Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v North Melbourne, Simonds Stadium, 3:20PM Sunday 26 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing that must be taken into the equation is there's no medium tall IE a Menzel that would have the impact of Walker, either on the body or the score board pushing for selection as we speak.Put simple Walker is for now our best option.

Agreed. Bartel is gone for a while and Murdoch has been underwhelming, unless they put Smedts forward or bring Kersten in (unlikely) there is no medium tall, and Walker brings more defensive pressure than them anyway.

So one of your concerns is Norths three tall,but if we do something similar we're to tall.:confused:
I would like to see Rivers in for Lonergan, Gore for Bartel and Blease for Stokes would love to see Kolo but I think against a lesser team. If Tom comes back in I'd drop Murdoch and play Walker on the flank he is quick for a big guy.

Gee that's a load of if ever I've heard it......like a broken record amongst some. They open up the game for the smalls have a look at any game, the smalls have to do their job too.

I'm with you big time. You are the only other person on here that is crowing for Walker in the team as much as me (if not more). And they put him in and he has a hand in 6 goals... and now he's surplus? That doesn't make sense. A goal kicker kicks goals no matter how many other goal kickers are in the team. Is our forward area that big that three big guys can't stand in it at once?

It alway annoys me to see Hawk contesting around the oppositions forward 50 arc. I always think to myself - if he's there - AND he never ever marks those kicks either - then who is behind him in our forward 50? No-one. Hawk is best when he's running at the ball in our forward 50. He's not a mobile bailout kick player or a centre half forward. If he doesn't mark it, consider that ball rebounded back into their 50.

Walker on the other hand pressures, tackles, contests... he's exactly what we need. And he can roam up the goddamn ground to take bailout kick.

Having Clark, Walker, Hawkins, Blitz and Stanley as a our mobile ruck, forward and backline big guys makes sense. You just build around them and understand their strengths and weaknesses.

We were very lucky today. Smashed again in the KPI's

McIntosh must come in unfortunately for Stanley this week as the number one ruck (need an actual ruckman against Goldstein)
George HS for Bartel
Smedts for Stokes
Hawkins for Walker (can only play two full time fwds)
Rivers for Loners
Blease/Gore for Cocky (needs a full game and some form)
Its either Walker/ Stanley (fwds) or Blitz (def) as the second ruckman. Blitz stays so Walker and Stanley can't play

Can't drop Murdoch after one game. Sub yes. Dropped is unfair even if he was underwhelming today.

PS. Guthrie to a back flank in the last surely provided a glimpse into what we need to do more of. Him and Thurlow should be locked in now. Smedts can come back up the ground where he should be. I realise we are light on mids but we just have to get through with Kelly, HS, Caddy and Johnson in there until we can get Gore/Cocky/ and hopefully Danger in there.

I'm with you big time. You are the only other person on here that is crowing for Walker in the team as much as me (if not more). And they put him in and he has a hand in 6 goals... and now he's surplus? That doesn't make sense. A goal kicker kicks goals no matter how many other goal kickers are in the team. Is our forward area that big that three big guys can't stand in it at once?

It alway annoys me to see Hawk contesting around the oppositions forward 50 arc. I always think to myself - if he's there - AND he never ever marks those kicks either - then who is behind him in our forward 50? No-one. Hawk is best when he's running at the ball in our forward 50. He's not a mobile bailout kick player or a centre half forward. If he doesn't mark it, consider that ball rebounded back into their 50.

Walker on the other hand pressures, tackles, contests... he's exactly what we need. And he can roam up the goddamn ground to take bailout kick.

Having Clark, Walker, Hawkins, Blitz and Stanley as a our mobile ruck, forward and backline big guys makes sense. You just build around them and understand their strengths and weaknesses.
The OPs a bit of a fan.

McIntosh must come in unfortunately for Stanley this week as the number one ruck (need an actual ruckman against Goldstein)
George HS for Bartel
Smedts for Stokes
Rivers for Loners
Its either Walker/ Stanley (fwds) or Blitz (def) as the second ruckman. Blitz stays so Walker and Stanley can't play

Can't drop Murdoch after one game. Sub yes. Dropped is unfair even if he was underwhelming today.

PS. Guthrie to a back flank in the last surely provided a glimpse into what we need to do more of. Him and Thurlow should be locked in now. Smedts can come back up the ground where he should be. I realise we are light on mids but we just have to get through with Kelly, HS, Caddy and Johnson in there until we can get Gore/Cocky/ and hopefully Danger in there.
A lot wrong with this. Hard to know where to start.

A lot wrong with this. Hard to know where to start.

How about, Stanley did more today than we saw from HMac or Simpson on Friday night.
Stanley stays.

I do agree GHS in though

Do we think they will drop Murdoch after they brought him in? Smells a bit like Smedts last year.
Same thing with brown. I have been happy they cockatoo and Gregson maintained spots for the opening rounds, would ruin confidence.

Any way I don't get this whole Walker sager the Kids 22 maybe just turned 23 having a red hot go with more than some success and there are those making allsorts of claims why he shouldn't be picked in the side and even after today they are not happy. I suppose if he was 26 been on the list 7 years and still struggling the same ones would be giving us the old big blokes take longer line.

family reasons. club hasnt released any details yet but speculation on the board has been that his mum was very unwell, and may have passed away (players did wear black armbands today).

I think a past player died during the week.I'm sure I saw a notice in the deaths section in the Addy mid-week from the Past Players Association.

Edit : Vic Taylor [2 games in 1944]

Outs: bartel, stokes, Lonergan, Stanley

Ins: Rivers, Gore, GHS, Hawkins (if he's up to it)

Big game, think we can do it, but will need to play more of how we did 3rd quarter today for the majority of the game next week, North are a good team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who ever they bring in they(the M/C)must give consideration first and foremost to supporting Selwood so if Gore and Blease can spend minutes in and under they're in.

Id have hoped they could have been think that the last trade period but we went tall and put of mid additions 12 months. Something must be done , unless they watch the game review in the optimistic glow of delusion , surely must now see that we are close to the worst in the league right now..only elite performance drags us across the line

Outs: bartel, stokes, Lonergan, Stanley

Ins: Rivers, Gore, GHS, Hawkins (if he's up to it)

Big game, think we can do it, but will need to play more of how we did 3rd quarter today for the majority of the game next week, North are a good team.
Why drop Stanley:confused:? His actually been pretty good. Who is going to be ruck? Clark/Walkero_O? No thanks :rolleyes:

Controversial:
Stanley out. HMac - showed good clearance work in the VFL highlights.

based on today's game, I don't think there's any chance whatsoever Stanley misses unless he's injured. He was fine. Just not a first choice ruck. Against Goldstein, he will have more issues than Zac Smith. Goldstein is arguably the best ruckman in the game right now and I think McIntosh would be a complete disaster if brought in and asked to keep up on a bloke in prime form.

Really believe Simpson would be a good chance if Hawkins needs some time away for personal reasons. Stanley/Simpson rucking, Clark/Walker forward.
Possibly bring in Blease ahead of Murdoch. GHS for Bartel. Rivers for Lonergan and send Blicavs down back to mind Ben Brown.

Rivers, Kolo, Gore, GHS, Smedts, Blease and maybe Hawk. They would be the guys for mine that would be in the mix. You would think that at least 3 (Bartel, Stokes and Lonners) are out. Others that I thought looked laboured and sore but who I thought also struggled where Boris and SJ. The other is Murdoch. 7 disposals in a full game from a guy in his 4th year is just not good enough. The other thing is his lack of strength in any contest, he looks like he could be blown out of the way from a soft breeze! I hate dropping young guys but he needs some weeks of solid form in the VFL.
I would like to see Kolo and Rivers okay as NM have a tall fwd line and 3 defenders probably isn't enough, considering Blitz will probably be needed at times to help in the ruck as Stanley and Clark need more match fitness. The other 2 would be Gore and Blease. Smedts only if Boris or SJ are sore. If Hawk is ok to return then I'd have to go him over one of Kolo/Rivers. I'd probably lean towards Rivers at this stage but would like to see Kolo in soon.

George HS for Bartel
Smedts for Stokes
Rivers for Loners

Some interesting calls there!

If Murdoch can't be dropped after one 'underwhelming' game, how can Walker be dropped after one pretty good game?
The availability of Hawkins has to be in question anyway, it sounds as though he's been enduring a pretty distressing time.

As for an 'actual' ruckman - I'm not sure we have one on the list!
Would McIntosh do any better than Stanley?
I understand that Goldstein dominated us in a similar scenario during last year's Semi, but I can't be sure that McIntosh or Simpson would've fared much better, if at all - your argument that McIntosh should be brought in as insurance isn't a bad one, but if we're not seriously challenging for this years flag - and I don't think we are - then I'd rather see the club invest games in the younger, hopefully less injury-prone Stanley.
I totally agree that Stanley will be up against it facing Goldstein; I'm just not sure that bringing McIntosh in wouldn't be a step backwards.

Going by my own philosophy, I suppose that means Kolodjhasnij should come under consideration!
Although I reckon Blicavs is every chance to go back in a re-shuffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back