AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

il_fullxfull.247975675.jpg

If the Dockers wore these rubbery white shorts, Ross Lyon would have even more of a bounce in his step as he sashayed out for the three-quarter time address.

Sorry to bump a thread here, but speaking of Collingwood, who wears what on Friday night?

Surely it won't be Collingwood wearing home vs Carlton Home with white shorts??

I'd be very surprised to see Collingwood run out in anything but the home jumper and black shorts. Technically the AFL should make Carlton wear their clash, but it'll never happen so we will end up with the above scenario.

Which is ridiculous.
If Collingwood are made to wear clash vs Carlton (when playing as the away team) then Carlton should have to wear their clash. How KISS can one get? But knowing the AFL, it will be Collingwood home/home vs Carlton home/away.
If comparing the WCE game, where WCE were forced to wear white shorts at home vs Carltons all home then technically that should happen with the Pies....obviously it probably won't. If not then I think WCE should start asking questions. But that's just me.

So we know that the old home/away rule is a thing of the past. The AFL has explained that the new rule to determine which team wears the white shorts is based on the premise that the AFL wants to avoid adding white to a uniform that does not already contain white. Consequently, when Essendon travels to Perth to play Fremantle, the AFL has decided that the purple and white Dockers should wear the white shorts rather than the red and black Bombers. I wonder if anyone from AFL HQ would care to explain why on the very same day, the blue and gold Eagles are wearing white shorts playing against the black and WHITE Magpies.
Wow another kanga supporter weeping about colours - just to add to the never ending whinge about away strips. It's never enough for some, never mind the adults will continue discussing FOOTBALL while you sook about important stuff like shorts colours. :rolleyes:

Some teams have strong presidents who will not put up with overbearing AFL interference. :rolleyes:
Never thought I'd hear that from a Collingwood supporter. LOL

If it's the team mentioned second on the fixture sheet then it shouldn't be an issue, but when the AFL starts mucking around teams when it's their home game, then it's an issue
I'm waiting for the day the Home team is forced to wear their full Clash uniform because the away side can't produce a decent attempt at an away/clash jumper.

I'm waiting for the day the Home team is forced to wear their full Clash uniform because the away side can't produce a decent attempt at an away/clash jumper.
Collingwood are proud of their traditions and will fight tooth and nail to keep them intact, we aren't nomads.

Already happened, we've had to do it in the past against Essendon.

Already happened, we've had to do it in the past against Essendon.
Think that was sarcasm.

But St Kilda's 09-10 clash strip was perfect. You guys shouldn't have been allowed to change that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL should have never approved Collingwood going from mainly white to mainly black.
AFL should have never approved St Kilda changing from their 09-10 clash jumper.
And the AFL should have definitely NEVER approved our jumper change in the 09-10 off season!

I've had a read through the thread (and several others on the same topic), and this is my 6-step action plan:) :

Rule 1: All teams to provide two (2) UNIFORMS. ‘Kit A’ and ‘Kit B’.
Not just different shorts, not just different guernseys or socks, but two complete uniforms. Both uniforms will be clearly different from each other (different guernseys, different shorts, different socks), and should be able to be used effectively against each other in an intra club match.

Rule 2: The HOME team can wear whichever kit they damn well want to. Because it is THEIR HOME GAME.
The HOME team can wear either of their kits - or any combination of them (e.g. guernsey from ‘Kit A’, shorts from ‘Kit B’, socks from ‘Kit A’).

Rule 3: The HOME team chooses which kit the AWAY team wears.
The HOME team can choose either kit provided by the away team (see Rule 1). They cannot mix or match, they must choose one complete kit - ‘A’ or ‘B’.
If the HOME teams wants to choose a kit that clashes with themselves - they can. Because it is THEIR HOME GAME.
The away team has no say whatsoever in the decision. If they don’t like it they can HTFU.

Rule 4: White shorts for the away team is a pathetic embarrassing rule and stops immediately.
Many teams do not use white as a club colour and should not be forced to wear it.
If a team wants to include white shorts in either ‘Kit A’ or ‘Kit B’ then that is entirely up to them.

Rule 5: Red and black are two completely different colours.
Yes, I had to make this a rule. Apparently the AFL cannot tell the difference between two completely different colours. unbelievable.

Rule 6: If any team has a problem with the above rules - then they can forfeit the game, give up the points, and wipe their tears away with any guernsey they choose.

These rules give all of the responsibility for avoiding clashes to the HOME team. However if the HOME team thinks creating a clash is somehow beneficial to them, then they have that choice. As they should. Because they are the HOME team.

These rules also remove a lot of responsibility from the AFL administration. Which they should be happy about.
“Its not our fault - the HOME team chose the kits, go cry to them you massive sook”.

It took me half an hour to write these rules. IMO they would solve nearly all of the current problems.
Isn’t there a Rules Committee who are supposed to be dealing with sort of thing?

play on...

I've had a read through the thread (and several others on the same topic), and this is my 6-step action plan:) :

Rule 1: All teams to provide two (2) UNIFORMS. ‘Kit A’ and ‘Kit B’.
Not just different shorts, not just different guernseys or socks, but two complete uniforms. Both uniforms will be clearly different from each other (different guernseys, different shorts, different socks), and should be able to be used effectively against each other in an intra club match.

Rule 2: The HOME team can wear whichever kit they damn well want to. Because it is THEIR HOME GAME.
The HOME team can wear either of their kits - or any combination of them (e.g. guernsey from ‘Kit A’, shorts from ‘Kit B’, socks from ‘Kit A’).

Rule 3: The HOME team chooses which kit the AWAY team wears.
The HOME team can choose either kit provided by the away team (see Rule 1). They cannot mix or match, they must choose one complete kit - ‘A’ or ‘B’.
If the HOME teams wants to choose a kit that clashes with themselves - they can. Because it is THEIR HOME GAME.
The away team has no say whatsoever in the decision. If they don’t like it they can HTFU.

Rule 4: White shorts for the away team is a pathetic embarrassing rule and stops immediately.
Many teams do not use white as a club colour and should not be forced to wear it.
If a team wants to include white shorts in either ‘Kit A’ or ‘Kit B’ then that is entirely up to them.

Rule 5: Red and black are two completely different colours.
Yes, I had to make this a rule. Apparently the AFL cannot tell the difference between two completely different colours. unbelievable.

Rule 6: If any team has a problem with the above rules - then they can forfeit the game, give up the points, and wipe their tears away with any guernsey they choose.

These rules give all of the responsibility for avoiding clashes to the HOME team. However if the HOME team thinks creating a clash is somehow beneficial to them, then they have that choice. As they should. Because they are the HOME team.

These rules also remove a lot of responsibility from the AFL administration. Which they should be happy about.
“Its not our fault - the HOME team chose the kits, go cry to them you massive sook”.

It took me half an hour to write these rules. IMO they would solve nearly all of the current problems.
Isn’t there a Rules Committee who are supposed to be dealing with sort of thing?

play on...

What about teams that require a third outfit for a single clash?

Different rules apply to Essendon and Collingwood to protect the integrity of their traditional strips. Freo's traditional colours are purple, red, green and white. When teams decide to change colours, they forfeit privileges such as choice of shorts colour. This is how the AFL works, regardless of any so-called white shorts rule..

"When teams decide to change colours, they forfeit privileges such as choice of shorts colour." Care to show the regulation that confirms this? Or are you simply defending the obstinacy of some clubs who think they are above the rest?

Collingwood are proud of their traditions and will fight tooth and nail to keep them intact, we aren't nomads.

If a tweak to the game day jumper is forsaking traditions and cultures of the club then Colingwood are far more insecure than I thought.

I'd follow hawthorn without objection if they ran out in 90s mambo t-shirts for away games. Still the same club. Guess Im a little more secure in my clubs identity.

"We're not ditching our stripes!! A big, bright red logo for an international airline with no historic affiliation to Collingwood on the front and back of the jumper is ok though...."

logo_emirates.gif

If a tweak to the game day jumper is forsaking traditions and cultures of the club then Colingwood are far more insecure than I thought.

I'd follow hawthorn without objection if they ran out in 90s mambo t-shirts for away games. Still the same club. Guess Im a little more secure in my clubs identity.

"We're not ditching our stripes!! A big, bright red logo for an international airline with no historic affiliation to Collingwood on the front and back of the jumper is ok though...."

logo_emirates.gif
We have already 'tweaked' but a tweak is never enough for a true Collihater, any excuse is good. So the AFL got their 'tweak' and the sooks are still whining - I find it oddly comforting to know that some things never change.

We have already 'tweaked' but a tweak is never enough for a true Collihater, any excuse is good. So the AFL got their 'tweak' and the sooks are still whining - I find it oddly comforting to know that some things never change.

Except the colours on Collingwood's jumper... I was suprised Eddie didn't strong arm Emirates to come up with a black and white logo...

Deep down I personally dont really care what coll wear, they never clash with us, thats beside the point. I am however intrigued by the chest pumping over stripes we hear all the time. This is why there are 'Collihaters', its the misplaced sense of arrogance and the refusal to respect the opposing home teams wishes because they are not as wealthy.

Juventus and Newcastle (for example) are passionate about their black and white stripes and the history that comes with it but are happy to wear other colours (even pink!) when they are the visitors. And they are much bigger than Collingwood (or any AFL club) could ever hope to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back