Preview AFL Round 7 - Geelong v Essendon, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 10 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you blokes are all being a bit cynical about Ryder.
“Unfortunately for Patrick Ryder we have decided to go with Scott Gumbleton at centre half forward,” Hird told BomberTV. “Scott has been in excellent form and we didn’t think that it was right to play another tall. “Paddy hasn’t done anything wrong but unfortunately when you go out of the team it has hard to get back in at the moment.”
Given his history of honesty, plain dealing and transparency, I think we are entitled to rely on the word of a man like James Hird.
Careful, Fred :)

“Unfortunately for Patrick Ryder we have decided to go with Scott Gumbleton at centre half forward,” Hird told BomberTV. “Scott has been in excellent form and we didn’t think that it was right to play another tall. “Paddy hasn’t done anything wrong but unfortunately when you go out of the team it has hard to get back in at the moment.”
Given his history of honesty, plain dealing and transparency, I think we are entitled to rely on the word of a man like James Hird.
Irony, Fred!!!!!!!

I'll take it at face value Fred but if Ryder turns out to be playing then it will be no surprise either. We will just have to wait and see. Also, when it comes to selections I have never seen an honest coach in my life. Even CS tells a few porky pies about possible selections for games. It's part of the game.

:thumbsu: I can't help but notice that you have been in fine form of late Fred in the wry observation and witty riposte department.

Keep it up that man! ;)

We can't complain. Most of us want the young guys to be given chances. Well they're doing that. Part of me really loves such a bold move. Massive show of faith in Thurlow, and you can't fault Schroder's VFL form. Also ensures Chapman and Corey are managed properly throughout the season. Another very good piece of player management.

I don't mind it, don't play older players when injured so give Corey the week, right call.

Schroder has been in very good form in the 2's and deserves a go, and they obviously rate Thurlow.

So no complaints there.

Still, I probably would have had Kersten in, particularly with some doubt over Hawk (although I suppose that is what Walker is for), just feel we might be a tall short in defence and so the extra tall in the 22 would have given us options.

That selected team says to me the plan is to run, run, run. Get them on transition.

Hey guys cheers for all the likes on my post. Are you guys confident that Hawkins will play? I'm taking my 5 year old nephew to the game. He lives in America and is huge Cats and Hawkins fan. It will be his first game since he was 3. He will be gutted if Hawkins doesn't play so hoping someone can tell me if I need to start preparing him about the possibility of Hawkins not playing.

Hey guys cheers for all the likes on my post. Are you guys confident that Hawkins will play? I'm taking my 5 year old nephew to the game. He lives in America and is huge Cats and Hawkins fan. It will be his first game since he was 3. He will be gutted if Hawkins doesn't play so hoping someone can tell me if I need to start preparing him about the possibility of Hawkins not playing.
I reckon it is very likely, given
- coach's comment on the nature of his niggle. I.e. it won't get worse thru playing
- the omission of potential replacements such as Kersten, Vardy and Brown

Some have floated the idea of a last minute swap of Hawk for Walker (emerg) but I , for one, cannot see that happening.

Hope your nephew sees the big guy kick a bag :)

Chappy 250 @ KP would be massive....
As for Smithy, I expected management for him this year.

Schredder has been touted for a while and kind of struggled with form, position and niggling injures to this point. However he has been blowing it up the magoos to this point. In the best every week. This is a great chance for him to have a crack.... even if it is as the sub.

Thurlow reminds me of Mackie. There was highlight vision of last weeks VFL game with him running down the wing out of D50 and I was thinking "what is Mack doing out there..." Big wraps on him and if he can be a combo of Boris and Mack we will be laughing

GO Catters

Chappy 250 @ KP would be massive....
As for Smithy, I expected management for him this year.

Schredder has been touted for a while and kind of struggled with form, position and niggling injures to this point. However he has been blowing it up the magoos to this point. In the best every week. This is a great chance for him to have a crack.... even if it is as the sub.

Thurlow reminds me of Mackie. There was highlight vision of last weeks VFL game with him running down the wing out of D50 and I was thinking "what is Mack doing out there..." Big wraps on him and if he can be a combo of Boris and Mack we will be laughing

GO Catters

I think he would be a good sub (provided we don't need him on deck to cover for Corey).
I seem to remember him getting 10 or 12 disposals in the last quarter v Collingwood NAB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else a bit disappointed to see Thurlow/Schroder get a game ahead of Caddy considering what we forked out for him? I actually somewhat expected he would be gifted games early to fast track his development.

Then again playing in the magoos means more midfield time so maybe it is better for his development?

Anyway good luck to Jax & Schredder hope they get a good taste of the top level and handle it with composure.

Anyone else a bit disappointed to see Thurlow/Schroder get a game ahead of Caddy considering what we forked out for him? I actually somewhat expected he would be gifted games early to fast track his development.

Then again playing in the magoos means more midfield time so maybe it is better for his development?

Anyway good luck to Jax & Schredder hope they get a good taste of the top level and handle it with composure.

Not me. I suspect he'll play again. Just part of the youth rotation policy.

I reckon it is very likely, given
- coach's comment on the nature of his niggle. I.e. it won't get worse thru playing
- the omission of potential replacements such as Kersten, Vardy and Brown

Some have floated the idea of a last minute swap of Hawk for Walker (emerg) but I , for one, cannot see that happening.

Hope your nephew sees the big guy kick a bag :)

I have a sneaking feeling Hawk will rip it up tonight.
Just something about when Scotty was talking about it on the footy show last night made me think that he is taking all the talk about Hawkins being "injured" and running with it.

I can't see our team playing an injured immobile player 2 weeks in a row.

Wouldn't suprise me if Ryder is a late call up. Just to spin with our minds a bit thinking they will only have one ruck.

For the first time in his life, Caddy now has to earn his spot in the team.

No doubt during his entire underage and Gold Coast career he could get through on talent alone. No longer.

Over the short-term I have no concerns as, bar Selwood, pretty much every Cat in the current generation has had to work hard in the reserves for their spot in the seniors.

With all the talk of late changes what about this one. Chris Scott comes down with a virus and can't coach. Matthew Knights steps in as a replacement. We then win a close one. After the game Knights does a lap of honour in front of the Essendon fans. The meltdown that ensues would be outstanding.

No that won't do, you forgot the best part. As he does the lap, smiling his arse off, he holds a Geelong scarf and starts swinging it, in that infamous Sheedy/Bombers manner.....then most likely a brawl breaks out making Melbourne look like South America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back