Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v North Melbourne, Simonds Stadium, 3:20PM Sunday 26 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So one of your concerns is Norths three tall,but if we do something similar we're to tall.:confused:
Because their forward line is far more flexible than a Walker-Hawkins-Clark triumvirate, and they only have one ruckman. If the forward setup for them isn't working, Petrie or Brown can move into a ruck-support role. Also, Petrie is mobile enough to make it work, while Walker, Hawkins and Clark (particularly Hawkins and Walker) are stay-at-home forwards who can run the risk of getting in each other's way.

Maybe , I think with the experience of Lonergan out they will opt for Rivers... but id like to see them as brave as your inclination.
I think so too - not in terms of favouring youth at any cost, but more so to strengthen the concept that the role who go to the player who has played the best within it at reserves/AFL level.

From the birdseye view from the Brownlow Stand, in addition to Bartel and Stokes, half the players coming to the bench were limping or sore in some way. Johnson, Lang, Murdoch (pointing to the back of his knee to the Doc), Motlop were among them. Whatever side we field next week its going to include some sore bodies.

Of the knowns, I'd have GHS for Bartel, Gore for Stokes, Kolo for Lonergan (assuming no risk approach). They'll probably go with Rivers though. Wouldn't be averse to seeing Blease either, particularly if Murdoch is injured (God knows they won't drop him).

Round 4 2015

Bews Rivers Blitz

Thurlow Taylor Enright

Motlop Selwood Smedts

Lang Walker Gregson

Jonno Hawkins Clark

Stanley Duncan Guthrie

I/C: Kelly; Caddy; GH-S. Sub: Cocky GH-S

Out: Bartel (inj); Lonergan (inj); Stokes (inj); Murdoch (omitted).

In: Smedts; GH-S; Hawkins; Rivers.

Because their forward line is far more flexible than a Walker-Hawkins-Clark triumvirate, and they only have one ruckman. If the forward setup for them isn't working, Petrie or Brown can move into a ruck-support role. Also, Petrie is mobile enough to make it work, while Walker, Hawkins and Clark (particularly Hawkins and Walker) are stay-at-home forwards who can run the risk of getting in each other's way.

Gee that's a load of if ever I've heard it......like a broken record amongst some. They open up the game for the smalls have a look at any game, the smalls have to do their job too.

With Lonergan missing Clark will be again required to spend considerable time in the ruck with Blits stuck down back, I also question the bracketed I'd have thought Hawkins and Clark were more the stay at home forwards if afforded the opportunity not so much Walker.

From the birdseye view from the Brownlow Stand, in addition to Bartel and Stokes, half the players coming to the bench were limping or sore in some way. Johnson, Lang, Murdoch (pointing to the back of his knee to the Doc), Motlop were among them. Whatever side we field next week its going to include some sore bodies.

Of the knowns, I'd have GHS for Bartel, Gore for Stokes, Kolo for Lonergan (assuming no risk approach). They'll probably go with Rivers though. Wouldn't be averse to seeing Blease either, particularly if Murdoch is injured (God knows they won't drop him).

I posted in another thread my thoughts.... i'll copy it over

Gregson goals on the run showed the worth of that type , I suspect that Blease could do that for us as well. Smedts is in that new group Id bring him to test him again V North. Is our midfield is badly coached? Is it lacking confidence and talent ? .... something like that .. I'm not sure what but Gore is another that looks to be part of the future. Gregson has shown a new kid can have an impact.
We just have to have patience , so many new players , we don't seem to know each others game.

So yes , Id like to see Smedts come straight back in , Gore and Blease strongly considered but I suspect Rivers will come in to compensate for Lonergan.
I guess we we will see how many fresh faces a side can carry if we are serious. The interview with S Hocking pregame gave me the impression there were more about fresh talent than old... but too many will only leave us as lambs to the slaughter. SJ and Kelly and Enright knew what to do when it mattered today..even if the majority of the time I felt there input was minimal. The "Ins" will tell us what the MC think.

anyone know why Hawk missed?

family reasons. club hasnt released any details yet but speculation on the board has been that his mum was very unwell, and may have passed away (players did wear black armbands today). I am sure the club will comment on it at the appropriate time and the meantime we should give Tom privacy, will be back when he is ready.

Just on Kolo I'd be happy to see him but I don't think they will put another kid again when we already have Lang, Gregson, Cockatoo, Thurlow and Walker all in the side as quite young players, and a lot of injuries, I would say the safer option is either Rivers back in or Blicavs to FB, and they'll go with one of those.

I posted in another thread my thoughts.... i'll copy it over

Gregson goals on the run showed the worth of that type , I suspect that Blease could do that for us as well. Smedts is in that new group Id bring him to test him again V North. Is our midfield is badly coached? Is it lacking confidence and talent ? .... something like that .. I'm not sure what but Gore is another that looks to be part of the future. Gregson has shown a new kid can have an impact.
We just have to have patience , so many new players , we don't seem to know each others game.

So yes , Id like to see Smedts come straight back in , Gore and Blease strongly considered but I suspect Rivers will come in to compensate for Lonergan.
I guess we we will see how many fresh faces a side can carry if we are serious. The interview with S Hocking pregame gave me the impression there were more about fresh talent than old... but too many will only leave us as lambs to the slaughter. SJ and Kelly and Enright knew what to do when it mattered today..even if the majority of the time I felt there input was minimal. The "Ins" will tell us what the MC think.
Who ever they bring in they(the M/C)must give consideration first and foremost to supporting Selwood so if Gore and Blease can spend minutes in and under they're in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few tough calls to make this week.

Lonergan out. Rivers in (if not available, Kolojashnij). Blicavs also down back, the guy is turning into a gun IMO.
Stokes out. Blease or Gore in. Both did well at clearance work and outside run.
Bartel out. Hawkins in.

Sub: Murdoch

Controversial:

Stanley out. HMac - showed good clearance work in the VFL highlights.

Gee that's a load of if ever I've heard it......like a broken record amongst some. They open up the game for the smalls have a look at any game, the smalls have to do their job too.
I'm pretty sure the last premiership team with a true three-tall forward line was Brisbane - and again, that worked because Bradshaw and Brown both had big engines and could get out of each other's way. The next best would probably be Hawthorn (Rough, Franklin, Gunston) but that's really a stretch. The major issue with three talls nowadays is that in the age of the forward press, big talls just aren't agile enough and have to be carried in a sense by the lockdown players when not in possession.

Settle down, Meto, we all know you have an affinity for big-bodied players but you don't have the only answer.

Bews rivers enright
Blitz Taylor thurlow
Duncan selwood motlop
Lang walker smedts
Gregson hawkins Clark

Stanley Guthrie caddy

Cockatoo GHS kelly gore

Sj needs a week in the ice bath and some massage.

People not giving the lads enough credit for the win today.

Yes only bet the Suns at home but players out plus losing players in the game. Tough tough win.

North will be favorites but I think we can beat them at home

Just on Kolo I'd be happy to see him but I don't think they will put another kid again when we already have Lang, Gregson, Cockatoo, Thurlow and Walker all in the side as quite young players, and a lot of injuries, I would say the safer option is either Rivers back in or Blicavs to FB, and they'll go with one of those.
Yes, I said "they'll probably go with rivers though".

I'm coming from a position of being a little concerned how we are going to find games for Kolo and him being OOC at year's end. This is a ripe opportunity but for the point about inexperience of the side overall. Just a shame.

Walker is not a stay at home forward, he has super endurance and contributes more defensive pressure than Petrie or Brown or Waite, it is only Hawkins that is a stay at home forward. Really the only issue with us playing all three is that Clark will need to do some ruck minutes (we should settle Walker down as a forward and not keep putting him in the ruck) and that is a big risk with his injury history. But on form we should be playing all three.

Yes, I said "they'll probably go with rivers though".

I'm coming from a position of being a little concerned how we are going to find games for Kolo and him being OOC at year's end. This is a ripe opportunity but for the point about inexperience of the side overall. Just a shame.

He will play afl this year no doubt. Just not sure this week is the right week for it.

Walker is not a stay at home forward, he has super endurance and contributes more defensive pressure than Petrie or Brown or Waite, it is only Hawkins that is a stay at home forward. Really the only issue with us playing all three is that Clark will need to do some ruck minutes (we should settle Walker down as a forward and not keep putting him in the ruck) and that is a big risk with his injury history. But on form we should be playing all three.
My impression was that despite the fact that he does have a big tank, he doesn't win much football far from goal when playing up forward. Still, I'd be happy to be wrong.

He will play afl this year no doubt. Just not sure this week is the right week for it.
I'm not seeing a flood of opportunities. And next time Lonergan or Taylor or Rivers is unavailable, will the side be any more experienced than it was today? I doubt it.

My impression was that despite the fact that he does have a big tank, he doesn't win much football far from goal when playing up forward. Still, I'd be happy to be wrong.

We don't know this at afl level because everytime he plays well for 10 minutes he then has to go in the ruck and cant play that high forward role effectively

But I have seen him in many games at vfl level cover a stack of ground up and back and burn off his opponent that way, and he always consistently been in our top running group along with Blicavs and Selwood, so he has the fitness to play a high leading forward role pushing up the ground.

Yeah forgot him, he will come back in. I would rather Thurlow back and him forward though.

what about shifting Thurlow to the wing and playing Kolo down back? Smelts up forward if Stevie J is out.

The other thing that must be taken into the equation is there's no medium tall IE a Menzel that would have the impact of Walker, either on the body or the score board pushing for selection as we speak.Put simple Walker is for now our best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back