AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulls**t. It was Geelong's home game and that President is no longer there. Insane Eddie, the hot tempered sook that he is won't organise a WHITE away strip with no verticals, too logical a solution for him and the inbreds.

But the issue really isn't with the front of the jumper. If the Pies had an all white jumper with dark numbers last night then from behind it would have been a nightmare.

There are really only 2 options -

Cats wear white shorts as the home team, like they did when they hosted Carlton in Geelong.
or
Pies create a 3rd strip just in case they play as the away team against Geelong in the finals.

One is a really simple, easy fix that has been used for years previously...

Geelong's home strip consists of the white-based navy hoop shirt, navy shorts, hooped socks. Every other team - mainly north, st Kilda and Collingwood should be required to come up with a clash kit that is effective in distinguishing the two teams when they play each other. I don't understand why this is so hard to get? It has nothing to do with home and away shorts. What should be worn is the home team's preferred home strip (i.e. navy shorts in this case), and whichever strip the away team has that stops a kit clash (whether that's full home, full away, a mix, or a clash kit). Every other professional league on the planet seems to be able to grasp this concept except the AFL and a fair few of its fans.

Geelong's home strip consists of the white-based navy hoop shirt, navy shorts, hooped socks. Every other team - mainly north, st Kilda and Collingwood should be required to come up with a clash kit that is effective in distinguishing the two teams when they play each other. I don't understand why this is so hard to get? It has nothing to do with home and away shorts. What should be worn is the home team's preferred home strip (i.e. navy shorts in this case), and whichever strip the away team has that stops a kit clash (whether that's full home, full away, a mix, or a clash kit). Every other professional league on the planet seems to be able to grasp this concept except the AFL and a fair few of its fans.
How many home games over last decade have geelong wore blue shorts?

What makes you say that? Why would it be rubbish for the shorts to match the main colour of the jumper? Would the Swans kit look nicer with red or white shorts? Would the Saints jumper look better with red or white shorts when it is mostly black? Geelong's kit looks much nicer with white shorts than blue ones. And the away kit looks better with the dark ones.

Bulls**t. It was Geelong's home game and that President is no longer there. Insane Eddie, the hot tempered sook that he is won't organise a WHITE away strip with no verticals, too logical a solution for him and the inbreds.
In years gone by, whoever was the "home" team in finals has been utterly irrelevant. Frequently the home side has worn white shorts to facilitate a better contrast, including Collingwood.

2011 PF:

2012 SF:

I can produce countless others - hell, even Geelong in the same fixture against Richmond in 2017. The home team has not mattered when it has come to the shorts. Jumpers have been different - when no combination of shorts can resolve the clash, the away team has worn their clash strip. But that's not the case last night.

But for some reason Geelong wanted to beat their chest about being higher-ranked and somehow this has gone out the window.

Its got everything to do with shorts.

Geelong wear white shorts with its predominantly white home kit

Collingwood wear its black kit and black shorts

Has worked fine for years.

No it doesn't. Collingwood don't have an effective clash for Geelong's home strip which is the actual issue, meaning that Geelong have been forced into wearing white shorts for their home games when the two teams play. All because Eddie doesn't want Collingwood wearing anything but the black and white stripes. It's amateur stuff.

Its been so easily solved, yet all kinds of other clubs have been forced to come up with bastard strips for clashes which aren't clashes really

In years gone by, whoever was the "home" team in finals has been utterly irrelevant. Frequently the home side has worn white shorts to facilitate a better contrast, including Collingwood.

2011 PF:
View attachment 741990

2012 SF:

View attachment 741992

I can produce countless others - hell, even Geelong in the same fixture against Richmond in 2017. The home team has not mattered when it has come to the shorts. Jumpers have been different - when no combination of shorts can resolve the clash, the away team has worn their clash strip. But that's not the case last night.

But for some reason Geelong wanted to beat their chest about being higher-ranked and somehow this has gone out the window.
Jesue wept, they finished on top FFS, the Pies fell arse backwards into the top 4 and Eddie wanst his cake and eat it too. I noticed that double chin has returned. If Costa shook hands on any deal to wear a particular strip he didn't consult with thfnas before hand. Bugger Eddie, the purple headed boofhead can get stuffed on this one . Collingwood need a WHITE away strip with no vertical stripes...

What makes you say that? Why would it be rubbish for the shorts to match the main colour of the jumper? Would the Swans kit look nicer with red or white shorts? Would the Saints jumper look better with red or white shorts when it is mostly black? Geelong's kit looks much nicer with white shorts than blue ones. And the away kit looks better with the dark ones.
Geelong's main colour is NAVY Blue as much as it is White. They wear Navy Blue shorts for home games... and they qualified for a home final on the oppsitions home ground. How much more rogering can the Cats take? Geelong look much better in Navy shorts. Perhaps the socks up rule should come in?

Jesue wept, they finished on top FFS, the Pies fell arse backwards into the top 4 and Eddie wanst his cake and eat it too. I noticed that double chin has returned. If Costa shook hands on any deal to wear a particular strip he didn't consult with thfnas before hand. Bugger Eddie, the purple headed boofhead can get stuffed on this one . Collingwood need a WHITE away strip with no vertical stripes...
And collingwood all in white with white shorts and white socks and heck even white boots will still clash with what geelong wore last night. Look at wide shots. Both teams look white. How is making one more whiter going to help??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong's main colour is NAVY Blue as much as it is White. They wear Navy Blue shorts for home games... and they qualified for a home final on the oppsitions home ground. How much more rogering can the Cats take?
How many home games in last decade have they wore blue shorts?

Mate it would've looked worse if Collingwood wore a white jumper

Geelong in navy shorts looks shit

There was nothing wrong with the jumperd both teams wore the problem was 100% the shorts

Mate it would've looked worse if Collingwood wore a white jumper

Geelong in navy shorts looks s**t

There was nothing wrong with the jumperd both teams wore the problem was 100% the shorts
Forget about him. Doesn’t answer logical questions

I don't get why Geelong supporters are so against wearing the white shorts? IMO, they look much better in white shorts than in blue shorts, goes better with the jersey.

They just needed black shorts.
Many clubs in our game focus strongly on their main jumper and if we can facilitate that we should as often as is practical. The jumper is a brand marker so it should be used.

No it doesn't. Collingwood don't have an effective clash for Geelong's home strip which is the actual issue, meaning that Geelong have been forced into wearing white shorts for their home games when the two teams play. All because Eddie doesn't want Collingwood wearing anything but the black and white stripes. It's amateur stuff.
In thr past 10 years Geelong have worn white shorts against nearly everyone so it's hardly something we can pin solely on Eddie.

Its been so easily solved, yet all kinds of other clubs have been forced to come up with bastard strips for clashes which aren't clashes really

It’s a simple solution for Geelong because their home strip is white. Wear white shorts and then the away team has half a chance if wearing a strip with a suitable clash.

It’s worked perfectly well for 20 years. The home team wearing black shorts is comically outdated as a concept.

Collingwoods dark strip is 75 percent black and it’s totally suitable against Geelong. As long as they are wearing black shorts.

Teams should wear the main colour of their jumper as the same colour of their shorts. 9 times out of 10 this will fix the issue. Wearing the blue shorts with a mostly white jumper looked and is silly

Personally I think Geelong's white shorts look better with the jumper, but I wouldn't say they look silly in the navy shorts against the right opponent. North's traditional white with blue stripes and blue shorts/socks was a great combo.

It's weird because, take soccer for example: half the teams usually wear shorts that are the secondary colour or even some other random colour. Take Brazil: yellow shirt, blue shorts, white socks, green numbers...what the? But it's classic, possibly because a new team starting up would never consider that combination. If/when the Socceroos and Wallabies wear gold shorts instead of green with their gold shirts, it looks weird. I reckon West Coast's and Richmond's away jumpers would look weird with yellow shorts too. So I dunno.

I think in general the AFL is different, simply because it's the standard. Teams (an inordinate number of whom wear black or a similar dark colour at home) wear shorts in the same colour. So when a team like Geelong mixes it up, especially with a mainly white jumper, it causes issues. I think it would actually be nice if a few more of the old VFL teams were less conservative with their clash strips, that would probably help a lot.

But whether it's Geelong being obliged to wear white shorts at home, or the away team having to find a kit to accommodate the home team's regardless what it is, the AFL needs to make a clear set of rules and stick to them.

Last edited:
Not measured in Flags. One in 21 disgraceful.

Disgraceful? It's not the best record around, but it's not disgraceful lmao.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back