Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So GC have recanted their position with pick #7? Or are they saying it's not for nothing. I'd imagine they be wanting some lower picks back for points, but if they just want a fair deal for pick 7, then why even attach it to the Bowes situation in the first place?

I hope we're looking to trade Parish, but I'd be doing that separately or getting more value back in that situation.
I don't understand why would we be hoping to trade out one of our best and proven players unless he wants to move ?

Yes he was disappointing this year but we've quickly forgotten his previous season which had him as one of the brownlow favourites.

He's in his prime, wins clearances and can also go forward and kick goals.

Yes he has flaws in his game but who on our list doesn't ?

This isn't just to you Mojo there's a few on here that have the same opinion, I just don't get it.

Weigh it up next year. Esp if there's a top 5 pick on the table via FA

Just a gut feeling, but I don't think we'll be a bottom 5 side next year. I think we're still a fair way from top 8, but I wouldn't be surprised if we move up a few spots and finish around 10 to 12th. So #7 from GC is probably as good as we'd get for Parish if both parties wanted to part company.

Just a gut feeling, but I don't think we'll be a bottom 5 side next year. I think we're still a fair way from top 8, but I wouldn't be surprised if we move up a few spots and finish around 10 to 12th. So #7 from GC is probably as good as we'd get for Parish if both parties wanted to part company.
id view it differently.

Parish could get us a top 10 pick, yes
But 7 & Bowes could be had for much less (F2, maybe an F3 thrown in with something coming back this year)

I don't understand why would we be hoping to trade out one of our best and proven players unless he wants to move ?

Because he's an asset we have with the most trade value, and he doesn't offer a point of difference in the midfield.

Having said that, if Scott can come in and somehow have the current midfield all functioning really well together I'd be very happy with that as well.

Yeah my thinking is similar to this. However I do hope we are looking at trade opportunities for Parish this year, not to give him away, but only if something too good to refuse (eg something better than compo would be) comes up.
It'd need to be a top 5 pick to entertain. It's essentially what we'd be giving up next year if we let him go now.
And this draft doesn't look to have the high end talent to let an AA midfielder go as he enters his peak.

Add to that, we're about to get a coach in that should be able to deliver home truths between the eyes of a lot of players.
I'm keen to see how our "elite" talent responds first, before we ship them out.

id view it differently.

Parish could get us a top 10 pick, yes
But 7 & Bowes could be had for much less (F2, maybe an F3 thrown in with something coming back this year)

Fair point. When I read that GC weren't keen on packaging Bowes with #7 I thought that could be a potential opportunity to even out our midfield a bit.

It'd need to be a top 5 pick to entertain. It's essentially what we'd be giving up next year if we let him go now.
And this draft doesn't look to have the high end talent to let an AA midfielder go as he enters his peak.

Add to that, we're about to get a coach in that should be able to deliver home truths between the eyes of a lot of players.
I'm keen to see how our "elite" talent responds first, before we ship them out.
Yeah it'd need to be close to that, but you might take a little less for getting someone in a year earlier and the elimination of the risk that something happens to Parish injury or form wise that diminishes his value.

Because he's an asset we have with the most trade value, and he doesn't offer a point of difference in the midfield.

Having said that, if Scott can come in and somehow have the current midfield all functioning really well together I'd be very happy with that as well.
So we trade a proven player out who's had 1 disappointing season to get a top 10 pick in who may or may not cut it a the top level ?

Yeah makes perfect sense to trade out a player who wins his own footy and clearances because we are flush with those types...give me a spell

So we trade a proven player out who's had 1 disappointing season to get a top 10 pick in who may or may not cut it a the top level ?

Yeah makes perfect sense to trade out a player who wins his own footy and clearances because we are flush with those types...give me a spell

It's more about having the right mix of players, our midfield isn't very diverse. We can keep an uneven mix or try to sort it out by moving some pieces around, and Parish is the only real asset we could get some value for.

Either way I don't have a say so it's all conjecture and I doubt they'd trade him anyway.

Priorities... try everything to get Bowes over the line. We are flush with cap space so his $$ doesn't matter. That extra top 10 pick opens up alot of possibilities for us. Could trade up.. could end up with 3 first round players with Davey aswell.
4 top 20 picks are on the table if we play it right
22 needs to move up, otherwise I see it being impacted by the Davey bid.

So if we can get 7 on top of 4, shift 22 up in the order (Brisbane's 15 ripe here if they don't package it to Dogs for Dunkley), plus Davey
If we can walk away with Cadman, Clarke, Humphrey/Ginbey/Hollands, Davey + Bowes that's a decent influx of talent.

im not sure where that would leave the Pies

Example - Dons offer same money and years, but no clauses
Pies counter-offer but some of the clauses remain
De Goey has 2 options, sign with the clauses he doesn't want, or go to the PSD.

it'd be quite the gamble for the Pies
I know but for some reason we are digging in our heels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he was disappointing this year but we've quickly forgotten his previous season which had him as one of the brownlow favourites.

This isn't just to you Mojo there's a few on here that have the same opinion, I just don't get it.
Agreed. I'm hoping Scott can bring out a defensive beast. He has built the running capacity. Just needs to put it together.

Agreed. I'm hoping Scott can bring out a defensive beast. He has built the running capacity. Just needs to put it together.
im on the side where if someone approached for Parish and a top 5 pick was on the table (via trade or compensation), I'd probably take it.
But I'm also keen now to see what a new coach does over the next 12m.

The Rutten game plan didn't seem compatible with both Parish and Shiel in the same side (I'd add Merrett too tbh)

i dont reckon we were even in the mix for degoey - i reckon it was a calculated attempt to get our name back out front and centre in trade week with a new coach. We were quiet as church mice before - non players. It was a statement to say, hey we are back and we are going for big fish again

I don't want to get rid of Darcy, but in my opinion:
  • he's one of our biggest culprits with lack of defensive running
  • he tends to ball watch and not always hold good width from the contest
  • he's not strong enough through the hips to get good disposal out after he's won the ball, which he does win a lot of the tap and is his strength

When I consider those points (that are just my opinion) and the balance of our midfield, combined with the value Darcy may bring in a trade scenario to a club where he will be a better fit, I think we should be open to offers.

But do not mistake that for me thinking that we should kick him out the door or take any offers. If he stays I hope we can find a way to make it work better and that he can improve defensively.

Priorities... try everything to get Bowes over the line. We are flush with cap space so his $$ doesn't matter. That extra top 10 pick opens up alot of possibilities for us. Could trade up.. could end up with 3 first round players with Davey aswell.
The $$ do matter somewhat when it comes to an extension of the initial 2 years, which is what Bowes and his manager will/should be looking for. You can overpay to a degree but there has to be a limit. He's obviously already owed 1.6mil which the suns have kept pushing back so he is 100% entitled to that over the next 2 years. The extension will be where it gets interesting. I think another 2 at 500kpa is about the max id be willing to commit to.

im on the side where if someone approached for Parish and a top 5 pick was on the table (via trade or compensation), I'd probably take it.
But I'm also keen now to see what a new coach does over the next 12m.

The Rutten game plan didn't seem compatible with both Parish and Shiel in the same side (I'd add Merrett too tbh)
I respect your opinion mate... I'd be getting Shiel out before Parish because he's older and Parish is still yet to reach his prime.

I understand that Parish has more appeal and trade value but I just think we've put so much work into him and would hate to see him go and rip it up elsewhere.

I respect your opinion mate... I'd be getting Shiel out before Parish because he's older and Parish is still yet to reach his prime.

I understand that Parish has more appeal and trade value but I just think we've put so much work into him and would hate to see him go and rip it up elsewhere.
reality for us is he may walk via FA next year.
So I'd hold Shiel (who I rate) and if it was top 5 or if we finish bottom 4 next year and he opts for another contract, then we let it slide.

But also not unhappy if Scott can find a way to make it work as well tbh.

Let's be honest here; at most other clubs he's going to be forced to play a more team-first role than the one he was largely able to do here where he could chase possessions at will and forego defensive running.

Is he likely to gather more possessions or clearances doing team-first stuff?

Compare him to Rory Laird, who almost no one would argue we trade in for a Top-5 draft pick;

Laird averaged more disposals and more clearances but also more than double the tackles per game.

We look at Parish and think he 'could' explode at another club, but it's highly unlikely he'll get to play as freely as he does at EFC anywhere else so where's the improvement coming from?

yep. Trade out a pick 5 who has since won AA and been a premier midfielder in the comp, in the beginning of his prime, to try and roll the dice on pick 7.

Absolutely staggering

yep. Trade out a pick 5 who has since won AA and been a premier midfielder in the comp, in the beginning of his prime, to try and roll the dice on pick 7.

Absolutely staggering
Lancelot, remember where you are. Say it with me “it’s better to be young than good”

We shouldn’t look to trade out Parish, Shiel or Merret. It’s pretty simple really, they are good AFL players who will improve if the team gets better. As it is now we need all players to work hard and improve from within. We have a good group of younger, inexperienced players who have to take the next step. I think Brad Scott will give them every opportunity to do that, but we still need to keep our senior experienced players providing leadership. Looking forward to exciting years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back