Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v North Melbourne, Simonds Stadium, 3:20PM Sunday 26 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if Ziebel is out injured - then that helps Geelongs chances - because hes got a pretty good record against Geelong- seems to go up forward and kick goals against us

I liked the win yesterday - especially Thurlow Gregson Bews Lang etc

Nth Melb will be favourites - they really dominated that elimination final against us - 6 goals was the real margin - however their form this year - they got smashed in Adelaide ( Geelong would have to) - they beat Brisbane - who are shocking - and they lost narrowly to Port - in an entertaining game - but i dont know if Port are firing on all cylinders yet

You would think Nth Melb would win by about 4-5 goals - but it is a winnable game for the Cats

And i would play Duncan in the forward line - because he is a good kick for goal - actually he looks an ordinary footballer playing in the backline - looks like hes got the sulks a bit to me

a few of us have been on the early Walker bandwagon.

I liked some of those other posters who tried to play down his 2013 VFL grand final performance as they really wanted Mitch Brown to succeed ahead of him :p

Walker is a beast!
Gotta keep pumping games into him now. He'll dip in form, and out come the "must be dropped" remarks, but that's going to happen with blokes yet to play 50, 100 senior games.
Same applies to Kersten. Too good for the VFL.

Agree. I'm selling a lot short. I know a lot of you like him too. But I've just noticed Meto especially writing about him. And this alone has cancelled my opposition to his strange Varcoe dislike.

Probably from keeping up with Garlett after chasing him the length of the ground. He's pretty damn fast for a big bloke. Might have knackered him for the rest of the game, though. ;)
Did you see his expression at the siren? Joyous! It was awesome to see how much the game meant to him. He's a GFC player now.

We recruited Stanley as a number 1 Ruck, We sure as hell should see what he's got. Clark isn't even jumping at the contest but I've got no doubt he will run through the middle at stages. Really would love to see Gore come in for Bartel. Kolo for Lonergan. Smedts for stokes. This may sound harsh but let's try these youngsters. Rivers imo shouldn't be gifted games, his game Friday was average. Blease still can't kick and doesn't put his body in. Still have no time for him. And Murdoch over Horlin atm because as harsh as it is his lack of speed really hurts on the spread. I'm ready to play the youngsters. I think Mcintosh Rivers Stokes should be playing VFL this year. It's time to be realistic. Enright Johnson Kelly have all earned the right to continue. Still honestly think they can perform also.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

I like this idea.

And I feel that, while B.Scott will plan for this, he won't actually have a player that can go with Blitz - the better endurance players will just get outmuscled by him. Now the shoe goes on the other foot where opposition coaches need to put defensive work onto Blitz, rather than us having to do the same to Blitz's opponent. Give him licence to stay on the ball, jump over the top of their ruck as the third man, run into defence to fill holes and stretch their backline when needed. His endurance actually makes this realistic, rather than wishful thinking.

My most heartfelt condolences to Tom Hawkins. We all know what its like to lose people close to us, its unbearably tough. I don't mean this to be disrespectful in anyway, do you think he'll feel up to playing this week? Different people handle things differently. Some people would prefer to just get out there and play. When Ben Cunnington's Dad was in hospital he took two weeks off. What would you guys think Hawkins will want to do?

My most heartfelt condolences to Tom Hawkins. We all know what its like to lose people close to us, its unbearably tough. I don't mean this to be disrespectful in anyway, do you think he'll feel up to playing this week? Different people handle things differently. Some people would prefer to just get out there and play. When Ben Cunnington's Dad was in hospital he took two weeks off. What would you guys think Hawkins will want to do?
Honestly not sure what he will do mate. It will probably become clearer later in the week but for now I'm guessing that footy is the last thing on his mind.

I think if Ziebel is out injured - then that helps Geelongs chances - because hes got a pretty good record against Geelong- seems to go up forward and kick goals against us

I liked the win yesterday - especially Thurlow Gregson Bews Lang etc

Nth Melb will be favourites - they really dominated that elimination final against us - 6 goals was the real margin - however their form this year - they got smashed in Adelaide ( Geelong would have to) - they beat Brisbane - who are shocking - and they lost narrowly to Port - in an entertaining game - but i dont know if Port are firing on all cylinders yet

You would think Nth Melb would win by about 4-5 goals - but it is a winnable game for the Cats

And i would play Duncan in the forward line - because he is a good kick for goal - actually he looks an ordinary footballer playing in the backline - looks like hes got the sulks a bit to me

If Ziebel and Well miss, in addition to Dal Santo(who's out with a LTI) I think we're a good chance despite our own injuries. While Jimmy is a big loss, Stokes hasn't been right since he first hurt his ankle against GC last year and Rivers while not as good as Lonergan is as good as replacement as we could hope for.

I don't think that North hold a 5 goal advantage over us. There dominance in the middle will be eroded a little with Ziebel out and Greenwood at Collingwood. it all depends on the ruck match up, how well can Stanley(and help) negate Goldstein.

And I feel that, while B.Scott will plan for this, he won't actually have a player that can go with Blitz - the better endurance players will just get outmuscled by him. Now the shoe goes on the other foot where opposition coaches need to put defensive work onto Blitz, rather than us having to do the same to Blitz's opponent. Give him licence to stay on the ball, jump over the top of their ruck as the third man, run into defence to fill holes and stretch their backline when needed. His endurance actually makes this realistic, rather than wishful thinking.
Slightly off topic but if rotations are capped at 80 next year (which is what it looks like) then it would only add weight to the case of developing Blitz as a midfielder. His running ability could become a real weapon for us late in games as we saw in the game on the wknd.

If Ziebel and Well miss, in addition to Dal Santo(who's out with a LTI) I think we're a good chance despite our own injuries. While Jimmy is a big loss, Stokes hasn't been right since he first hurt his ankle against GC last year and Rivers while not as good as Lonergan is as good as replacement as we could hope for.

I don't think that North hold a 5 goal advantage over us. There dominance in the middle will be eroded a little with Ziebel out and Greenwood at Collingwood. it all depends on the ruck match up, how well can Stanley(and help) negate Goldstein.

Geoff Walsh came out today and said Ziebell was discharged from hospital this morning and they're hopeful that he can get up for the game (I'm shocked at that, he was coughing up blood on the field). He said its an 8 day turn around and he'll have a test. I think we take that with a grain of salt, last week we were told Wells and Dal Santo would be right for Port and next thing we know Dal Santo is in surgery and Wells is a late withdrawal.

Goldstein is pretty much our best and most important player these days. If you can just breakeven against him it would go a long way to winning the game. Losing Ziebell and Greenwood gone means that we've only got two high quality grunt players in Swallow and Cunnington at the moment. Normally inside mids is a strength for us and a weakness for you but thats gone for us now (seemingly). Also as you guys have noted, it takes away that weapon of being able to have one swing forward and wreak a bit of havoc in the 50.

Stokes out is huge for us (is this 100%?). He's someone who seems to always tear us apart. Lastly if the game is close at the end and I see Joel Selwood unmarked at a stoppage like Gray was twice last week (leading to the two match winning goals) my head will explode.

Geoff Walsh came out today and said Ziebell was discharged from hospital this morning and they're hopeful that he can get up for the game (I'm shocked at that, he was coughing up blood on the field). He said its an 8 day turn around and he'll have a test. I think we take that with a grain of salt, last week we were told Wells and Dal Santo would be right for Port and next thing we know Dal Santo is in surgery and Wells is a late withdrawal.

Goldstein is pretty much our best and most important player these days. If you can just breakeven against him it would go a long way to winning the game. Losing Ziebell and Greenwood gone means that we've only got two high quality grunt players in Swallow and Cunnington at the moment. Normally inside mids is a strength for us and a weakness for you but thats gone for us now (seemingly). Also as you guys have noted, it takes away that weapon of being able to have one swing forward and wreak a bit of havoc in the 50.

Stokes out is huge for us (is this 100%?). He's someone who seems to always tear us apart. Lastly if the game is close at the end and I see Joel Selwood unmarked at a stoppage like Gray was twice last week (leading to the two match winning goals) my head will explode.

any thoughts on the potential recall of former Roo Hamish McIntosh in an attempt to nullify Goldstein?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope so. Looks as if he's in need of a week or 2 off.
Same with SJ. His neck or something looks NQR, or worse than NQR- just off.

Goldstein is pretty much our best and most important player these days. If you can just breakeven against him it would go a long way to winning the game. Losing Ziebell and Greenwood gone means that we've only got two high quality grunt players in Swallow and Cunnington at the moment. Normally inside mids is a strength for us and a weakness for you but thats gone for us now (seemingly). Also as you said, it takes away that weapon of being able to have one swing forward and wreak a bit of havoc in the 50.

I'd be very shocked if Ziebell plays, it's a long season why would you rush him back and risk him not being 100%, it's the same reason we rested Bartel (though Ironically had he played last week, he wouldn't be out for the next couple of months).

What's wrong with Wells and is there any chance he'll miss this week?

After Sunday, I'm a lot more confident that between Stanley in the ruck and Blicavs being third man up we can be competitive in the middle. But you should still beat us there.

Stokes hasn't be right since he injured his ankle, he isn't half the player he was before it. I'm sure your thinking of the game he came on as a super sub and had 16 touches after entering in the 3Q.

Given that you play a 3 tall forwardline, Petrie-Brown-Waite , Lonergan is a bigger loss(with Mackie already out) and Blicavs performance when moved in the middle in the second half, we might be undersized. I don't like the sound of Thurlow/Enright/Guthrie ( I honestly don't know who our third tall would be) playing on Brown.

Is there any chance that Black might play? Who are your KPDs at the moment.

any thoughts on the potential recall of former Roo Hamish McIntosh in an attempt to nullify Goldstein?

Well the funny thing was they made each other worse as ruckmen when they played together so may be its worth a go!! I still love McIntosh though

I'd be very shocked if Ziebell plays, it's a long season why would you rush him back and risk him not being 100%, it's the same reason we rested Bartel (though Ironically had he played last week, he wouldn't be out for the next couple of months).

What's wrong with Wells and is there any chance he'll miss this week?

After Sunday, I'm a lot more confident that between Stanley in the ruck and Blicavs being third man up we can be competitive in the middle. But you should still beat us there.

Stokes hasn't be right since he injured his ankle, he isn't half the player he was before it. I'm sure your thinking of the game he came on as a super sub and had 16 touches after entering in the 3Q.

Given that you play a 3 tall forwardline, Petrie-Brown-Waite , Lonergan is a bigger loss(with Mackie already out) and Blicavs performance when moved in the middle in the second half, we might be undersized. I don't like the sound of Thurlow/Enright/Guthrie ( I honestly don't know who our third tall would be) playing on Brown.

Is there any chance that Black might play? Who are your KPDs at the moment.
You make good points.
I have suggested elsewhere that why not Keep Walker in the team and try him again in defence? Their 3 tall fwds are very dangerous, and they've got Tarrant running around who can go fwd too.
Does anyone recall he spent some time there v NM in our final last year?
That's IF Hawkins returns.

Last edited:
We recruited Stanley as a number 1 Ruck, We sure as hell should see what he's got. Clark isn't even jumping at the contest but I've got no doubt he will run through the middle at stages. Really would love to see Gore come in for Bartel. Kolo for Lonergan. Smedts for stokes. This may sound harsh but let's try these youngsters. Rivers imo shouldn't be gifted games, his game Friday was average. Blease still can't kick and doesn't put his body in. Still have no time for him. And Murdoch over Horlin atm because as harsh as it is his lack of speed really hurts on the spread. I'm ready to play the youngsters. I think Mcintosh Rivers Stokes should be playing VFL this year. It's time to be realistic. Enright Johnson Kelly have all earned the right to continue. Still honestly think they can perform also.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

While it sounds great to throw youngsters in there's a point where we'll become uncompetitive and that's detrimental to development. These kids need to play in high pressure, close games. To be competitive this week we need the experience and quality of Rivers.

If we make those 3 changes we'll have 5 guys with under 5 games experience (Lang, Cockatoo, Gregson, Gore and Kolodjasnij) and a further 3 with under 20 games (Walker, Thurlow, Bews). I'd love to know when a team with that much inexperience won any game let alone one against a better than average team like North. I think we'd just be throwing them to the wolves.

You make good points.
I have suggested elsewhere that why not Keep Walker in the team and try him again in defence? Their 3 tall fwds are very dangerous, and they've got Tarrant running around who can go fwd too.
Doe anyone recall he spent some time there v NM in our final last year?
That's IF Hawkins returns.

I think we are onto a good thing with Walker as a KPF and moving him back wouldn't be good for his development. If we decide that we must have a third tall and can't play Blicavs down back I'd rather we play Kolodjashnij then move Walker back.

I don't think Tarrant played in the final last year(he's quite injury prone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back