Preview AFL Round 7 - Geelong v Essendon, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 10 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow night we'll be playing four players with less than 10 games experience (Blitz, GHS, Thurlow and Schroder) and an additional six under 50 games (Christensen, West, Guthrie, Motlop, Smedts, T Hunt). That's 10 out of 22 players that have played less than 50 games, and we're missing 650+ games of experience in Chapman, J Hunt and Corey.

In the under-50 games group, Christensen, Motlop, West and Taylor Hunt in particular are playing with so much poise, they seem like much more experienced players.

This is the Chris Scott that has about 827 players in his "best 22"...
In fairness, when he's discussing changes to the team for an upcoming match he's usually quite circumspect. Preferring to mention a number of players as coming under consideration. However, on this occasion he was unequivocal.

Maybe Scott and co were worried about Essendon bringing in so many fresh legs and that's why they went with two kids who are a bit fresher and haven't been beaten around at AFL level yet. They might also want Thurlow and Schroder to get consistent games of footy under their belt and they wouldn't have got that in the 2's with our VFL side having the week off.

If Chappy and Corey still aren't 100% I don't mind it, but Caddy is a bit stiff.

Well dont know what to think!

Rapt that Thurlow & Shredder are in cant wait to see what they can bring to the team.

Losing JC and Chappy not available is a hell of a lot of leadership missing.

Still think Tomahawk will get amongst the goals, if he can fire early it would be great for team dymanics. We really need to get of to a good start & if we do look out all hell could break loose
as the younger crew get a sniff and go crazy :)

The more i think about it the more excited i get such a young team!

So you think the selectors are just Joshing us with the team they've named do you ?

That's what Scotty said to Brown when he walked into his office looking sad asking why he wasn't picked...'sorry mitch, we're just joshin with ya' :D

Caddy needs to work on some things, i suspect he is a hard worker but is feeling the pinch mentally about the huge jump in class he has faced this year.

He is on a big salary which only adds to the perceived pressure.

I suspect taking him out of the senior side is an attempt to ease the tension and freshen him up for a second stint against the lower teams.

Imagine Thurlow comes in and has 20 across half back, I reckon a few sides might just give up.

Think one M Brown might do the same if Thurlow has 20 on debut!

So I just heard the teams. Boy my affection for OUR club overflows. On the eve of the biggest result bearing game in the year ..so far.. what do we do?

We bring in two kids, one a fresh faced , green as a leaf debutant and the other a player who while young has worked to improve , has shown gradual improvement and also shown consistent form. And like many before has had to earn his spot.

OK , we all want to win this game and no doubt I will be breathing the angry vapours , in the midst of the game's heat , wanting to give to those Red and Black mongrels etc , etc ..... but lets look big picture.. THE BIG PICTURE.

This is why OUR club is where we are and why some other teams play themselves into a corner and why some supporters feel the never ending pain of the rebuild. Playing the main stays in big games probably ensures the best chance of winning short term , and what you do when your a club thats taste of ultimate success has been so fleeting that they're desperate to get a notch on the pistol grip. But sooner or later those seniors are main stays no more , and as much as a Coach/MC job is to put a team on the grass that is worthy of our devotion , its also their job to nurture our future. A future which may not even involve them but still they should strive , still they should endure short term pain all with to the long road in mind.

Well done Chris Scott.

Found this on Facebook

Many people asking about Paddy Ryder not being selected. He is an emergency but here's the reason behind him not being picked by James Hird.

“Unfortunately for Patrick Ryder we have decided to go with Scott Gumbleton at centre half forward,” Hird told BomberTV.

“Scott has been in excellent form and we didn’t think that it was right to play another tall.

“Paddy hasn’t done anything wrong but unfortunately when you go out of the team it has hard to get back in at the moment.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires: Rosebury, Stevic, Hall

Seems like every week we have had either Stevic or Nichols:oops:

Matt Stevic...isn't he the one who made the (technically correct but not in the spirit of the game) decision to penalise Mooney for in-the-back in the final against StK? (Which cost us the game and a likely GF berth) And isn't he the one who made the (technically correct but not in the spirit of the game) decision to penalise Josh Hunt 50m for holding Fasolo (I think) in that game against Collingwood?

Matt Stevic...isn't he the one who made the (technically correct but not in the spirit of the game) decision to penalise Mooney for in-the-back in the final against StK? (Which cost us the game and a likely GF berth) And isn't he the one who made the (technically correct but not in the spirit of the game) decision to penalise Josh Hunt 50m for holding Fasolo (I think) in that game against Collingwood?
Yep that's the bloke

Not having Ryder as second ruck is a tactical error in my opinion.

Happy Caddy isn't back, I think he needs an extended run at VFL level. Should really dominate that level before getting another run same with Murdoch.

Thurlow for Corey is standard, J Hunt isn't a replacement for Corey he is too short and way too underdone anyway.

Schroder should have come in last week as sub instead of having Murdoch in the team.

One from left field - I wonder if we included two youngsters as none of the brains trust at Essendon who came across from Geelong would've seen them in action. I remember a couple of years ago they really did their homework against us, and curtailed most of our key players.

With the amount of young blokes we've got in our side this week (Bundy, Motlop, Blicavs, Horlin-Smith, Guthrie and now Schroder and Thurlow), there are quite a few blokes Bomber and Matty Egan wouldn't have seen first hand while at Geelong, so might get under their guard a bit.

Personally, I was surprised by the ins and outs, but I've got a lot of faith in the MC's ability to get it right - and it gives two kids a chance on a big stage.

Reading between the lines, I am thinking hawk is good to go, and that we would rather go in smaller than Essendon than play Brown. Not sure if that is more tactical or lack of confidence in the player...

Changes since last time they met

Essendon INS: Goddard, Zaharakis, Winderlich, Hurley, Hibbered, Hocking and Kommer
Essendon OUTS: Stanton, Jetta, Dyson, Monfries, Dempsey, Dell’Olio and Hille

Geelong INS: Podsiadly, Bilcavs, Bartel, Christensen, Horlin-Smith, Schroder and Thurlow
Geelong OUTS: Josh Hunt, Scarlett, Murdoch, Sheringham, Walker, Chapman and Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back