AFLW Toast AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Contract lengths 2024
Going into next season I think the list is getting better, they are investing in youth and bringing in a couple of quality players.

We have the likes of Ashmore, Bates, Bodey, West, Sheriff, McDonagh, Lucas-Rodd, Wales, Fleming, Gilroy with the 2 Irish girls being my favourites, I love the run and long kicking of Gilroy and the forward craft of McDonagh

New girls Williamson who is bloody quick, Stone who has a lot of potential to be a very good player and Vukic playing as a ruck/forw

Smith is a tough nut, Elliot and Everist give us good def depth, Baskaran can play forw or mid, it's good to see Hipwell playing and getting a long contract, she has good movement and talent, Breed might play as a pressure forw?, Richardson and Kemp have been good for us in defense in previous seasons.

It's a shame Eardley is injured

Breed will play on ball

Stone is an elite talent with blinding speed (fastest draft combine 20m of any active player), with Williamson also being an elite outside runner. Both also have good size.

I would argue Eardley is our most irreplaceable player, so a huge loss, especially against the Carlton forward line

Everist played key back in Season 7 and clearly it's her best role. Issue is that Carlton have a lot of size foreard of centre and in the ruck, with only Everist at 177cm taller than 172cm.

Vukic is a match up decision due to the above mentioned size. Carlton will run a high intensity rotation of 3 quality rucks (Moody x 2, Good) to try and work Wales over.

I can't wait to be there tomorrow, travelled down from Canberra for it

https://open.substack.com/pub/hfcso...n=post&utm_medium=web&showWelcomeOnShare=true (Opposition analysis from me which I put out today for Soaring to New Heights)

Not starting from scratch, sure, but Everist still has to develop and going from back-wing-back isn't the same as someone like Eardley or even Elliot who've been training as defenders every pre-season. It's a lot to ask one player against as you say, a lot of talls with our most important player (positionally) out.

Matchups are a concern, if Vukic is playing because of it, surely Stephenson should be playing too? Her height would make her so valuable. Haven't heard of injuries issues like I think there was last season.

Not trying to be too pessimistic. I think Carlton may edge it in a shootout but where we win the day is midfield - we have so much talent this year. Having the likes of Flem on the outside or not attending many centre bounces highlights that. Same for likes of TLR. If it proves to be windy then we can just keep possession and territory in our favour.

Go Hawks!

Not the best crowd to roll in for an early season game.
Weather may be a part, and playing Carlton (who's fans aren't exactly the most supportive of women's footy) may also be a reason

Crowd filled out nicely, probably about 2.5k

I'm a bit concerned about our defenders being caught up the field, but credit to them they are pushing hard the other way and getting to create a contest.

Took half of the 2nd quarter to realise that going long would see the ball carry and allow us to run on. When we did we banged on 3. Hopefully we regroup and run rather than kick into this breeze

Fantastic quarter. Took a while to take advantage of the breeze but have definitely done that now.

Breed breakout season? Scary if so. Impressed with what we've seen from defence so far. Jenna chased down what would've been Carlton best chance of the quarter and Kemp is marking well, improved heaps.

And did they say on comms Bodey's hand injury was a dog bite?! Hope it wasn't Ted!

AFLW Round 1 Review Podcast by Soaring To New Heights

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Toast AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back