Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I felt like he was coaching to win today.
Solid performance.

Begs the question, where has that effort been all season?
Clearly capable.

It’s only one game where I have seen the team play to win. We had the most tackles and our pressure gauge was through the roof. Regardless we did win against the worst team in the afl, WC missing their barometer in Reid etc and we still nearly lost (I don’t want to take anything away from the win though! 💙)

This is why I do not buy into the whole list is shit, we have some talent there it’s just about the our leaders, coaches, mental strength, winning culture, standards etc

We need to show that effort as a bare minimum as a base, then we can actually gauge how good our list is or could be with some experience added. Until we show that consistency we will never truly know 😃

I’m yet to watch the replay but I saw a couple highlights.
It’s obvious the impact Clarko believing in some our players is having.

Simpkin - that’s a true captain’s game by the looks. That’s clutch. And when your leader is in your corner to the extent that he’ll have a crack at the guy who concussed you, you want to play for him. He’s got your back.

And “big X” (as Clarko has called him from day 1). Having your coach back you as the man right from the get-go must give you the world of confidence. There’s no doubting his effort, exemplified by that Mark Porter-esque chase. That’s a man who believes in the plan, is playing for his coach, is repaying the faith.

Just two examples.
You have to wonder how far this can be taken - having their backs no matter what. The fiery Clarko is still there but if that manifests in the odd meltdown at decisions, at oppo dog acts, journos etc… And if it’s showing that he’ll put his neck on the line for his boys… That’s culture-building stuff.

Love your work big Al.

Clarko in the presser again stated we are sticking with the proper build and wont be tempted to panic and bring in a heap of older players.

That's the proper approach by someone who has seen it all.

Im laughing at those flogs who think we should bring in wines and parkers aka good players getting over the hill.

We are not throwing big bags of moneys at players who are not worth.

If we have to bring in senior experience, then it's going to be tucker shiel type who will do a job for a season or two until they get replaced by youngsters.

We will come across players who can add to our team but make no mistake, they are not the lead.

The only way to success is build core through drafting top youngsters.

Clarko to Jy: ‘Where the **** was that the past 18 months??!’

Clarko to LDU: ‘Please stay 🥺

No, i don't think clarkson would say that.

He wouldn't beg for anyone player as no one player can change the fortune of a team.

In order for the team to move forward, one has to let a few seemingly good players go to freshen up the team dynamics and to get in new players who could add to that dynamism.

No, i don't think clarkson would say that.

He wouldn't beg for anyone player as no one player can change the fortune of a team.

In order for the team to move forward, one has to let a few seemingly good players go to freshen up the team dynamics and to get in new players who could add to that dynamism.
Im a wet blanket on here the best of times. So I gotta ask. Is everything ok ChairmanZia? Winning makes us say some weird stuff, I get it

Im laughing at those flogs who think we should bring in wines and parkers aka good players getting over the hill.
Up until yesterday arvo. There was a gaping void of leadership. Most people were discussing bringing in leaders with winning mentality. Which I still believe we will need. One game, we need to see it backed up, week in week out. Im not on the wines train, I am on the luke parker train.

You would also Trade out LDU. Everyone laughs at that

Up until yesterday arvo. There was a gaping void of leadership. Most people were discussing bringing in leaders with winning mentality. Which I still believe we will need. One game, we need to see it backed up, week in week out. Im not on the wines train, I am on the luke parker train.

You would also Trade out LDU. Everyone laughs at that

Ummm aside from the obvious bs you just wrote, can you please show me where i said i want to trade him out?

Perhaps reading non selectively would be a good start.

It’s mostly mental with our group and little to do with the list.

Whatever the coaches did they got them motivated to make a competitive effort out there and look how much better our players look!?

That’s all we ****ing need
Veteran players are more likely to have the mental side of the game down pat. Our age/experience demographic is lopsided, not to mention that everyone who has been around the club for 4+ years has been beaten down by unending shitful seasons which just makes the mental side even harder. Mature recruits, particularly those with leadership skills, from other clubs would have gone a long way to balancing the equation.

Right decision, wrong decision, right vision for the build, wrong vision... idk. Those potential players would have cost picks and would be costing kids game time, so it's not like we can just say that our development (which is something, ultimately, better judged by hindsight in years to come) would be outright 100% better if we went down that path. Everything is about balancing (juggling) priorities.

I just really, really, hope this is a turning point. I doubt it's the type that could see us start winning more than we lose, but if it can be the type that sees us keep our heads up when we're actually still in the game, and having the grit to push harder regardless when we're not in the game, then I will be a supremely happy camper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s mostly mental with our group and little to do with the list.

Whatever the coaches did they got them motivated to make a competitive effort out there and look how much better our players look!?

That’s all we ****ing need
We brought pressure & tackles all around the ground . Especially in our own forward line not letting the ball easily leave .
It’s what I’ve been asking as a bare minimum. “You don’t have to be a top 8 side to bring this intensity every week”

I felt like he was coaching to win today.
Solid performance.

Begs the question, where has that effort been all season?
Clearly capable.

I totally feel that Clarko erred in his approach to this job.

By that I mean he came in trying to replicate elements of his hawthorn time and it didn’t work. Sure if that’s the end goal to win a flag, no worries.

But it’s not the best approach to come in to a club on its knees and imply a game plan that

a- doesn’t suit our strengths
b- our players can’t execute

Case in point our defence. Remember the Brisbane game last year when they broke the record for marks inside 50? Mark after mark from key forwards that were by themselves.

Sure you could put that down to initial issues learning a new game plan, but it hasn’t got much better. I think back to the Geelong game earlier this year, seeing Corr guarding space as their young forward/ruck lead straight up the middle for an easy chest mark 25m out.

How much better have we looked the last 3 games with defenders actually manning a forward? Or having guys that can actually defend instead of sheez (who is ok at defending), fisher (ave defender), Colby (terrible defender), and Scott (ave defender). Now we have defenders that can defend and only 1 guy down back to drive the footy out.

We look like a football team.

I really think we will come home with a wet sail and get off the bottom now that we are putting out a team each week capable of doing the things needed to win.

I totally feel that Clarko erred in his approach to this job.

By that I mean he came in trying to replicate elements of his hawthorn time and it didn’t work. Sure if that’s the end goal to win a flag, no worries.

But it’s not the best approach to come in to a club on its knees and imply a game plan that

a- doesn’t suit our strengths
b- our players can’t execute

Case in point our defence. Remember the Brisbane game last year when they broke the record for marks inside 50? Mark after mark from key forwards that were by themselves.

Sure you could put that down to initial issues learning a new game plan, but it hasn’t got much better. I think back to the Geelong game earlier this year, seeing Corr guarding space as their young forward/ruck lead straight up the middle for an easy chest mark 25m out.

How much better have we looked the last 3 games with defenders actually manning a forward? Or having guys that can actually defend instead of sheez (who is ok at defending), fisher (ave defender), Colby (terrible defender), and Scott (ave defender). Now we have defenders that can defend and only 1 guy down back to drive the footy out.

We look like a football team.

I really think we will come home with a wet sail and get off the bottom now that we are putting out a team each week capable of doing the things needed to win.

The club is on it's knees due to shit drafting and team development in the 2010s hence resulting in the massive purge of 2020 which has resulted in listless onfield performance.

Clarkson has taken the long approach through drafting and making the 2022 and beyond draftees as the core.

We brought pressure & tackles all around the ground . Especially in our own forward line not letting the ball easily leave .
It’s what I’ve been asking as a bare minimum. “You don’t have to be a top 8 side to bring this intensity every week”
I’m inclined to think it’s more about the guys starting to get used to playing together. We seemed to have more confidence in one another which resulted in us being prepared to attack the game more. There appears to be little tweaks in how Bailey and Tucker are being deployed/used. They’re doing their work under the radar more rather than making the plays. The way Comben attacked that ball late on and led a counterattack was great to watch. It signalled clearly that we weren’t going to lie down even though we’d fallen behind. That was all about confidence. Rick18 did a really good write-up about our lack of trust/confidence in one another earlier in the season.

The Office Applause GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back