List Mgmt. Aisho Going Elsewhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lets get this straight.

You can't see the difference in a situation where a bloke - who won the best and fairest at your club, played in a premiership with your club, contributed to your club as a whole over 6 seasons, whom wanted to live in the same state as his sick father and play footy with his brother.

As opposed to a bloke who's sat the requisite 2 years at a club (in which they invested heavily in him in pick 7), had an impeccable first season, had an average year blighted by injury (he wasn't dropped for the second part of the year, he broke his jaw for the uneducated that seem to be peddling this line), put off contract negotiations consistently, whom has no affiliation to your club/state.

One seemingly earned some right to pick his club of destination due to attachments to said club. The other seems to think that giving the minimal service required, then not only decides to go to pick a state of preference, but a team of preference. What right has a second year player earned in making such a bold move.

This isn't a go at collingwood per se, more a go at the self-entitlement of said pick 7 thinking that he gets a free reign. I think had he as a person said, 'my heart isn't in it up here - I'd like to be traded to (state)' etc, you'd have seen the club as more forthcoming and understanding, as it would give us far more options to be compensated fairly. On the back of 5 first rounders picking and choosing where they wanted to go, a line in the sand had to be drawn somewhere.

As for the trading of other players, it seems as if we'll help Redden get to his club of choice (given that you know, he's also given 6 seasons of service etc). I'd be disappointed in the club if they didn't do this.

As for the message it sends.....it is what it is.

Happy to respond to this bc I think in many ways you are putting forward some valid points.

The issue though where it falls over (at least in my mind) is that despite Dayne having a sick father he was adamant he wanted to go to Brisbane and nowhere else. I suspect you know Dayne family actually from the Coast so if the guy was trying to do the right thing by the club would or could have said, "hey I want to go back to QLD for family reasons but I am open to both and happy for you guys to try and strike a deal with either on the basis I can also get decent terms". He didn't say anything like that…….in fact he spoke with Brisbane exclusively through the year, accepted a massive offer and then told a club who had invested heavily in him (on and off the field…most notably 2010) that they had one choice but to deal. I think you can acknowledge Collingwoods investment in Dayne was much more significant than your in James.

Don't get me wrong I have empathy for your club with Aish just as I do with our and Freeman. But to my mind if a kid doesn't want to be there let them go and facilitate something back that helps. With respect your club needs that help. It is incredible to me that having asked the Commission for a Priority pick you would let a kid walk who may get you something v decent and fair back to just walk. I suspect you have done your dash with the Commission for a long time off the back of that and would be sure that point is being made to them.

At the end of the day a club has to create a culture and environment as does any work place to encourage their talent to stay. Lions were incredibly good at this but in the last 3-4 years have not done it well and they need to look inwardly. I know Craig and Mel and they will create that environment but the way your coach behaves has to be a part of the solution. Lions know that and thats why they got Craig and Mel up there.

As for Redden, I was more upset about losing Dayne than Freeman so am surprised you are the other way but I can understand that.

IF Aish doesn't come to Pies so be it. In many way be happier them chasing Jed Anderson who am a massive fan of. Carlton will gladly take him for nothing and you guys will come up short. It won't send any other message than 'gee when I get interviewed by the Lions for drafting I think I might just be careful about seeming to keen to go if I think I might want to come back at some stage'.

Just to be clear though, it is in everyones interest that the Pies pay something that is reasonable.

Pickering saying Aish has requested trade, Lions need points for academy picks, 3 options post trade period if no trade agreed, ND?, PD?,?

Aish keen to play in Melbourne for Collingwood

Ho hum

Sorry to burst your black and white bubble but I would be extremely surprised if Crows don't pick up Aish with pick 14 after the Dangerfield debacle... would be a good PR move to bring home the royalty. Also Blues will definitely take him with their second rounder or pick 1 in PSD if he nominates for that.

Like I said earlier this will be interesting times ahead for Aish and the Brisbane Lions and Collingwood football clubs.
Yes, let's bring home a player that doesn't want to be there. Sounds like an excellent PR strategy.

Pickering saying Aish has requested trade, Lions need points for academy picks, 3 options post trade period if no trade agreed, ND?, PD?,?

Aish keen to play in Melbourne for Collingwood

Ho hum
I suppose the third option is to not nominate for either draft then sit out the year.

Headland was wearing a Fremantle jumper when your club interviewed him at the time. Biggest flight risk ever yet Brisbane still picked him !

Lol they have a habbit of doing that.

Aish was the same.
Went as far to put out pre draft about how he wanted to come to pies and play under his child hood hero Buckley or stay in SA namely crows. Was not interested in any other teams.

2 years later and surprise, surprise I want out and to the Pies...

I think if a trade gets done it will only be after involvement of the AFL following mediation. It's the only way the Lions can save face because I 100% believe that Matthews means what he says.

I suppose the third option is to not nominate for either draft then sit out the year.

Yeah, would be interesting to see a player actually take that stance.

Have him down the club training and learning the club systems and game plan. Give him a job at the club and then draft him the following year as a delisted FA.

Not sure how many players would go to this drastic of a measure and I would put it in the 99.9% chance of not happening basket. But wouldn't it create a shit storm if it did!:D

They will come to the party and negotiate a deal.

It's pretty clear Aish is out the door.

Imagine how laughable it would be if we picked him up in the national draft for less than our offer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont mind the Lions playing hardball and making a stand...they shouldve done it years ago with guys like polec and yeo who they just let walk easily.

The short term focus for Brisbane needs to be repairing their culture and creating an environment players want to stay.

We are having similar issues in many ways with so many players walking in recent years, amd freeman again this year. But you just have to cut your losses and maximise trade value. Even hawthorn will likely lose suckling and anderson this year...it is an issue competition wide.

I think the Lions should focus on players who want to play for them. Yes theyve lost players, but they also got beams, christensen and robinson want to come to them.

This year bell has nominated the lions, and they have 2 great academy kids they need points for.

If they create a team full of guys who want to be there, then it will improve morale. Go home factor is an issue for all clubs now and is something everyone is considering at the draft table.

I just can't help but feel the Brisbane decision is largely based on spite. Everyone has known all year Aish wanted out...and Lions dropped him many time throughout the year.

It seems they only took umbrage on it once it became clear he was coming to collingwood. I dont remember this stance when he was meeting with carlton. In fact, the dialogue was "we concede we are going to lose him". I think swann said something along those lines.

Anyway, i think the deal will get done...but we are going to have to be creative or offer slightly overs. We cant go criticising brisbane if our offer is not fair to them. They need to show they wont be pushovers.

They will come to the party and negotiate a deal.

It's pretty clear Aish is out the door.

Imagine how laughable it would be if we picked him up in the national draft for less than our offer?
The crazy thing is I can actually see it happening. It would almost be a best case scenario for us as it would allow us to use another pick in the early 20's of a KPF prospect like McKay.

The Brisbane 'stance' on Aish is the most ridiculous thing a struggling club could do.

Port at the end of 2003 and StKilda at the end of 2004, they didn't want to trade with us as it was seeing a premiership rival receive a big boost.

Brisbane isn't a finals chance let alone a premiership chance, not trading a player to a 12th placed side is idiotic.

The Lions are the club who forced out former captain Adcock who still wants to play.

The only message it sends is that the club is a mess, they show no loyalty to club veterans and are happy to sh1t on young players too.

What a club!

Brisbane's problems with retention began with the Fevola deal, when they shopped around two loyal clubmen against their will (Rischitelli and Bradshaw). Both ended up leaving. The real cost here wasn't even what they lost, but what it told the players about how the club thought about them. It showed that the Lions have no loyalty to their players, but see them as resources to be used. This hasn't been helped by people like Rocko and Leppo and Hanlo all acting like bullies (never mind cranky old Matthews). Trying to punish Aish for wanting out is more of the same, and will only hurt them in the long run, as it reinforces in the minds of their players (present and future) that the club doesn't consider their welfare.

It's a bit like the unexpected consequences that accompanied the "hire and fire" changes that companies adopted in the late twentieth century: if a company will let me go the moment it needs to save money, then why would I stay for unders (which people used to do back in the sixties and earlier, working their whole lives at one company)? You reap what you sow: in this case, you shaft your employees, you shouldn't be surprised when they shaft you back. Trying to up the ante by punishing them for that will only increase the problem.

It's why I'm glad we've supported Thomas and Keefe, even if they never play another game for us. It shows that we aren't just throwing players under the bus, and I believe it will pay off in future with players happy to take less money to support a club who they know looks after them.

Unlike Brisbane... :drunk:

You gotta wonder if both clubs are just doing what they did last year with both pr teams making the most out of this to keep both clubs brand name's in the paper for day's before sitting down and finalising the deal like when we traded Shaw for Adam's as well.

Can anyone answer a question for me?
In a worse case scenario can Aish outprice himself? In the ND or PSD? To go to Collingwood
Similar to Dangerfeilds plan b ie go to psd ask for 1.2m on a 1 year contract.

Can anyone answer a question for me?
In a worse case scenario can Aish outprice himself? In the ND or PSD? To go to Collingwood
Similar to Dangerfeilds plan b ie go to psd ask for 1.2m on a 1 year contract.
He can put any price he likes on his services
The problem is the Club selecting him has to pay it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back