AFL would have 'no hesitation' suspending Fev

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would he learn this time when he hasn't in the past?

Still has his fat contract and a whole new army of sycophants to defend his actions.

Won't be long and we'll see the "New Brendan" articles waxing lyrical about his change of environment and how he's turned his life around. The birth of his next child should provide plenty of PR opportunities.

Carlton's culture will be trashed, Brisbane's praised.

It's so predictable.

In a few months Brendan will believe his own PR and in his own mind the ends will justify the means and it won't have been his fault anyway.

The only thing Brendan has learnt from this episode is he can do almost anything he likes while he keeps kicking goals.

i feel really dirty, but I agree with you here JD,.

That's a very good point. Throw in the Hurley incident and a lot of others over the years as well.

I strongly doubt anything further is going to happen, but if the AFL try to suspend Fevola for this for a lengthy period of time then there are likely to be big legal implications.

If the AFL suspend him it will be for bringing the game into disrepute so what possible legal implications can arise from that.

Hey everyone (just joined the forum). Personally, if the journalist of which Fev supposedly assaulted is not wanting to press charges...shouldn't they just leave her alone? I know most women have had a drunk guy act stupid to them in an offensive way on alcohol (and not saying this is okay), but at the same time it is not the same as a sober guy acting offensive. I can totally understand her "forgiving" feelings...and am thinking it pretty ridiculous the AFL are trying to provide counseling for that! Although, it would be nice to see Brisbane lose out on Fev if the Blues can't have him...but I would feel horrible for Fev, considering the talent he has, for it all to go unforgiven.

Why would he learn this time when he hasn't in the past?

Still has his fat contract and a whole new army of sycophants to defend his actions.

Won't be long and we'll see the "New Brendan" articles waxing lyrical about his change of environment and how he's turned his life around. The birth of his next child should provide plenty of PR opportunities.

Carlton's culture will be trashed, Brisbane's praised.

It's so predictable.

In a few months Brendan will believe his own PR and in his own mind the ends will justify the means and it won't have been his fault anyway.

The only thing Brendan has learnt from this episode is he can do almost anything he likes while he keeps kicking goals.

Yea, I agree with you...I don't feel like Carlton trading Fev was a real "consequence" for his actions...It is kinda stupid in a way...he's been traded to a club that actually made it one better than the Blues in 2009. In a way it's almost a "reward" rather than a "consequence".

It is important for me to note that I am an American born and raised (moved to Australia to marry my Aussie husband) and became a MASSIVE AFL (Carlton in particular) fan! It is truly the best footy in the world, hands down. It is funny, though, that in the USA, NFL players are basically allowed to run amuck...their off-game activities are not considered relevant at all in the NFL. It is all iso ronic considering the fact that Aussies are more known for their "laid back" nature...and more importantly known for their love of "beer". You would think it would be the other way around when it comes to football and turning a blind eye. At the same time, though, I think it is really upstanding that the AFL want good moral character and role models for their players. There is something really admirable about that. However, as a Blues fan, I was wishing the AFL was more like the NFL in that sense...hated to see Fev go...but I do respect the decisions made.

Yea, I agree with you...

I see you're new here so I'll give you some friendly advice . . . it's generally not a good idea for Carlton supporters around here to be seen saying that. :)

I see you're new here so I'll give you some friendly advice . . . it's generally not a good idea for Carlton supporters around here to be seen saying that. :)

It's only about 5 times out of your 10,000 or so Carlton-related posts so i wouldn't be too concerned JD. ;)

If the AFL suspend him it will be for bringing the game into disrepute so what possible legal implications can arise from that.

I think the Lions could possibly have a case against the AFL for deliberately not bringing to light the potential suspension until after the trade was done.

But more importantly, the number of other incidents that continue to go by without AFL action, including ones that could be judged more serious or as serious as Fevola's (e.g. incidents involving Hurley, Proud, Lovett, etc.). A lengthy suspension wouldn't stand up in a court of law due to a completely inconsistent approach taken by the League.

That is not even beginning to mention that the Brownlow was an official AFL event, with free alcohol on tap and with a known culture of being a big booze up. Don't get me wrong, Fevola was an idiot and he should take the majority of the blame, but the AFL is hardly blameless in this.

In any case, there is very little likelihood that anything will actually eventuate from any of this.

I think the Lions could possibly have a case against the AFL for deliberately not bringing to light the potential suspension until after the trade was done.

Please, voss said he knew what he was getting, surely he didn't think just because carlton had offloaded him meant that fev wouldn't be facing the possibility of sanctions when you take into account the seriousness of the allegations.

But more importantly, the number of other incidents that continue to go by without AFL action, including ones that could be judged more serious or as serious as Fevola's (e.g. incidents involving Hurley, Proud, Lovett, etc.). A lengthy suspension wouldn't stand up in a court of law due to a completely inconsistent approach taken by the League.

To be frank, I don't care whether he does or doesn't receive sanctions but the incidents you quote are "one off" incidents by individual players, fev has history and a long one at that - how long do you let it go on before he is considered to have bought the game into disrepute and the sanction would stand up in court because a precedence has already been set.

That is not even beginning to mention that the Brownlow was an official AFL event, with free alcohol on tap and with a known culture of being a big booze up. Don't get me wrong, Fevola was an idiot and he should take the majority of the blame, but the AFL is hardly blameless in this.

BS. fev has an alcohol problem and needs to take responsibility for himself. We all attend functions every day of the year at some time or another where free alcohol is served and we suffer the consequences if we mess up - we are not talking about an 18yr old kid here.

In any case, there is very little likelihood that anything will actually eventuate from any of this

True, but that don't make it right

FFS it happened nearly a month ago and she's still not sure whether she wants to press charges?

The article doesn't say that at all.

Anderson says:
At this stage the woman concerned doesn’t wish to talk to us.
This looks like an article based on responses to questions put to Anderson, not on any active PR the AFL have put out.

He answers quite plainly that the lady doesn't want to talk to the AFL, and if she does do something the AFL will take action based on what she says. How can you know what action to take if the person involved won't talk to you?

The article doesn't say that at all.

This looks like an article based on responses to questions put to Anderson, not on any active PR the AFL have put out.

He answers quite plainly that the lady doesn't want to talk to the AFL, and if she does do something the AFL will take action based on what she says. How can you know what action to take if the person involved won't talk to you?

The major dailies all carried the same quotes. Anderson also said "We've spoken to the woman concerned." Apologies if I'm wrong but it reeks of propaganda.

The AFL know what happened, have witnesses, have spoken to the women's employer, have Fev's apology (i.e. admitting it happened), maybe even discussed it with the women herself.

I've seen players get rubbed out for 8 weeks with less evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless he r*ped her what's the point of pressing charges?

Don't know about you but most women I know don't like being painted as ****s when you know he's going to get a slap on the wrist at best?

The AFL know that and it's why they are hiding behind the "we don't have a complaint" excuse.

I bet AA & AD haven't even met/talked with the women knowing full well who she is. I bet too they haven't spoken to others that witnessed the event.

The AFL might have a Sex & Responsibility policy but the people in charge don't understand what it should be trying to achieve. If a footballer can hide behind the 'no complaint' excuse then it puts all the responsibility on the women.

The claim is that he was involved in a "sexual assault" which on the face of it hints at a crime. The problem is that, without sounding like a rampant male chauvinist, that could mean he pinched her bum. The term "sexual assault" is so incredibly broad.

Of course we can Bluebird.

I have a love/hate relationship with most Carlton supporters around here.

I love that they hate. :)

Get it right JD, the thing we love about you is that every second post you post on BF is Carlton related and you think it's us who have the obsession issues. :D:rolleyes:

The buzz word floating around now inside the inner sanctum for old mate Fev is "de-listed" if little miss comes forward. Brissy were looking forward to an uninterrupted pre season too. LOL

The claim is that he was involved in a "sexual assault" which on the face of it hints at a crime. The problem is that, without sounding like a rampant male chauvinist, that could mean he pinched her bum. The term "sexual assault" is so incredibly broad.

Don't say broad, that is a sexual assault.

The AFL know what happened, have witnesses, have spoken to the women's employer, have Fev's apology (i.e. admitting it happened), maybe even discussed it with the women herself.

I've seen players get rubbed out for 8 weeks with less evidence.

I don't believe that is right. Fev said he didn't remember much of what happened that night, but had watched the footage and saw how bad he was and had apologised to everyone he offended. He may have apologised to this woman for what he was told he did or what he remembered he did, for something else relating to her, or not apologised at all. We don't know because she isn't talking. Fev publicly just admitted he behaved like a dick that night.

A lot may hinge on what the HUN have told the AFL. Did they pass on any word from her, that it was a just a drunken, embarrassing incident and that an apology was sufficient, or that she feared for her safety? The AFL can only be guided by what they are being told second hand.

It is mentioned in this thread that the AFL said they talked to the woman, and also that they said the woman wouldn't talk to them. These two things do not contradict each other. They can ask the question, she can say she does not wish to discuss it or take it further. Both would be true statements.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL would have 'no hesitation' suspending Fev

Remove this Banner Ad

Back