Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I totally feel that Clarko erred in his approach to this job.

By that I mean he came in trying to replicate elements of his hawthorn time and it didn’t work. Sure if that’s the end goal to win a flag, no worries.

But it’s not the best approach to come in to a club on its knees and imply a game plan that

a- doesn’t suit our strengths
b- our players can’t execute

Case in point our defence. Remember the Brisbane game last year when they broke the record for marks inside 50? Mark after mark from key forwards that were by themselves.

Sure you could put that down to initial issues learning a new game plan, but it hasn’t got much better. I think back to the Geelong game earlier this year, seeing Corr guarding space as their young forward/ruck lead straight up the middle for an easy chest mark 25m out.

How much better have we looked the last 3 games with defenders actually manning a forward? Or having guys that can actually defend instead of sheez (who is ok at defending), fisher (ave defender), Colby (terrible defender), and Scott (ave defender). Now we have defenders that can defend and only 1 guy down back to drive the footy out.

We look like a football team.

I really think we will come home with a wet sail and get off the bottom now that we are putting out a team each week capable of doing the things needed to win.
Nah I don't think he was replicating what he did at the Hawks. I think he was getting a look at whether the defensive system from the Pies "trade up" defense would work with the group. They couldn't execute it.
He then went back to more 1 v 1 defensive system.
Same with offense, I suspect he's looking at the way the best teams move the ball and is taking bits of it.
Eventually the group and coaches will find what works for the group. But at the end of the day you can have the best system but you need to bring pressure to have a chance.

I don't really get why some people want to get rid of him already. Listening to that tells me, there's a bloke who knows what he's doing, can coach. He just hasn't really had the cattle to execute.
We sacked a lot of coaches in quick succession, once you’ve had a taste of the sack (hehe) you want to go back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko will be on Ch7's Talking Footy on Wednesday night.
First couple of questions they ask . Hey Big Al what about that dodgy free to Jy on the weekend and what do you think about Jeff Kennett ?Response 1718171853929.gif Just keep your cool , deep breathes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back