Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep. Trade out a pick 5 who has since won AA and been a premier midfielder in the comp, in the beginning of his prime, to try and roll the dice on pick 7.

Absolutely staggering
Trade out an overrated inside mid that's had one good year who doesn't run defensively to bring in a chance to get an inside mid that does.

We shouldn’t look to trade out Parish, Shiel or Merret. It’s pretty simple really, they are good AFL players who will improve if the team gets better. As it is now we need all players to work hard and improve from within. We have a good group of younger, inexperienced players who have to take the next step. I think Brad Scott will give them every opportunity to do that, but we still need to keep our senior experienced players providing leadership. Looking forward to exciting years ahead.
the boat sailed when we sacked Rutten
If we had stuck with him, then I think we had to either explore it this year or next (assuming he continued on) as it wasn't working.

New era, coach, plan, etc.
Keen to see what Brad does moving fwd before we make drastic calls on key players

Let's be honest here; at most other clubs he's going to be forced to play a more team-first role than the one he was largely able to do here where he could chase possessions at will and forego defensive running.

Is he likely to gather more possessions or clearances doing team-first stuff?

Compare him to Rory Laird, who almost no one would argue we trade in for a Top-5 draft pick;

Laird averaged more disposals and more clearances but also more than double the tackles per game.

We look at Parish and think he 'could' explode at another club, but it's highly unlikely he'll get to play as freely as he does at EFC anywhere else so where's the improvement coming from?
He needs to improve his consistency between his good and average games, his two way running and his disposal could improve also.

None of these are unachievable by the way.

No one complained about how "freely" he played in 2021.

I would also disagree with you re possessions and team stuff first, he tackles and blocks as much as the next bloke in our team.

I can see the thinking behind the 'Trade Parish for a top 10 pick' theory

But Shiel will be 31 years old and pretty non existent in this side in 2024. If he is id say were going pretty well and are firmly in the finals mix

I think alot can change in 12 months to make the decision a little clearer.

1) Who we draft this year? If its more mids than we have more ability to let him go

2) If we finish last then were getting pick 2 as compensation, again id say wed be more happy to let him go

3) Team success in 2023, this heavily impacts a 30 year old turning 31 year old Dylan Shiel for 2024 and beyond

4) Davey more a mid or fwd? From what ive seen he performs much better up the ground. However at AFL i dont see him getting any if very little midfield time for a few years atleast

5) Perkins 2023? If he really steps up and ive said alot relies on him as to what we do. His size inside the contest allows us disparity especially with a Parish, Zerrett, Hobbs for the 2024-2028 period

Trade out an overrated inside mid that's had one good year who doesn't run defensively to bring in a chance to get an inside mid that does.
Over rated ?? that would be your favourite player Langford ;);)

Yeah let's take a chance on someone that's not likely to be there at our pick unless we finish last.

yep. Trade out a pick 5 who has since won AA and been a premier midfielder in the comp, in the beginning of his prime, to try and roll the dice on pick 7.

Absolutely staggering

Nothing is more exciting then going all in on another 5 year plan with a bunch of kids who may or may not make it.

Brought to you by the Ricky Dyson and 3rd rounder brigade.

Over rated ?? that would be your favourite player Langford ;);)

Yeah let's take a chance on someone that's not likely to be there at our pick unless we finish last.
The fact you're disagreeing makes me even more sure that I'm right.

He needs to improve his consistency between his good and average games, his two way running and his disposal could improve also.

None of these are unachievable by the way.

His good games were less good in 2022, and of less benefit to the team.

It's achievable, but likely on the back of his disposal numbers coming down.

No one complained about how "freely" he played in 2021.

His 2021 was better than 2022, and marked a significant jump from where he was. In 2022 he played selfish football.

I would also disagree with you re possessions and team stuff first, he tackles and blocks as much as the next bloke in our team.

It's a very low bar given our team isn't good at it, but he definitely doesn't do his share of the ugly team-first stuff. Which is fine when you're a Dustin Martin who can rip a game apart. But he's not.

You know what, cobra land? Let's lay it all bare. I've had my fair share of mistakes. However time you disagree with me, I provide examples of what my reasoning is. You then go off and attack me. I then reply and you accuse me of "making it personal".

Darcy Parish is overrated as hell. He's emblematic of the sameness of our midfield. Small, ball hunting and most of all, lazy defensively. Luckily for us, he's also the one that will net us the most value despite the fact that he's the least proven of the three big names.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what, cobra land? Let's lay it all bare. I've had my fair share of mistakes. However time you disagree with me, I provide examples of what my reasoning is. You then go off and attack me. I then reply and you accuse me of "making it personal".

Darcy Parish is overrated as hell. He's emblematic of the sameness of our midfield. Small, ball hunting and most of all, lazy defensively. Luckily for us, he's also the one that will net us the most value despite the fact that he's the least proven of the three big names.
We disagree, that's fine I can live with that.

While I’ve never been in the trade Parish camp, I think those who are should at least wait and see what Brad Scott does with him first?

While I’ve never been in the trade Parish camp, I think those who are should at least wait and see what Brad Scott does with him first?

spank1.gif

It’s interesting that the club can think that we need a more experienced coach to get the most from the list, we can think Rutten wasn’t getting the most out of the list yet we want to trade a key plank before the coach gets a chance with him.

Counterintuitive.

The worst time to deep cut the list or do anything drastic is when you’ve just brought in a new coach, give them a chance to assess what we have and then make moves accordingly at the end of year one.

have been on the "trade parish" wagon all year but with scott taking over i'm actually pretty excited to see how he goes. if he can develop a defensive element and play a more team-oriented game then **** yeah, re-sign him for 5. if not, he can walk as a free agent and get us a nice compo pick.

have been on the "trade parish" wagon all year but with scott taking over i'm actually pretty excited to see how he goes. if he can develop a defensive element and play a more team-oriented game then * yeah, re-sign him for 5. if not, he can walk as a free agent and get us a nice compo pick.

Parish to play the Levi Greenwood tagging role.

Absolutely staggering
Depends on if you rate front running clearance player with no power impact , average kicking and no defense as premium I guess.

It’s interesting that the club can think that we need a more experienced coach to get the most from the list, we can think Rutten wasn’t getting the most out of the list yet we want to trade a key plank before the coach gets a chance with him.

Counterintuitive.

The worst time to deep cut the list or do anything drastic is when you’ve just brought in a new coach, give them a chance to assess what we have and then make moves accordingly at the end of year one.
Brad Scott likes this.

I'd have no problem with trading out Parish to potentially get another top 10 pick. The lack of size and power in our midfield is glaring. Not saying Parish is all that bad, but when you have Merrett, Caldwell, Hobbs, Shiel and McGrath who are all quite similar surely a point of difference in that midfield is needed for overall balance.

With the likes of Tsatas, McKenzie who are bigger bodies and available in and around the top 10, surely we'd think about it. Two of Sheezel, Tsatas/McKenzie would be awesome imo. (If still available at our picks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back