AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Checked the the presale link for that Kpop show as someone I know is interested, and it just sends you to the LiveNation sign up page, which anyone can join anyway. So a bit pointless.
side-eye-dog-suspicious-look.gif

Exactly, I just asked someone at work and they showed me the MCC app, it is basically a representation of the card with the photo on it. I'm sure some tech savvy people would find a way to doctor it but it would be streets ahead of what we have now.
I'd imagine it's doable.
At the moment the app only shows tickets.

The AFL aren't going to drop the pricing of the membership so why are people happy to see the game allotment dropped? why would you want to lose any entitlement just because you don't use it?

I used it a lot when I was a student. think I pushed 40 games in a couple of years. with finals, I'll easily crack 30 games attended. I want the option to swing by at half time or to duck in and see if a game is competitive and then head off if it's a borefest.

The AFL aren't going to drop the pricing of the membership so why are people happy to see the game allotment dropped? why would you want to lose any entitlement just because you don't use it?

I used it a lot when I was a student. think I pushed 40 games in a couple of years. with finals, I'll easily crack 30 games attended. I want the option to swing by at half time or to duck in and see if a game is competitive and then head off if it's a borefest.
Some of the options spoke about 20 game access but guaranteed reserved seating on level 2. I would take that, but only if it were an option. If people wanted to maintain their current 40 game access at the regular membership fee they should definitely not have that option removed.

Some of the options spoke about 20 game access but guaranteed reserved seating on level 2. I would take that, but only if it were an option. If people wanted to maintain their current 40 game access at the regular membership fee they should definitely not have that option removed.
I'd defo just take 20 games and take my L2 seats.

Haven't been to 20+ since 2006

Ballot? It was walk up and first in best dressed with no reserved seating.
I shit you not. There was indeed a ballot up to maybe 1997. You had to enter the ballot by mid July and you found out in late August if you were successful.

I joined as a restricted member in 1994 and entered the ballot in 1995 for the PF and GF and was successful. I missed out in the following years but was made a full member in 1998 so I couldn’t care less about any ballot. Imagine that - a four year wait to become a full member.

I was seated in the third level of the Olympic Stand. Both PF and GF were lousy matches.

In 1998, I recall queuing up at Epping Plaza to buy a ticket during GF week. The 1992 fiasco of numerous full members being turned away killed off the first in best dressed arrangement. It was fully ticketed for GF’s after that.

Other memories - I remember that they let too many people into the AFL Members for a Melbourne vs. St. Kilda final in 97? and people were having to sit on the steps in the top level. We all had to be relocated to the Ponsford Stand.

I also remember seeing the ‘95 ANZAC Day draw and was seated in about N26. No tickets that day - first in best dressed.

Last edited:
How do the two equate?

Realistically, what's the big difference between the current Bronze with 15 games and this proposed new tier with 20 games?

Bringing in all these new categories and various entitlements is just making change, not improvement.

If the number of games drops, I'll be pretty pissed off. I'm obviously an interstate supporter so I really only get four to six games worth of entitlement. my friends support all sorts of clubs and being able to shoot a text that morning and catch up and watch a game is invaluable and something I genuinely love. being able to distract myself from going to the pub or attending a blockbuster is an appreciated bonus. I don't want to get to this time of the year and have to start second guessing if I should go to a match or not because I'm running out of games to attend.

In 1998, I recall queuing up at Epping Plaza to buy a ticket during GF week. The 1992 fiasco of numerous full members being turned away killed off the first in best dressed arrangement. It was fully ticketed for GF’s after that.
Not quite. I believe 98 was the first ticketed game. The 92 fiasco was due to selling guest passes that silver members could purchase due to the Eagles playing and the AFL not thinking it would be full.

They introduced a coloured card system for a few years so you could save seats. You received the card on entry and then could leave your seats as long as 1 person stayed behind with everyones card.

For the 2001 Grand Final they had a ballot for everyone to get tickets. It was scrapped the next year for the current model.

How do the two equate?

Realistically, what's the big difference between the current Bronze with 15 games and this proposed new tier with 20 games?

Bringing in all these new categories and various entitlements is just making change, not improvement.

If the number of games drops, I'll be pretty pissed off. I'm obviously an interstate supporter so I really only get four to six games worth of entitlement. my friends support all sorts of clubs and being able to shoot a text that morning and catch up and watch a game is invaluable and something I genuinely love. being able to distract myself from going to the pub or attending a blockbuster is an appreciated bonus. I don't want to get to this time of the year and have to start second guessing if I should go to a match or not because I'm running out of games to attend.
I'm not saying you should lose the opportunity to attend 40 H&A games, that should remain a standard part of the membership. But if some members want to elect to have a cap of 20 games for a reduced membership fee, or for the same fee but reserved seats on level 2 at MCG/Docklands, or for same fee but some other perk thrown in it doesn't effect you or your entitlements at all.

The difference between bronze and this is access to finals, GF and marquee games.

There are plenty of other improvements they need to make as well but for me personally, I will never get close to 40 H&A games so if they offered something else in place of the additional games I'd consider it.

I'm not saying you should lose the opportunity to attend 40 H&A games, that should remain a standard part of the membership. But if some members want to elect to have a cap of 20 games for a reduced membership fee, or for the same fee but reserved seats on level 2 at MCG/Docklands, or for same fee but some other perk thrown in it doesn't effect you or your entitlements at all.

The difference between bronze and this is access to finals, GF and marquee games.

There are plenty of other improvements they need to make as well but for me personally, I will never get close to 40 H&A games so if they offered something else in place of the additional games I'd consider it.
Just sounds too complicated and all it'll do is give the AFL reason for minimising game allowances across the board. 'well nobody is attending 35 games so now everyone just gets 20!'

It's also not really how any other purchase works. you don't get a 25% refunded from your ticket if you leave at three quarter time; you don't get your club membership discounted if you can't attend Sunday games.

The whole point of AFL Membership is its neutral and offers attendance to a lot of games. if you just want to go to Melbourne games, then the Melbourne Football Club offer specific memberships for that.

People are just asking for some perfect membership that perfectly suits them and that's pretty entitled. there are issues within the operative and organisational sectors of the membership, but the general idea of $550 a year for 40 games a season is a good one.

Just sounds too complicated and all it'll do is give the AFL reason for minimising game allowances across the board. 'well nobody is attending 35 games so now everyone just gets 20!'

It's also not really how any other purchase works. you don't get a 25% refunded from your ticket if you leave at three quarter time; you don't get your club membership discounted if you can't attend Sunday games.

The whole point of AFL Membership is its neutral and offers attendance to a lot of games. if you just want to go to Melbourne games, then the Melbourne Football Club offer specific memberships for that.

People are just asking for some perfect membership that perfectly suits them and that's pretty entitled. there are issues within the operative and organisational sectors of the membership, but the general idea of $550 a year for 40 games a season is a good one.

No one is asking for anything. The AFL came to us with a survey presenting a number of options. It doesn't mean any or all will be offerred.
It's not entitled of anyone if they discuss their preferences here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not asking for it, they're offering it and if they did I would consider it depending on what it was.

Many other memberships offer different access points, eg you can get 11, 17 or 23 game club memberships, you can get reserved seats or GA, you can add-on GF guarantees etc.

I'd be sceptical they might use it as a way to dilute the membership as well which is why I said I wouldn't want them to change it across the board but if they had an option then I don't see why it would effect you at all.

How will they guarantee Level 2, almost impossible.
Dunno but that was one of the survey options. Said "level 2 at any venue" as well so would be good to get some level 2 members area at Docklands, it's ridiculous we don't have that already.

Dunno but that was one of the survey options. Said "level 2 at any venue" as well so would be good to get some level 2 members area at Docklands, it's ridiculous we don't have that already.
I'm happy as a Tigers supporter but I really feel that AFL members supporting non MCG tenants get a pretty raw deal in comparison. Mind you the AFL are making it increasingly worse at the MCG with a greater need to book seats and minimal level 2 access.

Checked the the presale link for that Kpop show as someone I know is interested, and it just sends you to the LiveNation sign up page, which anyone can join anyway. So a bit pointless.
Same with the Travis Scott presale link.

and the AFL write this in the email "We are thrilled to provide AFL Members with pre-sale access to secure their tickets!". Like they have anything to do with the presale.

As an aside where on the portal can I see how many matches I've attended so far in the year? I might be missing the obvious but can't see.

I keep track myself normally but is there a way on our accounts at all?

They were letting the public cross into the members yesterday to sit in the top level in the unreserved seats.
In theory I don't mind it, especially wet weather games etc

The problem is what if those people then wandered downstairs and took up some premium seats that a member then misses out on? Why should members have to queue up longer at bars, food outlets, toilets etc because non-members have been given access?

In theory I don't mind it, especially wet weather games etc
Agreed. It concerns me more when they sell our seats to the public or club members and we are locked out. Only ANZAC Day was sold out in previous year to the best of my knowledge, but there have been several games this year where there has been no seats available. Case in point was Haw v Coll a few weeks back where you could only get standing room (for a fee) yet at least 1/3 of seats were empty. Not just those in the rain either.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back