Game Day AFLW Round 1, 2024: West Coast vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What that'll do for the girls confidence is HUGE.
Come from behind, get the win, after all the garbage of the last few years will set them up for a good year.

Cleaver, Rentsch, Bushby & Bakker - all very good early. Wakfers agility pre knee is back.

And I think Simmons was very good in contests with her body work and ability to use hands

Roberts and Thomas are our Rolls Royce’s

Also - we can’t play Lewis & Swanson in the mid together anymore for mine. One, we can handle the turnovers, both it’ll be too big a bridge to cross.

What that'll do for the girls confidence is HUGE.
Come from behind, get the win, after all the garbage of the last few years will set them up for a good year.

Grabbing Daisy was the first steps in the club actually giving a shit about the women's team for once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't get carried away just yet, Richmond played like utter crap that first half, gifted us goals, missed sitters, should have won by a lot. Their lineup is much better than ours, and it showed once they got their heads straight in the second half. I wouldn't count on that happening many more times this year, especially now that clubs know they can't take us lightly.

BUT, that only proves that the Daisy effect is real. We beat a probable-finalist with a less-deep and far less experienced lineup, because our coaching was far better than theirs. So long term my optimism goes way up, because while I think this will be a very tough season, we've got exactly the coach we need over the next few years to help the girls develop into serious contenders.

Wouldn't get carried away just yet,
I think we’re allowed to enjoy a win and not think too deeply considering our pretty awful performances over the years across both programs.

Wouldn't get carried away just yet, Richmond played like utter crap that first half, gifted us goals, missed sitters, should have won by a lot. Their lineup is much better than ours, and it showed once they got their heads straight in the second half. I wouldn't count on that happening many more times this year, especially now that clubs know they can't take us lightly.

BUT, that only proves that the Daisy effect is real. We beat a probable-finalist with a less-deep and far less experienced lineup, because our coaching was far better than theirs. So long term my optimism goes way up, because while I think this will be a very tough season, we've got exactly the coach we need over the next few years to help the girls develop into serious contenders.

I bet you were the miserable kid in the school yard, that loved telling the other kids that Father Christmas wasn't true. ;)

2166 in attendance, record crowd at MRP apparently.

So much to like about the game. Yes Richmond are better, and ultimately were better tonight in a lot of ways even after an entirely wasted half. Nothing to get carried away with results wise in the short term.

But far out, how much more ambitious was the style. We had width, we had options up the field, we didn’t push the entire team into the defensive 60 or so and play chip and chase all night. A few moments of that, which seemed like falling into old habits as they got tired, but the link up handball was like nothing we’ve seen from this program. An intention to play cohesive footy, with intent, from the opening bounce.

The Eagles have not taken the AFLW seriously to this point. Whether we still pick up the spoon or finish right down the bottom this year isn’t important to me right now. That was the culmination of a hard reset on the AFLW program, with Pyke in the door, Daisy at the helm, and showing that going forward we actually intend on playing women’s football, not just fielding a women’s football team.

Just so encouraged by what that game represented for the club, far more so than how a win sets up the season.

Has plans and strategies for different scenarios, a concept just absolutely beyond Prior's comprehension...

In fairness to Prior, he had most scenarios covered except for ‘what happens if the siren goes and they bounce the ball’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back