Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v North Melbourne, Simonds Stadium, 3:20PM Sunday 26 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Delaney has had that toe injury for close to 12 months now. I can find out for certain but that is one long toe injury. I guess it is important for kicking and running comfortably.

Yeah it was mid last year he reinjured it so he'll have missed about 2 seasons with the same toe by the time he gets back.

Midfield is where we need to win this. Bring Blease in. He's been playing well and has form. Having him, Guthrie, Motlop, Nakia and Greyson streaming the ball from defence into our forward 50 makes sense. It goes back to our running game. It's what a Hawkins or Clark or Walker would want to see coming towards them. Then you have Lang and Stevie J around them. Blitz, Stanley, Kelly and Selwood as the key mid group. Caddy and Duncan as the grunt and receivers.

I think we are onto a good thing with Walker as a KPF and moving him back wouldn't be good for his development. If we decide that we must have a third tall and can't play Blicavs down back I'd rather we play Kolodjashnij then move Walker back.

I don't think Tarrant played in the final last year(he's quite injury prone)
Yea Taz is injury prone, played his first AFL match for a while in defence and nullified the Hoff (which isn't hard these days l reckon) and collected something like 20 disposals and a goal. Taz, Firrito and Thompson are main KPD, Wright for medium forwards, Mcdonald and Atley for HB.

A bit up in the air without knowing if Wells and Ziebell are in its hard to know how we'll set up at stoppages. I'd love us to give Selwood the hard tag but I think he'll just end up head to head with Swallow or something.
We usually let Cunners go head to head with Selwood, learn from the best right.

North have just the mix of good strong ball winners and class rucks that is our Achilles heel.

Our pace and tall forwards will certainly worry them as well but I think their dominance at clearances will overwhelm us.

I used to go into North games just hoping they would not have one of their days out where they play out of the skin. I think now we have to hope they have an off day and the confines of our home rattle them.

North have just the mix of good strong ball winners and class rucks that is our Achilles heel.

Our pace and tall forwards will certainly worry them as well but I think their dominance at clearances will overwhelm us.

I used to go into North games just hoping they would not have one of their days out where they play out of the skin. I think now we have to hope they have an off day and the confines of our home rattle them.

Port smashed us in this area.

Will Hawkins play? I almost think that him playing could be the deciding factor TBH. We really struggle to combat him (he was a goliath in the final) and I fear a side riding a wave of emotion.

Strange match this one to be honest, could be a cracking tight finish, could legitimately blow out either way.

We usually let Cunners go head to head with Selwood, learn from the best right.

Knowing those two they will literally go head to head a few times this weekend. Should both come out pre-bandaged.

Normally against North I do my rain dance but given we have a glut of talls I'm not so sure any more

Port smashed us in this area.

Will Hawkins play? I almost think that him playing could be the deciding factor TBH. We really struggle to combat him (he was a goliath in the final) and I fear a side riding a wave of emotion.

Strange match this one to be honest, could be a cracking tight finish, could legitimately blow out either way.

Port are a different kettle of fish to us!

No word at all on Hawkins. I am guessing probably not, he will presumably not return to Geelong until after the funeral and then his preparation will be too short. It feels a little crude to speculate at this stage on what he will do.

Port are a different kettle of fish to us!

I have been confident going into many matches against your blokes and watched as we were summarily blown off the park.

No word at all on Hawkins. I am guessing probably not, he will presumably not return to Geelong until after the funeral and then his preparation will be too short. It feels a little crude to speculate at this stage on what he will do.

Appologies if what I wrote caused any offense, wasn't my intention.

Bloke is a giant, Hope he gets through what is obviously a terrible time for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been confident going into many matches against your blokes and watched as we were summarily blown off the park.

Appologies if what I wrote caused any offense, wasn't my intention.

Bloke is a giant, Hope he gets through what is obviously a terrible time for him.

Scott has his weekly press conference today so no doubt will provide an update on Hawkins' availability.

I wouldn't expect him to play. He'll be in NSW until Wednesday night at earliest for the funeral and by all accounts he hasn't trained for more than a week. Of course this doesn't factor in the emotional toll the past week would have taken on him.

I remember the Swans breaking our home winning record in 2011 on the back of the tragic passing of Jarrad McVeigh's baby. I hope our boys can lift like that this week and put a smile on the face of Hawkins' family.

I agree bph, I think Murdoch is not going to make it at this level. He possesses poor ability to win the hard ball, struggles to keep his composure when breaking through a pack.
I think he should be dropped and spend as much time as possible playing midfield if he is to develop that side of his game. You cannot be a one dimensional footballer these days. Must be able to rotate through midfield which is kind of why Geelong helped revolutionize that small forward pocket position. Chapman, Ablett and Johnson were all excellent forwards, but it was that ability to help out our midfielders early on in their careers that got the jump on teams.

It is pretty puzzling why his form has plummetted so much, as he's been treated very well by the match committee. But all the things he should be getting better at he's either stagnated or gotten worse.

There's still time for him, but surely he must regain form in the VFL like (mostly) everyone else.

So where does that leave Walker mate?

If you play those 3. In your opinion can you play 2 other key fwds and 3 tall backs along with those three?

On the presumption Lonergan is out due to concussion, we could do the following:

Blicavs - third tall defender (with Rivers or Kolodjashnij coming in)
Clark and Stanley - ruck
Walker and Hawkins - key forwards

Any reason why they couldn't do that? It would still allow Blicavs to help out at times too (especially with the third man up idea - which could be critical against Goldstein).

You make good points.
I have suggested elsewhere that why not Keep Walker in the team and try him again in defence? Their 3 tall fwds are very dangerous, and they've got Tarrant running around who can go fwd too.
Does anyone recall he spent some time there v NM in our final last year?
That's IF Hawkins returns.

Did he? I thought Brown went back there in the last quarter when Rivers went off injured. Can't remember seeing Walker up that end (and neither he should either, especially not now).

Midfield is where we need to win this. Bring Blease in. He's been playing well and has form. Having him, Guthrie, Motlop, Nakia and Greyson streaming the ball from defence into our forward 50 makes sense. It goes back to our running game. It's what a Hawkins or Clark or Walker would want to see coming towards them. Then you have Lang and Stevie J around them. Blitz, Stanley, Kelly and Selwood as the key mid group. Caddy and Duncan as the grunt and receivers.
God I hope not........we've been near the bottom end of the table of clearances and stoppages for a couple of years now.

I think it has to be won with ball efficiency, not over using the footy and good decision making going inside 50.

I'm worried about the run and spread game of North Melbourne.......the last couple of times we've played them I've been frustrated by how easily they chipped the ball around and got so many uncontested possesions

I reckon Delaney has had that toe injury for close to 12 months now. I can find out for certain but that is one long toe injury. I guess it is important for kicking and running comfortably.
More like 2 years unfortunately.

It is pretty puzzling why his form has plummetted so much, as he's been treated very well by the match committee. But all the things he should be getting better at he's either stagnated or gotten worse.

There's still time for him, but surely he must regain form in the VFL like (mostly) everyone else.
Doesn't like the contested footy..........bordering on scared at times.

I've always been a big fan of Josh Walker, and he's proved to us on numeous occasions that he can play. (Last season: 11 goals in 7 games in the AFL, 25 goals from 14 games in the VFL. He has also kicked three bags of 3 goals or more at AFL level, including one in the 2014 semi final)

I think it would be a waste of talent if we didn't give him more opportunities in the AFL. With Dawson Simpson struggling, and McIntosh being held back by injury, this is what I suggest we try to work towards:

FF: Tom Hawkins
HF: Josh Walker
Ruck #1: Rhys Stanley
Ruck #2: Mitch Clark

That means that Blicavs plays solely in defense (with injuries to Lonners and Mackie, that would work out well).
Also remember that we could (hopefully) have Vardy returning at some point this season, so he could be battling for a spot in either the ruck or up forward. On top of that, Kersten could also be in contention for a spot in the senior side, at some stage during the season.
If we feel that McIntosh is fit enough to play, and that he would offer more as a ruckman that Stanley or Clark, then HMac couldbe a straight swap for either of those two.
I think this setup could work very well, as if Walker can keep up his solid form (and hopefully improve on it), then opposition backlines could find it very difficult to quell both Hawkins and Walker, as well as the resting ruckman (either Stanley or Clark).
Stanley has shown he is ok in the ruck, but I don't expect any amazing tap work from him or Clark. As long as they can be competetive and put up a fight, then I would be happy (not that HMac or Simpson were brilliant in the ruck). Our ruckmen's versatality and mobility will be their greatest strengths. Stanley is a great athlete, and very quick, usually not the case for most big men. When not rucking, he could be roaming the ground and filling in little holes, much like what Blicavs used to do for us before his move to the backline. Clark has proved that he is a more than capable forward, and he could be deadly floating around the forward line.

I reckon this setup looks quite exciting, especially given that Clark, Walker and Stanley have lots of improvement in them. Hopefully as they learn how work with each other better, and as they naturally improve over time and experience, they can be the foundations of a very good ruck and forward line.

Last edited:
Extremely tough to pick a side. I think it is reasonable to assume that Bartel/Stokes/Lonergan will all not be playing.

With Lonners out the obvious choice replacement is Rivers, I know some are calling for Kolo but I am a little hesitant with already so much inexperience in the team. It has also been suggested Blitz should not play as a KPD and pick both Rivers and Kolo freeing Blitz to share ruck duties and third man up against the best ruckman around, in addition to his other midfield skills - there is a lot to be said about this, my only concern is the above stated increase in inexperience.

It has been suggested bring back Simpson and bring in HMac to deal with Goldstein, I am unconvinced by Simpson and not sure if HMac could do any better than Clark as a support to Stanley.

Which comes to the question of Hawkins, if he plays, then it is simple; Clark as second ruck Walker/Hawkins as KPF. If he does not play then there is a bit of a dilemma. I am thinking that a medium forward flanker who can kick goals with a little bit of experience might give us some additional firepower on the forward line, a bloke called Shane comes to mind.

(if Hawkins plays)
Out: Bartel, Stokes, Lonners, Murdoch
In: Hawkins, Rivers, GHS, Blease, (I would love to bring in Gore, but worried over too much inexperience already)

(if Hawkins does not play)
Out: Bartel, Stokes, Lonners, Murdoch
In: Rivers, GHS, Kersten, Blease

I know Kersten is not a key position player, such an arrangement will still put a lot of pressure on Clark to help in the ruck and on the forward line.

I've always been a big fan of Josh Walker, and he's proved to us on numeous occasions that he can play. (Last season: 11 goals in 7 games in the AFL, 25 goals from 14 games in the VFL. He has also kicked three bags of 3 goals or more at AFL level, including one in the 2014 semi final)

I think it would be a waste of talent if we didn't give him more opportunities in the AFL. With Dawson Simpson struggling, and McIntosh being held back by injury, this is what I suggest we try to work towards:

FF: Tom Hawkins
HF: Josh Walker
Ruck #1: Rhys Stanley
Ruck #2: Mitch Clark

That means that Blicavs plays solely in defense (with injuries to Lonners and Mackie, that would work out well).
Also remember that we could (hopefully) have Vardy returning at some point this season, so he could be battling for a spot in either the ruck or up forward. On top of that, Kersten could also be in contention for a spot in the senior side, at some stage during the season.
If we feel that McIntosh is fit enough to play, and that he would offer more as a ruckman that Stanley or Clark, then HMac couldbe a straight swap for either of those two.
I think this setup could work very well, as if Walker can keep up his solid form (and hopefully improve on it), then opposition backlines could find it very difficult to quell both Hawkins and Walker, as well as the resting ruckman (either Stanley or Clark).
Stanley has shown he is ok in the ruck, but I don't expect any amazing tap work from him or Clark. As long as they can be competetive and put up a fight, then I would be happy (not that HMac or Simpson were brilliant in the ruck). Our ruckmen's versatality and mobility will be their greatest strengths. Stanley is a great athlete, and very quick, usually not the case for most big men. When not rucking, he could be roaming the ground and filling in little holes, much like what Blicavs used to do for us before his move to the backline. Clark has proved that he is a more than capable forward, and he could be deadly floating around the forward line.

I reckon this setup looks quite exciting, especially given that Clark, Walker and Stanley have lots of improvement in them. Hopefully as they learn how work with each other better, and as they naturally improve over time and experience, they can be the foundations of a very good ruck and forward line.

It must be the 8-years of following such a quality footy side but this has to be the most enjoyable opposition board to have a pre-game chat on!

Anyway, so much up in the air this week with injuries, availability etc. Both teams will be far from full strength which is a real shame, but perhaps we'll see some young players show their worth.

Our midfield got destroyed against Port Adelaide, Swallow was good but Cunnington had a rare off night and we really struggled for other options at the clearance, our half backs kept us in it. Really felt the loss of Greenwood on Saturday with Ziebell going down earlier and both Dal Santo and Wells missing. While Ziebell and Wells will be tested later this week I can't see Ziebell playing after spending 2 nights in hospital, wells maybe.

We don't have a bonafide tagger, so not sure what we can do with Selwood. I wouldn't mind Gibson going to him but we lose the outside run he provides. Bastinac isn't strong enough and Swallow/Cunnington would only be a H2H.

Up forward Brown is becoming close to our best forward, remarkable that the young lad has only played 13 games but he hasn't played a bad game yet. Waite and Petrie are so hit and miss, they'll kick none or a bag, hard to know. Decent defenders do hold them though.

I'm at a loss at how we will structure up this week, don't expect too many personnel changes from the Port game unless Ziebell misses, then we'll probably debut Dumont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back