No Change 2 0 2 0 140 236 59.3 LL ESS 0
17 BLBrisbane Lions Down 2 0 2 0 125 219 57.1 LL RICH 0
18 GEELGeelong Cats Down 2 0 2 0 121 227 53.3 LL GCFC 0

If any motivation needed, see the above…

GO Catters

It's going to be tough trying to recover the %. That appears gone, as we couldn't put teams to the sword last year, with more experienced cattle. So relying on a good % for a place in the 8 at seasons end, is not going to happen

In addition...

Out: Crying to the umpires, soft aggression (cheap shots, starting fights)

I'm glad you highlighted that. In particular, Selwood, Johnson, and Hawkins. All of them are doing it far, far, too much. Ever seen an umpire change his mind because you whinged? I haven't either.

Look at Smedts. After 30 odd games his is only just learning that effort is far more important than the ability to use fast feet. Just on Billie, my biggest thing with him was effort. He seemed to just kind of bounce thru the games. Not this year. He is really trying very hard and whilst he still is not comfortable in his post - he is getting better at it. Keep playing him and getting games stuffed down his throat. he ran off HBF yesterday, and his opponent, received a lateral ball across the back of the square and pushed it long to F50 for a clean mark and transition. MUCH more of this please. And his pace, line breaking, and kicking skill was very high.

Absolutely agree with every word. He's been one of the very few whose effort I can't question right now (Bews is another). That passage of play you highlighted was very good, and we got a goal from it too.

I'm glad you highlighted that. In particular, Selwood, Johnson, and Hawkins. All of them are doing it far, far, too much. Ever seen an umpire change his mind because you whinged? I haven't either.

Yep. I feel a lot of it is bottled up frustration from the most regular performers who have just had enough.

It's time for home truths. The club has had issues for a few years now, which have not been addressed due to our 'winning' ways. This is where Chris Scott and Selwood earn their money.

Will the MC give JK a run? Probably not. Would love to see him get a go but for who?
Need some run and carry. Motlop didn't play but we replace him with a tall (Stanley)??
Gore maybe, Blease? Need more guys to run through the midfield.
Stokes looks old!
MC needs to start making some hard calls.

Give Kolo a go against his brother's side!!!

Out: Simpson, Cockatoo, Smedts (susp)
In: Bartel, Walker, Blease

No knock on the Cocky, just think he needs a confidence builder in the seconds and Blease is ready to go.

I think Thurlow needs one more in VFL. Though I am looking forward to seeing him in the side.

I found last week's selections very difficult. This week is not much easier but mentions of names like Mackie, Stokes and Duncan is fantasy land.

Bartel and Motlop are certain to come in. Cockatoo is the only one certain to come out IMO. Rivers will be in contention but I wouldn't mind seeing him play VFL to be honest. Nothing against him but I just don't think the mix is right with him back there.
Pretty sure I heard Scotty say in the presser that it wouldn't be any of the younger guys that have played less than 5 -10 games that would be making way this week.

I'd be inclined to give him another game, hopefully he find a bit more time and space against the Suns and start to build some confidence.

Keep Cockatoo in... he's played four quarters against the reigning premiers and one quarter against the best defensive team in the league.

Gold Coast will look to play free flowing, open, skilful football which is probably perfectly suited to where Cockatoo is at this stage of his development. If he picks up 10+ touches and kicks a goal or two it will do wonders for his confidence.

Pretty sure I heard Scotty say in the presser that it wouldn't be any of the younger guys that have played less than 5 -10 games that would be making way this week.

I'd be inclined to give him another game, hopefully he find a bit more time and space against the Suns and start to build some confidence.
Yes I saw that after the post you quoted, although I think Scott wasn't quite that definitive. I just think we risk doing some damage to Cockatoo if he has yet another quiet game. I also can't see who else makes way for Bartel and Motlop if not Cockatoo and one other.

Out: Simpson, Cockatoo, Smedts (susp)
In: Bartel, Walker, Blease

No knock on the Cocky, just think he needs a confidence builder in the seconds and Blease is ready to go.

I think Thurlow needs one more in VFL. Though I am looking forward to seeing him in the side.

Smedts may be lucky. You could see what he was trying to do - the clothesline across the chest - which is legal. Doing it slightly above the shoulders isn't. Hoping he gets fined or a reprimand as he's one of the few actually putting in.

I can't find any justification for Cockatoo being near the senior team right now. It's not a question of being a little bit off, he's barely touched the ball and doesn't look like touching it. We've got enough weaknesses.

Yes I saw that after the post you quoted, although I think Scott wasn't quite that definitive. I just think we risk doing some damage to Cockatoo if he has yet another quiet game. I also can't see who else makes way for Bartel and Motlop if not Cockatoo and one other.
Yeah, selection headaches aplenty at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back