Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have no problem with trading out Parish to potentially get another top 10 pick. The lack of size and power in our midfield is glaring. Not saying Parish is all that bad, but when you have Merrett, Caldwell, Hobbs, Shiel and McGrath who are all quite similar surely a point of difference in that midfield is needed for overall balance.

With the likes of Tsatas, McKenzie who are bigger bodies and available in and around the top 10, surely we'd think about it. Two of Sheezel, Tsatas/McKenzie would be awesome imo. (If still available at our picks)
There is only a few ways this plays out;

(1) A rival club ponies up for what we are asking. Being a contracted top midfielder at our club, we should be asking for a decent haul, probably a first + second with a second/third going back

(2) A rival club denies our request and holds out for a year getting him for a free agent and we still get that (more than likely) first round compensation anyways.

So yeah, the idea of trading Parish is nice but I seriously, seriously doubt it's happening. More so with that honeymoon period of getting in Brad Scott so Parish more than likely wanting to prove him wrong.

I don't understand why would we be hoping to trade out one of our best and proven players unless he wants to move ?
He's only one of our best players if the extent of your player analysis is Supercoach scores.

We were one of the worst sides defensively and Parish is a big part of that problem. There appears to be some significant cultural problems within the list and Parish seems to be part of that too.

Maybe he can turn it around but if there's sides willing to swap a good pick for him I'd say take it.

Looking at the other side of the deal, we are a team that is desperate for more leadership, players who compete and set standards for the others. There's two players in particular, Humphrey and Clarke who have that stuff in spades. Trading Parish would give us the opportunity to get both of those players and set us up for a sorely needed cultural change.

Darcy Parish 2022 = Matt Crouch 2018

Crouch’s legs are about 40cms long and his kicking caps out at about 32 metres on each leg, a dishonest comparison.

Is our new trade and free agency priority - get rid of dodo as soon as Sheedy is gone and the silly season has finished?

We can save some of the coin until next year with a new list manager if no Bowes + 7 for future second type deals present themselves.

We lack superstar talent and don't think we are a chance for that year unless it's pick 4 or pick 7 who become this. No other names mentioned are inspiring for me

He's only one of our best players if the extent of your player analysis is Supercoach scores.

We were one of the worst sides defensively and Parish is a big part of that problem. There appears to be some significant cultural problems within the list and Parish seems to be part of that too.

Maybe he can turn it around but if there's sides willing to swap a good pick for him I'd say take it.

Looking at the other side of the deal, we are a team that is desperate for more leadership, players who compete and set standards for the others. There's two players in particular, Humphrey and Clarke who have that stuff in spades. Trading Parish would give us the opportunity to get both of those players and set us up for a sorely needed cultural change.
So after a disappointing season of which he wasn't the lone ranger he is now also the cause of our cultural problems ?

Strange that the year before where he won every award possible there were no issues ??

I don't care for possessions or stats either, I just want players that give their all consistently.

Tom Browne says Norf could move #1 for multiple picks.

Wonder if we could nab it should we get #4+#7 ?

Tom Browne says Norf could move #1 for multiple picks.

Wonder if we could nab it should we get #4+#7 ?
What for? The players that suit our needs best are going to be there at 4+7, and aside from Ashcroft there isn't really another standout.

The fact that North are alleged to be considering trading the pick speaks volumes.

The parish debate is interesting as if a godfather offer comes through then we should look at it.

Id say two top twenty picks or top ten plus change would be worth trading.

Really no one bar Perkins, Cox, draper should be untraceable for where we are at.

Anyone else heart and soul, fabric, culture and core leader types that the club would be lost without?

Merret as next captain, guelfi, Ridley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy Parish 2022 = Matt Crouch 2018
Except in full games

Parish avg 7th for SI in the AFL, M.Crouch was 80th

He also avg about an extra clearance a game aswell

Not to mention the speed and power he clearly possesses over crouch

The debate is stupid. Its not happening this year. The only major thing that changed from last year to this year imo was the team started losing and somehow he became the whipping boy

If we traded Parish, we'd either need to trade him for a better player. Or a high enough draft pick that guarantees said player in the draft. Which would be a top 4 from what I hear.

Otherwise there is no point. And I don't see either of those happening.

Can't see a new coach trading out good players before he tries to see how he can get them all to work together. Especially with heaps of cap space.

At this point, it makes the most sense to keep Parish for 2023.

Maybe Scott will be the coach to finally create (or at least start) a winning culture that gets real buy in from players. I'd at the very least give Parish and others that chance to prove themselves under him.

End of 2023 he'll be a FA, I'd expect us to finish with at least a top 10 pick - let him leave in FA if things haven't improved.

So after a disappointing season of which he wasn't the lone ranger he is now also the cause of our cultural problems ?

Strange that the year before where he won every award possible there were no issues ??

I don't care for possessions or stats either, I just want players that give their all consistently.
I'd invite you to look at the second half of our season. In games Parish did not play we performed like a different side, it actually looked like the players were buying into the defensive messaging from the coach. In the games he played we looked the total opposite.

From the outside that looks like a corrosive presence, a refusal to buy in that undermines the efforts of the rest of the side and the 'blue collar' culture we are trying to build.

Maybe Scott can turn it around, who knows? Maybe adding more midfield depth and giving himself greater freedom to drop players who don't buy in will finally see the message sink in.

I don't know if the fact that we have a new coach is going to drastically impact list management decisions. Planning for the trade and FA period is something that would have evolved over the season and I think it's quite likely that if the decision had been made within the football department to shop a player around then that's what would happen regardless of who was coaching.

Is that how he earned AA, is it?
Because AA is the be all and end all.
Good player. Not a champion. Not in the best 20 midfielders in the comp.
Had a good year last year.
At the end of the day what he done can be done by others.
Not that it matters as he does not want a trade and we are not looking to trade him.
Big year for him next year. Has to fix his defensive issues or he will be under the microscope.

Last edited:
i dont reckon we were even in the mix for degoey - i reckon it was a calculated attempt to get our name back out front and centre in trade week with a new coach. We were quiet as church mice before - non players. It was a statement to say, hey we are back and we are going for big fish again
Brad Scott's got a war chest again, but this time the floors are spongey...

There are a lot of very fair criticisms of Parish, but the "get rid of him" hand-wringers do a disservice by dismissing his "one good year".

His one-wood might be centre clearances, but he was the best in the league at it in 2021, 8 clear of the 2nd best (Libba). Not a bad weapon to have on our list, even if he has hit his ceiling (and there is nothing to say he can't round out his game from here to get better defensively). Never mind winning premierships, winning games starts getting difficult without someone able to get the pill out of the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back