Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, watching the last few games, and comparing Season/Career Averages a few things have stood out;

Huge improvement across the board. Strom, O'Sullivan and Miller have made massive jumps. Miller and Strom's marking is becoming a real weapon.

McCarthy has mainly negated Turbo's loss - again, huge increase on Season vs Career averages across the board. She's also got a nice i50 delivery - Miller tends to throw it on the boot, which isn't problematic given the forward pressure we're generating, but it's great to see a bit of finesse. Her and Miller are a great contested 1-2 punch, with O'Sullivan adding to the grunt.

Brazill is probably recruit of the year for mine (McCarthy a gnat's chuff behind). She's shored up the defense and marshalls incredibly well. O'Driscoll is benefitting from her leadership and that whole back six appears way more settled.

Verrier's got a bit of class about her, needs to get more of it. Wouldn't mind her as a small pressure forward full-time to be honest.

Really impressed - slow starts aside, we seem fit, got loads of grunt, and nice ball movement when the opportunity presents. Gutting that Tighe is out, I think with her in, we'd be smokies for a PF.

watching the first quarter now. ill admit i didn't get to watch last season at all. but i can see clear improvement. the girls are very very hard at it. holds us in good stead come finals.

I don't mind the "just throw it on the boot forward" tactic as long as it's to space, if Strom continues dominating then they should work into a stoppage game seizing grass with kicks forward.

It certainly looks like the marking skills in AFLW have improved ahead of the kicking skills, which will make for very defensive games.

The smaller balls they use in the AFLW are so shit to kick. Something needs to be done there.

I love Kikoak. Just love her.

Mim was always going to come good.

My son's girlfriend, who is at WAIS as a hockey player, tells me that a number of the girls at WAIS toiling away at a number of sports are turning their head in footy's direction now there is money being paid. We could get a genuine influx of stupidly fit and physically gifted women into footy, lifting the base along with the new generation of footy as first-sport players coming through the ranks.

I feel Gabby O’Sullivan has improved her skills quite a lot. With her guts and determination this makes her a very good player.
The cross codes tend to have more growth in them.

Apart from the Irish girls, we have stopped the recruitment of cross coders.

Love for the club to get the next O’Sullivan especially Basketballers who have completed in the NCAA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The smaller balls they use in the AFLW are so shit to kick. Something needs to be done there.

I love Kikoak. Just love her.

Mim was always going to come good.

My son's girlfriend, who is at WAIS as a hockey player, tells me that a number of the girls at WAIS toiling away at a number of sports are turning their head in footy's direction now there is money being paid. We could get a genuine influx of stupidly fit and physically gifted women into footy, lifting the base along with the new generation of footy as first-sport players coming through the ranks.
100%.

i think its a really balanced midfield. power and goal scoring.

I have 2 things as well which i find quite interesting. its clear to me that the aflw game is more contest heavy with more bombs to packs. therefore, perhaps a dominant ruck is more important than in the mens game. thus mim strom is potentially more important than sean darcy to her team.

secondly, daisy pearce and lisa webb are both former players. I think an understanding of what does and doesn't work in aflw is clearly important and probably helping improve aflw quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back