Preview AFL Round 7 - Geelong v Essendon, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 10 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting nervous tomorrow Chappy and Corey out :( We can't afford to loose this game or else we will be out of top 4 because of our low percentage ...

Who cares if we're out of the top 4 after Round 7? I'd be more concerned if we were out of the top 4 after Round 23...
Yep.
Like the ins in any case- a bit adventurous. Go Scotty.

We better win this, I'm in some deep crap from my friends if we lose this one. o_O
Me Too:eek:
Missed Mackie's having a go at his performance can anyone advise what he said?
or direct to article, whichever is easier
On Foxtel tonight Mooney had a go at Hawk for not working hard enough, seems to imply he doesn't think its a health thing

Another pointer to this being the last year for Chapman and Corey.

Great ins, a loss will be easier to take knowing we've gone with the kids. Sensing that we will be playing a manic style of game, heaps of pressure on the ball combined with plenty of run and quick ball movement. Should be a belter.

Pretty excited to see Schroder get a gig in a pretty big game.

Also liking the faith in Thurlow...in a big game.

It is a big game right??

Not completely convinced Thurlow had done enough just yet but it shows his rating internally.

Me likey and hopefully both lads will show a bit.

That's what Scotty said to Brown when he walked into his office looking sad asking why he wasn't picked...'sorry mitch, we're just joshin with ya' :D
Think there are a few here conflating two separate matters, PO

It is possible to discriminate between when the coach is commenting in a general sense about our best 22 in an ideal world (with everyone fit and up and about) and when he's focusing his attention specifically on a forthcoming game. No one with all their neurones fully functioning would suggest CS considers Kersten or Brown in our best 22.;)

Having Thurlow in must spell the end for Mitch Brown surely?
Similar roles for the team and a first year player gets a gig ahead of him.

Interesting selections from the Geelong MC. Guess we will have to wait and see how it works out. No doubt one of those boys will be the sub. No Ryder but they have stuck with Gumbleton I see. I guess they didn't want to go too tall unless they plan a tactical late change. It's really going to come down to our small blokes and their speed I think for our best chance of success. 50/50 game this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting selections from the Geelong MC. Guess we will have to wait and see how it works out. No doubt one of those boys will be the sub. No Ryder but they have stuck with Gumbleton I see. I guess they didn't want to go too tall unless they plan a tactical late change. It's really going to come down to our small blokes and their speed I think for our best chance of success. 50/50 game this one.
Be very surprised if a fit Ryder isn't in the 22. One of the most flexible players on their list.

You make it sound like I'm the only one who does it.
You are by far the biggest voice here on the subject.
And also about lack of cred from reporters. Really, who cares what anyone says after what this club has done ?

Anywho. I'll read the game day thread and see how you go. lol

Having Thurlow in must spell the end for Mitch Brown surely?
Similar roles for the team and a first year player gets a gig ahead of him.

Not sure there's any point comparing MBrown to others, he's a different type to most, get the feeling we will always find someone bigger, quicker, more urgent, more something..

He simply needs to grab the VFL by the scruff of the neck and demand a call-up. Was great first up but seems to have gone into his shell since. Always a spot in the side if you're good enough, he just needs to knock the door down but it's not looking likely at the moment.

Be very surprised if a fit Ryder isn't in the 22. One of the most flexible players on their list.
yeah it seems like that's a good possibility to happen, but given that the game is tomorrow night it hardly seems worth it to play tiddly winks at MC, especially since it wont change the Geelong line up and structurally they will be no different (if they drop a tall for him) if he plays. I also expect Geelong will have studied him anyway as he is in their top 22 so if he plays it wont effect CS too much in terms of planning.

Schroder and Thurlow for Corey (knee) and Murdoch.

Wow.

Just wow.

We can't complain. Most of us want the young guys to be given chances. Well they're doing that. Part of me really loves such a bold move. Massive show of faith in Thurlow, and you can't fault Schroder's VFL form. Also ensures Chapman and Corey are managed properly throughout the season. Another very good piece of player management.

Caddy needs to work on some things, i suspect he is a hard worker but is feeling the pinch mentally about the huge jump in class he has faced this year.

He is on a big salary which only adds to the perceived pressure.

I suspect taking him out of the senior side is an attempt to ease the tension and freshen him up for a second stint against the lower teams.

In truth Caddy hasn't done that much. A lot of fans are talking about how good they want him to be instead of realising how good he actually is right now. He's promising and I reckon in another 20 games will be a very good player. But he hasn't done enough to demand a regular game and others look better at present.

No reason a few blinders in the VFL won't see him back in either.

So I just heard the teams. Boy my affection for OUR club overflows. On the eve of the biggest result bearing game in the year ..so far.. what do we do?

We bring in two kids, one a fresh faced , green as a leaf debutant and the other a player who while young has worked to improve , has shown gradual improvement and also shown consistent form. And like many before has had to earn his spot.

OK , we all want to win this game and no doubt I will be breathing the angry vapours , in the midst of the game's heat , wanting to give to those Red and Black mongrels etc , etc ..... but lets look big picture.. THE BIG PICTURE.

This is why OUR club is where we are and why some other teams play themselves into a corner and why some supporters feel the never ending pain of the rebuild. Playing the main stays in big games probably ensures the best chance of winning short term , and when your a club thats taste of ultimate success has been so fleeting that they're desperate to get a notch on the pistol grip. But sooner or later those seniors are main stays no more , and as much as a Coach/MC job is to put a team on the grass that is worthy of our devotion , its also their job to nurture our future. A future which may not even involve them but still they should strive , still they should endure short term pain all with to the long road in mind.

Well done Chris Scott.

I love this post!! This is something that has been in Essendon's DNA since Sheedy was there. Hird is a much more conservative man though, and I'd love to see some of our kids get more of a go.

I have much respect for the cats. They way you boys played during this period of dominance means that I don't feel the need to support the underdog when watching your games, which is what I'd normally do in a game the bombers aren't playing.

Anyhow taking my sons to watch this in standing room, like the good old days! Hope it is a cracker. I know I sound like a sook with the bombers having such a ridiculously good injury run this year but Dempsey's run off half back, and Stanton's run through the middle will be tough to replace this week.

Also surely the match committee is trolling Geelong with Ryder as an emergency.

I love this post!! This is something that has been in Essendon's DNA since Sheedy was there. Hird is a much more conservative man though, and I'd love to see some of our kids get more of a go.

I have much respect for the cats. They way you boys played during this period of dominance means that I don't feel the need to support the underdog when watching your games, which is what I'd normally do in a game the bombers aren't playing.

Anyhow taking my sons to watch this in standing room, like the good old days! Hope it is a cracker. I know I sound like a sook with the bombers having such a ridiculously good injury run this year but Dempsey's run off half back, and Stanton's run through the middle will be tough to replace this week.

Also surely the match committee is trolling Geelong with Ryder as an emergency.

Think the reaction would have been a wry smile fishy.:D

Think the reaction would have been a wry smile fishy.:D

I think you blokes are all being a bit cynical about Ryder.
“Unfortunately for Patrick Ryder we have decided to go with Scott Gumbleton at centre half forward,” Hird told BomberTV. “Scott has been in excellent form and we didn’t think that it was right to play another tall. “Paddy hasn’t done anything wrong but unfortunately when you go out of the team it has hard to get back in at the moment.”
Given his history of honesty, plain dealing and transparency, I think we are entitled to rely on the word of a man like James Hird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back