Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bruhn would still be on his first contract (just under $100k plus match payments) but GWS & GCS get into big trouble with those high picks wanting $400k for their second contract. I know andleanback (who would know more than me) said they will be on more than $250k but but it would be hard for them to demand huge $$ when there are premiership players on less coin.

Reiwaldt accepted $300k for next year but that was because his only other option was to retire but I think Hawkins would be on a lot more than that. No way he would be playing for 400-500 less than what he is worth over multiple years because that quickly adds up to 1.5 million.
Looking at their GF side only Cameron and Danger would be on huge contracts (but less than if they went elsewhere), then 6-8 on above average wages Duncan, Stewart, Cam Guthrie, Blicsavs, Rohan, Hawkins, Selwood, Smith.
Then a heap of guys on below average wages Zuthrie, Miers, Stengle, Close, Atkins, Dekoning, O’Conner
Probably 5k per match in which he played 17

Wouldnt be far off the 200k mark

Crazy if Hawkins is playing on for around that amount next year. Id hope the report is wrong but they must be doing something right by having all these guys

The Bryan situation is an interesting exercise in asset management - some NBA franchises are really good at this, AFL clubs tend to be not so good.

The club should by now have a view as to whether Bryan, Draper, Wright and Jones can all play in the same team.

If the answer is no then then one of Bryan/Draper should be traded. Their currency well and truly exceeds there value as a back-up ruck…especially when Flip is perfectly adequate depth.

its not the here and now, it's the long game. We are 95% sure Francis won't make it, do the right thing and wish him all the best in good faith with the Swans. Knowing they 'owe' us one in the future.

Might not be Dodoro, but this could show the industry we (EFC) are turning the corner from the "hard to deal with" s**t show we have been for 20 years.
Exactly!!
Good sides get it done & wish them well (eg Cats with Stevie J, Chappy et al)

The kid has already gone through enough, why drag it out for another 2 weeks until the last hour of trade week for a 5 spot upgrade. Take pick 71 or whatever they want to give us, shake hands and hope he enjoys the next chapter of his life.

The Bryan situation is an interesting exercise in asset management - some NBA franchises are really good at this, AFL clubs tend to be not so good.

The club should by now have a view as to whether Bryan, Draper, Wright and Jones can all play in the same team.

If the answer is no then then one of Bryan/Draper should be traded. Their currency well and truly exceeds there value as a back-up ruck…especially when Flip is perfectly adequate depth.

The timing is wrong, Phillips has one more year and we have no depth developing depth beyond him. The other part of asset management is timing the market value for them. Bryan is currently worth maybe a second rounder or third rounder. If he forces his way into the team for 12 games next year, which he is likely to do, he's worth a late first.

The timing is wrong, Phillips has one more year and we have no depth developing depth beyond him. The other part of asset management is timing the market value for them. Bryan is currently worth maybe a second rounder or third rounder. If he forces his way into the team for 12 games next year, which he is likely to do, he's worth a late first.
Correct - I should have been clearer, not saying trade has to happen this year.

Bryan is probably worth more now in a trade than he is in 12 months time when hes OOC, unless Draper misses a good chunk of the season

It would purely depend what we could get in return for him. Id be taking a top 15 pick for him right now. A pick beyond that is pretty pointless

Bryan isn’t going anywhere. He’s just as likely to get a game for us as he is at pretty much any other club. He’s not number 1 material anywhere right now.
St. Kilda is pretty much perfect for him. He's better than Heath and Campbell, and we know they like playing 2 rucks with Marshall being good inside 50 as well.

Im trying to work out if pick 41 is useful or useless for us if a bid for Munkara does come after 41 42.

We have pick ~59 on the board to use if that eventuates, but all I'm reading recently (noting I'm just another punter relying on the views of the experts at this stuff) seems to suggest Munkara doesn't get drafted. I think he qualifies as a free-hit Cat B selection for us if he isn't picked, which wouldn't be the worst idea, but query if a club burns a main list spot on him.

I think Bruhn would still be on his first contract (just under $100k plus match payments) but GWS & GCS get into big trouble with those high picks wanting $400k for their second contract. I know andleanback (who would know more than me) said they will be on more than $250k but but it would be hard for them to demand huge $$ when there are premiership players on less coin.

Reiwaldt accepted $300k for next year but that was because his only other option was to retire but I think Hawkins would be on a lot more than that. No way he would be playing for 400-500 less than what he is worth over multiple years because that quickly adds up to 1.5 million.
Looking at their GF side only Cameron and Danger would be on huge contracts (but less than if they went elsewhere), then 6-8 on above average wages Duncan, Stewart, Cam Guthrie, Blicsavs, Rohan, Hawkins, Selwood, Smith.
Then a heap of guys on below average wages Zuthrie, Miers, Stengle, Close, Atkins, Dekoning, O’Conner
Top 10 draftees usually get extended for around 350-500 odd dependent on how they’ve played, first rounders anywhere between 300-400 depending on form, also taking in consideration what club they’ve been drafted to. Gc and gws always have to overpay these kids but at the same time Victorian clubs are overpaying to get them back (as seen with us an caldwell), which has created a weird market which has significantly bumped up the price of 1st round picks contract extensions. The reason henry hasn’t signed us purely because collingwood won’t give him what he wants to be paid, which would be in line with what 1st rounders who have performed at afl level get offered. I’d say both will sign at geelong on 3-4 year deals, on decent money but slightly back ended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I admit that I have not looked into it but surely if Geelong are able to spread the money out for Bowes into 4 seasons the GC could do the same. Bowes willing of course. Would seem to be an end run around the rules otherwise.

Doubt this is what Bowes wants because this is how he and Brisbane got into such a predicament - In effect, Bowes money for the next two years will be money he should have received in the last 2 to 4 years. Bowes will probably want a club who can pay his allocated money in the next two years, although this will limit his options.

Doubt this is what Bowes wants because this is how he and Brisbane got into such a predicament - In effect, Bowes money for the next two years will be money he should have received in the last 2 to 4 years. Bowes will probably want a club who can pay his allocated money in the next two years, although this will limit his options.
exactly.
Has spent last 2 years on lower wages. next 2 present as higher earning years
He can either take his preference at Geelong (Longer time to earn the wages) vs. us, where he gets them in the same 2 years, and if all goes well he's earning more in the following 2 years.

Mahoney's job is to convince him despite the current predicament, it's moving fwd with a plan....even if it doesn't look that way :p
We can also offer him midfield time. Cats still have Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Parfitt, Atkins running around in theirs. Plus Bruhn coming in.

exactly.
Has spent last 2 years on lower wages. next 2 present as higher earning years
He can either take his preference at Geelong (Longer time to earn the wages) vs. us, where he gets them in the same 2 years, and if all goes well he's earning more in the following 2 years.

Mahoney's job is to convince him despite the current predicament, it's moving fwd with a plan....even if it doesn't look that way :p
We can also offer him midfield time. Cats still have Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Parfitt, Atkins running around in theirs. Plus Bruhn coming in.
Does Bowes actually want midfield time?

We still have Parish, Zerrett, Shiel, Stringer, Perkins, Caldwell, Hobbs running around in ours aswell, along with a chance of a top 4 pick midfielder... and another at pick 7 potentially

Hes not ahead of any of those for midfield

He probably plays on a wing if hes getting a game

We still have Parish, Zerrett, Shiel, Stringer, Perkins, Caldwell, Hobbs running around in ours aswell, along with a chance of a top 4 pick midfielder... and another at pick 7 potentially

what i've seen mentioned - $$ and midfield/playing time. Guys gotta be seeing his career slip away (and the earning potential of that).

He'd probably play ahead of 2022 Stringer.
And we're yet to see if Perkins makes it to midfield or not.

If we landed Bowes as well, I reckon we'd be looking elsewhere with our picks.
Tsatas has the outside game as a string to his bow
Sheezel if he's still there provides x-factor
Cadman should be #1 on our draft board
There's also opportunities to split 7 too. Cats keen on Clarke, Freo need a top 10 pick for Jackson, Crows may want back in, Saints may want to move up for McKenzie.

If we got pick 8 i would consider moving to pick 14 (Fremantles pick) to assist dees in getting a top 10 pick for Jackson

And probably getting Norths F2 for 2022 aswell via Fremantle for Logue

Ashcroft
Wardlaw
Cadman
Tsatas
Sheezel
J.Clark
E.Hewett
Humphries
Jefferson
Phillipou
Cam Mckenzie
Ginbey
Hollands

Busslinger
Lewis Hayes

Hopefully grab one of those first 13 Mid/Fwds, whoevers left

I think Bowes could play in our midfield, his height is a POD and he was always touted as a Simon Black type who uses the ball very well.

Merrett can play more outside, Perkins can play off a HFF / Wing, Hobbs isn't ready for a full-time inside midfielder season in year two yet, Shiel is going to be aging out, and Bowes might be able to push Parish for on-ball minutes given he's just as talented.

Stringer isn't going to get the pre-season distance to play more midfield than we've seen from him previously, he breaks down every time they try it.

It would mean depth in the midfield where one of the names you mentioned might even get stuck playing in the VFL until they push someone else out which would quite the luxury for us.

I think Bowes could play in our midfield, his height is a POD and he was always touted as a Simon Black type who uses the ball very well.

Merrett can play more outside, Perkins can play off a HFF / Wing, Hobbs isn't ready for a full-time inside midfielder season in year two yet, Shiel is going to be aging out, and Bowes might be able to push Parish for on-ball minutes given he's just as talented.

Stringer isn't going to get the pre-season distance to play more midfield than we've seen from him previously, he breaks down every time they try it.

It would mean depth in the midfield where one of the names you mentioned might even get stuck playing in the VFL until they push someone else out which would quite the luxury for us.
Understand that Pick 7 is the real trophy here but in relation to Bowes, he is rated average or below average in every category except metres gained. He will not shift the needle for us, nor will any of the players (DFA's) we have been linked with....Give Perkins the midfield minutes in the guts not the bloody wing. The kid keeps his feet and kicks it damn well and importantly has the intangibles that we so desperately need ... he is primed. I fear that all bowes would do is soak up money

Understand that Pick 7 is the real trophy here but in relation to Bowes, he is rated average or below average in every category except metres gained. He will not shift the needle for us, nor will any of the players (DFA's) we have been linked with....Give Perkins the midfield minutes in the guts not the bloody wing. The kid keeps his feet and kicks it damn well and importantly has the intangibles that we so desperately need ... he is primed. I fear that all bowes would do is soak up money

I don't think Bowes has ever got much genuine time on ball, they used him off half-back a bit I know.

Im all for the Bowes trade, but not necessarily because of Bowes but because of pick 7

Hed be starting behind all the guys i mentioned and look i dont mind if hes the midfielder in the VFL

Why dont you think Hobbs can be a full time mid? I think he can. The issue is probably that Parish, Shiel, Merrett will still be preferred in the stoppages but a new set of eyes as coach could change that i suppose

Think if were around the 2-6 or 3-5 mark after round 8 and Hobbs is looking good then he moves in there and Shiel/Zerrett reduce the cba time

I don't think Bowes has ever got much genuine time on ball, they used him off half-back a bit I know.
this.
His junior year was elite from a disposal perspective.

I reckon he'd slide in nicely.
Parish/Merrett - accumulators
Bowes/Perkins - taller mids (can both play flanks too)
Shiel/Caldwell - general mids
Hobbs/Clarke (assume you get him at 7) - engine room grunt
Tsatas (Pick 4) - Inside taller mid/outside wing option
McGrath/Martin/Langford/Durham -Flank/wing options

Ridley - Reid - Redman
McGrath - Cox - D'Ambrosio
Durham - Shiel - Tsatas
Martin - Jones - Davey
Stringer - Wright - Perkins
Draper - Merrett - Parish
Hobbs - Clarke - Bowes - Caldwell
E: Langford
They all fit in a side.

this.
His junior year was elite from a disposal perspective.

I reckon he'd slide in nicely.
Parish/Merrett - accumulators
Bowes/Perkins - taller mids (can both play flanks too)
Shiel/Caldwell - general mids
Hobbs/Clarke (assume you get him at 7) - engine room grunt
Tsatas (Pick 4) - Inside taller mid/outside wing option
McGrath/Martin/Langford/Durham -Flank/wing options

Ridley - Reid - Redman
McGrath - Cox - D'Ambrosio
Durham - Shiel - Tsatas
Martin - Jones - Davey
Stringer - Wright - Perkins
Draper - Merrett - Parish
Hobbs - Clarke - Bowes - Caldwell
E: Langford