AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Except the colours on Collingwood's jumper... I was suprised Eddie didn't strong arm Emirates to come up with a black and white logo...

Deep down I personally dont really care what coll wear, they never clash with us, thats beside the point. I am however intrigued by the chest pumping over stripes we hear all the time. This is why there are 'Collihaters', its the misplaced sense of arrogance and the refusal to respect the opposing home teams wishes because they are not as wealthy.

Juventus and Newcastle (for example) are passionate about their black and white stripes and the history that comes with it but are happy to wear other colours (even pink!) when they are the visitors. And they are much bigger than Collingwood (or any AFL club) could ever hope to be.
You hear about pride in the jumper because that's what there is - we have always been the hated and despised simply because we are Collingwood - this stretches back to the 1930's. If as a club you have to put up with universal hate it makes you prouder of who you are.

Yes their is arrogance there, arrogance because we have stood firm against united condemnation for over 70 years, orchestrated and reinforced by the idiot media who perpetuate the 'myths' (lies) for the sake of the almighty dollar and idiotically repeated endlessly by the sheep who lap it up.

If you think we are arrogant tuff luck because - YOU made us that way sunshine.

You hear about pride in the jumper because that's what there is - we have always been the hated and despised simply because we are Collingwood - this stretches back to the 1930's. If as a club you have to put up with universal hate it makes you prouder of who you are.

Yes their is arrogance there, arrogance because we have stood firm against united condemnation for over 70 years, orchestrated and reinforced by the idiot media who perpetuate the 'myths' (lies) for the sake of the almighty dollar and idiotically repeated endlessly by the sheep who lap it up.

If you think we are arrogant tuff luck because - YOU made us that way sunshine.

You see pride, I see insecurity with a dash of hypocrisy thrown in.

We didn't need a friend in parliament to build us our own finals oval to become relevant sunshine.

Haha ok, playing the man now? Not sure what that has to do with the price of eggs but I'll play.

I dont care if Hawthorn are 'relevant' in your eyes (or anyone elses) or not, they are 'relevant' in my eyes. I also dont care if Hawthorn were not 'relevant' 80 years ago. They sure as shit are now and Im secure enough to be happy with that.

Hawthorn's away top is as ugly as sin, but Im not going to bitch and moan like a spoilt child if they are asked to wear it. Its still Hawthorn.

So based on the 'white shorts policy', this weekend West Coast wear Royal Blue shorts as we have no white on our jumper, and North will wear white shorts. Make sense... but I'll believe it when I see it. Precedent over the last few rounds has been dodgy.

I'll believe it when I see it also, although North don't seem to have been taking much issue with white shorts this year- bar one game vs Brisbane which did puzzle me.

If WCE are forced to wear white shorts and Kangaroos aren't, and then at the same time Pies aren't made to wear white shorts, then WCE management should start asking some serious questions.

If you want to see how the rule is really being interpreted then tonight's game (Pies vs Blues) and the North vs WCE game will give you the answers personally.

Going by the NEW rules, then this round would be as follows:

Collingwood (home/white) vs Carlton (home/navy)

Kangaroos (home/white) vs WCE ((royal) away/royal blue)

Melbourne (home/navy) vs Richmond (clash/white) - Richmond could almost wear yellow shorts but that'll never happen

Sydney (home/away) vs Brisbane (home/maroon) - that combo probably won't happen, Brisbane will most likely wear Maroon home with white shorts with Sydney to wear normal home kit. But then again both can wear full home kits and it shouldn't be THAT hard to tell the difference!

Port Adelaide (home/black) vs Adelaide (home/white) - Both can almost wear home kits really, if you can't tell the difference between a White/Teal "V" and Red/Gold/Navy hoops then you must be blind!

St Kilda (home/white) vs Essendon (home/red) - This WILL be no doubt an interesting combo, Saints may be forced to wear Clash but I bloody well hope not. I think this combo happened last year, Bombers wore Home but with Red and Saints wore Home with white.

Hawthorn (home/brown) vs GWS Giants (home/white)

Fremantle (home/purple) vs WB (away/white)

Gold Coast (home/red) vs Geelong (home/navy) - 9/10 teams can wear home kits vs Gold Coast

I'll believe it when I see it also, although North don't seem to have been taking much issue with white shorts this year- bar one game vs Brisbane which did puzzle me.
We usually wear a red jumper with white shorts in Melbourne.

If WCE are forced to wear white shorts and Kangaroos aren't, and then at the same time Pies aren't made to wear white shorts, then WCE management should start asking some serious questions.

If you want to see how the rule is really being interpreted then tonight's game (Pies vs Blues) and the North vs WCE game will give you the answers personally.
Agreed.

Going by the NEW rules, then this round would be as follows:

Collingwood (home/white) vs Carlton (home/navy)

Kangaroos (home/white) vs WCE ((royal) away/royal blue)

Melbourne (home/navy) vs Richmond (clash/white) - Richmond could almost wear yellow shorts but that'll never happen
Richmond should wear yellow shorts.

Sydney (home/away) vs Brisbane (home/maroon) - that combo probably won't happen, Brisbane will most likely wear Maroon home with white shorts with Sydney to wear normal home kit. But then again both can wear full home kits and it shouldn't be THAT hard to tell the difference!
If this rule was enforced properly, we'd be wearing maroon shorts and they would be wearing red.

St Kilda (home/white) vs Essendon (home/red) - This WILL be no doubt an interesting combo, Saints may be forced to wear Clash but I bloody well hope not. I think this combo happened last year, Bombers wore Home but with Red and Saints wore Home with white.
Essendon ACTUALLY have a proper clash jumper now. Not taking the p1ss.

Hawthorn (home/brown) vs GWS Giants (home/white)
GWS should wear their clash for this.

It wasn't our call. The AFL directs teams on what uniform they have to wear. It certainly was a strange one.

Aren't Essendon wearing their new "Heritage" jumper?

Re: Essendon Heritage jumper, I did not know about, so thanks for the clarification.

Re: With the Brisbane wearing the *cough* Fitzroy jumper in away games, especially vs North, they should have been the ones wearing Blue shorts, not North, because Brissy don't have white on any of their jumpers bar the clash.

Richmond should wear Yellow shorts, I have done a few homemade examples and it doesn't look that bad at all.

I doubt GWS will wear their clash vs Hawthorn.

I find it strange that GWS are allowed to wear their orange backed jumper vs Swans (and vice versa), orange vs red looks messy on TV.

Haha ok, playing the man now? Not sure what that has to do with the price of eggs but I'll play.

I dont care if Hawthorn are 'relevant' in your eyes (or anyone elses) or not, they are 'relevant' in my eyes. I also dont care if Hawthorn were not 'relevant' 80 years ago. They sure as shit are now and Im secure enough to be happy with that.

Hawthorn's away top is as ugly as sin, but Im not going to bitch and moan like a spoilt child if they are asked to wear it. Its still Hawthorn.
I feel the same way about our away strip, the bitchers and moaners are well documented and predictable.

I've had a read through the thread (and several others on the same topic), and this is my 6-step action plan:) :
At least there's someone out there who also agrees that a set of rules are required to regulate the issue, rather than the typical 'logical solution' or 'common sense' responses. There are different levels of logic or common sense, and unfortunately, it all goes out the window anyway when the issue directly affects a person or organisation. Everyone thinks they're right.

Rule 1: All teams to provide two (2) UNIFORMS. ‘Kit A’ and ‘Kit B’.
Not just different shorts, not just different guernseys or socks, but two complete uniforms. Both uniforms will be clearly different from each other (different guernseys, different shorts, different socks), and should be able to be used effectively against each other in an intra club match.
I agree that each club must register at least 2 uniforms. However, I'd also add that the two match-day strips must be classified: one as 'first-choice' or 'main' and the other as 'second-choice' or 'alternate' (terminology not so important) which will be explained below.

I'd also add that the 'first-choice' strip needs to be registered by each club with the AFL well in advance of the following season, such as August of the prior year. This will provide guidance for each club in the preparation of a 'second-choice' kit and allow sufficient time for it to be registered with the AFL. The rules must state that the second-choice kit of each club, in the opinion of the AFL, must not be similar to and/or likely to cause confusion with the first-choice kits of clubs that their own first-choice kit is similar to and/or likely to cause confusion with on a match-day.

Rule 2: The HOME team can wear whichever kit they damn well want to. Because it is THEIR HOME GAME.
The HOME team can wear either of their kits - or any combination of them (e.g. guernsey from ‘Kit A’, shorts from ‘Kit B’, socks from ‘Kit A’).

Rule 3: The HOME team chooses which kit the AWAY team wears.
The HOME team can choose either kit provided by the away team (see Rule 1). They cannot mix or match, they must choose one complete kit - ‘A’ or ‘B’.
If the HOME teams wants to choose a kit that clashes with themselves - they can. Because it is THEIR HOME GAME.
The away team has no say whatsoever in the decision. If they don’t like it they can HTFU.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!! The above two rules, particularly the reasoning for Rule 3, are farkin ridiculous.

It's accepted my many that there is a requirement for alternate strips, but it is imperative that the AFL or any competition administrator of any league in the world, control the presentation of its game and its competition.

Apart from a special circumstance or significant event a club would like to commemorate whereby the club can apply to the AFL once each season for permission to wear a different strip, all match-day teams must otherwise wear their first-choice strip in each and every match. In matches in which the AFL is of the opinion that the two first-choice match day strips are similar and/or likely to cause confusion, the away-designated team must either modify it's first-choice strip with a combination, or wear its second-choice strip - whichever solution in the opinion of the AFL will reduce the similarities and/or confusion.

Rule 4: White shorts for the away team is a pathetic embarrassing rule and stops immediately.
Many teams do not use white as a club colour and should not be forced to wear it.
If a team wants to include white shorts in either ‘Kit A’ or ‘Kit B’ then that is entirely up to them.
total agreement here. the white shorts rule is an archaic band-aid fix of the VFL introduced in 1924 as a cost effective solution for this very issue. Changing shorts was a cheap option for many clubs in a semi-professional suburban league. Home wore black, away wore white. In the 70's it became black/colour vs white. In effect, certain clubs such as ESS & GEE who used to wear white shorts at home prior to the introduction of this rule were directed to adopt black shorts in their home kit. In 2012 and with every club a beneficiary of an apparel sponsorships, the rule can be struck out.

Rule 5: Red and black are two completely different colours.
Yes, I had to make this a rule. Apparently the AFL cannot tell the difference between two completely different colours. unbelievable.
The dark vs light classification of strips should be thrown in the bin. This extremely simplified classification is not working, particularly when certain guernseys such as COL home are classified as dark, but the appearance of the front of it is predominantly white. There are other examples too such as the WCE home guernsey (navy blue back, white, yellow front); STK home (dark back, light front); and GWS home strip (orange back, charcoal front); NM alternate guernsey (royal blue back, white front).

If any team has a problem with the above rules - then they can forfeit the game, give up the points, and wipe their tears away with any guernsey they choose.
or a $10k fine per player would also have the club towing the line quickly. Throwing away $220k per match would mean any strip could disappear from the AFL permanently, and very fast.

These rules give all of the responsibility for avoiding clashes to the HOME team. However if the HOME team thinks creating a clash is somehow beneficial to them, then they have that choice. As they should. Because they are the HOME team.

These rules also remove a lot of responsibility from the AFL administration. Which they should be happy about.
“Its not our fault - the HOME team chose the kits, go cry to them you massive sook”.

It took me half an hour to write these rules. IMO they would solve nearly all of the current problems.
Isn’t there a Rules Committee who are supposed to be dealing with sort of thing?

play on...
Actually, no, they wouldn't be happy about relinquishing responsibility. It essential the AFL control the presentation of the game. It has far reaching implications with regard to the broadcast rights, sponsorship deals, product appearance, etc. this is why regulations are required which provide consistency in it's application towards all 18 clubs. at the moment, it's extremely farcical and no OS league would be looking towards the AFL for guidance on this issue. it's actually a joke that a professional league cannot get a grasp on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a farkin' joke the matchday strips of COL vs CAR is.

Before any smart arse traditionalist gets in with a 'get your eyes checked' quip, yes i and any football follower knows the difference between a COL & CAR strip. but the similarity between the two strips on tele causes confusion in pack situations, and neither is distinguished in wide angle shots. as a viewer, why should i put up with this? more so, i'm also a viewer in sydney who has the option of switching to C9 and watching the NRL.......which is what I have done.

Someone's taking the piss at the AFL

They make us wear white shorts with our home jumper - the most ridiculous combination - so Carlton can stay in their preferred strip (because they are now seemingly embarrassed by the baby blue abomination) when the clash was minimal. This clash tonight is one of the worst possible - and still not enforcing the clash jumper.

Seriously gutless from the AFL.

Regardless of whether you agree with the AFL's policy, if they have one in place - it should be the same rules for all clubs.

If the AFL required hawthorn to wear their clash guernsey last week, why aren't Carlton this week?
Because you're not Carlton.

Pathetic

This is pathetic. Posted about it in the gameday thread but it bears repeating here. Plus, the gameday thread moves too quickly for any real discussion to take place.

THRILLHO said:
The AFL clash policy makes absolutely no sense.

AFL mandates Carlton to wear their baby blue clash against St Kilda which have less black and white in their guernsey than Collingwood. To add to the confusion, Carlton have decided to incorporate more white into their outfit by wearing white shorts. Just ridiculous.

And before someone says "get your eyes checked." It's simply not about that. I can tell the difference between the teams. But I want a clear distinction between the teams. I don't want to spend a nanosecond thinking that's Carlton with it now. Now Collingwood have it.

I've been watching for five minutes now and I'm thinking I can't be bothered as it's too confusing on the eyes.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back