Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Subbing decision was a curious one. I assume he thought Phillips would run out of puff (or already had) and that Shiels could do a decent enough job tagging like he did last week in the 4th when he did his own fair share of winning us the game.

Well it worked last week as you say. And although I don't have access to rotation records, I would like to know if Phillips even went off in the third quarter and how much time Shiels spent on the pine in the third quarter because that would show that there was a premeditation in the strategic substitution to have Phillips run himself into the ground in that quarter.

Tell me, does it matter that you 100% believe something that can never be proven? Or what if you only 90% believed it? Would that make the hypothetical that can never happen less certain to never happen or more certain to never happen?
My belief clearly doesn’t matter. I’m not paid big $$$ to make substitute decisions.

It’s no coincidence when Phillips got subbed Daicos tore us apart. I’m sure the substitution played no part in our loss and the right decision was made. Hope you enjoyed the 4th quarter.

Clarko is a great coach. He's the right coach for us. Now that we're starting to see elements of his game plan, the future is bright.

Subbing Will Phillips off was an especially dumb move.

All of these things can be simultaneously true.

Just watched the replay. Phillips was cooked. Daicos got off the chain in the 3rd, had 8 touches and 2 goals.

Shiels did the job last, couldn't get it done this week.
This ^
I have a feeling Clarko is taking the heat for WilPhil.
He's a fan of the kid & they have a connection through his son.
It was a frenetic game & he hasn't had exposure to this tempo for a long time. He was gassed.

This ^
I have a feeling Clarko is taking the heat for WilPhil.
He's a fan of the kid & they have a connection through his son.
It was a frenetic game & he hasn't had exposure to this tempo for a long time. He was gassed.
If Clarko had kept WilPhil on and Naicos still went wild then everyone would be saying that Clarko should have subbed him off earlier...You cant please everyone. We should not have lost it from 54 points up so its no point saying it was Clarko or the bad umpiring decicions. It happened so its time to move on to the GoDees game.

Just watched the replay. Phillips was cooked. Daicos got off the chain in the 3rd, had 8 touches and 2 goals.

Maybe left him there too long if anything going by that. Will did a fine job in the first half, but those numbers don't scream that he's being "subdued" in the third.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Clarko seems to have lost a bit of fluency in his speech. Seems to be regularly searching for words, whether it's in his pressers, or when he is chatting to the players during the week. I don't recall him being like that at Hawthorn.
Prolly continually checking himself he dont say something people will construe as offensive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips had 7 and a goal in the 3rd (Fisher 8, Sheezle 7). He had just had a quarter time break.
We only needed 7-8 minutes from him to stop them getting an early run.

Last edited:

Just watched it too. Spot on.

Still reckon Phillips was better equipped though. Shiels is accustomed to big bodied mids not cats like Daicos.

Clarko seems to have lost a bit of fluency in his speech. Seems to be regularly searching for words, whether it's in his pressers, or when he is chatting to the players during the week. I don't recall him being like that at Hawthorn.

He had Guillain-Barre in 2014-15 I believe. His speech has been a bit different since that.

Could have had a bit to do with 20 odd mistakes some players made.
Yep that’s not ideal also. 20 odd mistakes might equate to coughing up 54 points. Look it’s pretty clear you can’t tolerate any criticism or questioning of Clarko’s coaching so let’s just agree to disagree. Typically coughing up a 9 goal lead would raise questions about the coach but just not in Clarko’s case.

Yep that’s not ideal also. 20 odd mistakes might equate to coughing up 54 points. Look it’s pretty clear you can’t tolerate any criticism or questioning of Clarko’s coaching so let’s just agree to disagree. Typically coughing up a 9 goal lead would raise questions about the coach but just not in Clarko’s case.
I questioned that decision during the game.

Looking at the ToG stats tho Phillips had 68%, against one of or the hardest running player in the game, in 75% game time or there abouts. He still spent more time on the field than Powell, Pink, Teakle or Ford and they played out the match.

So looking backit quite probable that Will was cooked and needed a rest. Maybe he didn't but its a reasonable assumption.

Looking at the ToG stats tho Phillips had 68%, against one of or the hardest running player in the game, in 75% game time or there abouts. He still spent more time on the field than Powell, Pink, Teakle or Ford and they played out the match.

So looking backit quite probable that Will was cooked and needed a rest. Maybe he didn't but its a reasonable assumption.
Check the WilPhil thread for GR’s inside info that says yes, he was cooked, which means Clarko is taking all the heat from fans and media to protect his player.

So looking backit quite probable that Will was cooked and needed a rest. Maybe he didn't but it’s a reasonable assumption.
The Phillips thing is one aspect. We coughed up a 9 goal lead in a quarter and a half. Structurally we did nothing to stem the flow. I am just raising the point most other coaches would cop heat for that. Actually not most. 100% of coaches and the wider coaching team would cop heat for that.

Clarko is a great coach. He's the right coach for us. Now that we're starting to see elements of his game plan, the future is bright.

Subbing Will Phillips off was an especially dumb move.

All of these things can be simultaneously true.
Incorrect re Will. He was cooked and was getting owned, if you rewatch you’d know this.

Also very disappointed with the North Pod who I usually love listening to. He went heavy on the “huge wrong call by Clarko” aspect early and turned me off the rest of the cast.

It’s mostly mental with our group and little to do with the list.

Whatever the coaches did they got them motivated to make a competitive effort out there and look how much better our players look!?

That’s all we ****ing need
As good as winning is, this year is a write-off. The effort and pressure is non-negotiable. I couldn’t really give a stuff at this stage about the score line.

However, if they bring the effort and pressure each week, we will win multiple games this year and we can start turning this titanic sized ship around and embrace a winning culture for the seasons to come.

Brown on the coach mentioned that before the WCE game clarko opened up on the challenges he has had over the past year. Said it was very emotional for himself and the players. Thinks this has been the turning point.

Yeah seemed like he had intel. Going by what he was saying, Clarko opened himself up to the group to get the players even more on board and that he done the same at Hawks. Looks like he has got the response too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back