News AFLW New Jumpers for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

At a guess, I wonder if the Hawthorn jumper is meant to signify a football field. The three circles representing each line (forward, midfield, defence) as a large circle with smaller circles inside often represents a meeting place. The smaller circles may be a crowd, although people are usually represented as a semi circle. The circles might even be the outside of a stadium, while the yellow oval could be the be the bays of seating in a stadium.
Alternatively it might represent a journey of sorts, where each circle is a resting place or campsite and the lines connecting them are the path taken. The circles on the outside might represent plants, which could make sense given how Melbourne would’ve looked in a pre-colonial era. Would love to know the official symbolism behind the design though, I’ve grown to really enjoy the learning opportunity that comes as a result of Indigenous round in the AFL.

Hawthorn AFLW S9 Womens Indigenous Guernsey

Art by J.D. Penangke

Jade is a proud Whadjuk, Ballardong and Eastern Arrente woman and artist.

Jade’s art tells the story of Hawthorn’s AFLW journey, including the three First Nations players who have pulled on the brown and gold guernsey – Kaitlyn Ashmore, Janet Baird and Mattea Breed.

Other elements on the front of the guernse represent the foundational pillars of People, Football and Sustainability. On the back features include rain that nurtures the seeds of growth and development, people coming together in celebration of football and resilience, all surrounded by community and football supporters.

Guernsey designers really do get hampered with the cotton on shoulder tabs. Just why?
They've shown that they can print on them with last years pride designs. It really annoys me that Essendon's sash has a massive section cut out when they could fix it if they wanted to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some AFLW clubs have a limited kit suite.
All AFLW teams should have at least two different colours of shorts to pick from, even though white is no longer used, i.e.

Adelaide: navy, red
Brisbane: maroon, yellow
Carlton: navy blue, sky blue
Collingwood: black, silver
Essendon: black, red
Geelong: navy blue, sky blue
GWS: charcoal, orange
Gold Coast: red, blue
Fremantle: purple, green
Hawthorn: brown, yellow
Melbourne: navy blue, red
Kangaroos: royal blue, sky blue
Port Adelaide: black, teal
Richmond: black, yellow
St Kilda: black, red
Sydney: red, gray
West Coast: royal blue, yellow
Western Bulldogs: royal blue, red

All AFLW teams should have at least two different colours of shorts to pick from, even though white is no longer used, i.e.

Adelaide: navy, red
Brisbane: maroon, yellow
Carlton: navy blue, sky blue
Collingwood: black, silver
Essendon: black, red
Geelong: navy blue, sky blue
GWS: charcoal, orange
Gold Coast: red, blue
Fremantle: purple, green
Hawthorn: brown, yellow
Melbourne: navy blue, red
Kangaroos: royal blue, sky blue
Port Adelaide: black, teal
Richmond: black, yellow
St Kilda: black, red
Sydney: red, gray
West Coast: royal blue, yellow
Western Bulldogs: royal blue, red
I reckon North should have a navy pair similar to the AFL men's training and media gear. Could be paired with a jumper too? Tho not a specific need

Dogs v Eagles was no clash even with both in royal shorts.

Shows white shorts often aren't needed if the clash jumper is suitable.

Biggest drama in afl clashes is mostly clubs wearing white shorts against teams in white (or clubs not wearing clash at all aka blues)

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFLW New Jumpers for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back