Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The Phillips thing is one aspect. We coughed up a 9 goal lead in a quarter and a half. Structurally we did nothing to stem the flow. I am just raising the point most other coaches would cop heat for that. Actually not most. 100% of coaches and the wider coaching team would cop heat for that.
Did you see how both the Eagles and Collingwood came back against us?

Lloyd has a good analysis of it. So does Rick18 in his blog. Its basically speed, numbers and chancing your luck.

Its very hard to stop, all you can do is rely on ball winners to win the ball (and until wardlaw can play the first quarter like the last that will be difficult,) and once you do that it falls apart.

Both times we got back in control of the game once the opposition hit the lead tho, and were unlucky (or rorted) not to win on the weekend. Other than "win the stoppage" and "don't make any turnovers" there isn't really a strategy to stop it.

Both times we got back in control of the game once the opposition hit the lead tho, and were unlucky (or rorted) not to win on the weekend. Other than "win the stoppage" and "don't make any turnovers" there isn't really a strategy to stop it.
This is the one encouraging sign from the comeback run ons we've conceded against West Coast and Collingwood. We could have dropped both or we could have won both.

Yep that’s not ideal also. 20 odd mistakes might equate to coughing up 54 points. Look it’s pretty clear you can’t tolerate any criticism or questioning of Clarko’s coaching so let’s just agree to disagree. Typically coughing up a 9 goal lead would raise questions about the coach but just not in Clarko’s case.
I dont blindly say he is always correct as you say, but you cant have it both ways. The same bloke that was coaching when we led by 40 odd points was the same bloke that was in the box when we conceeded 40odd plus one point.

Watching the game strategically i dont beleive we went defensive and stayed bold. Was the phillips call the right one?

Juries out but i trust what he said when he stated it wasn't the only reason. You may be privy to more info to me however with your constant criticism. Iam happy for you to table the facts that lead to your opinion. Again mine are simply based on onservation.

Lloyd has a good analysis of it. So does Rick18 in his blog. Its basically speed, numbers and chancing your luck.

Its very hard to stop, all you can do is rely on ball winners to win the ball (and until wardlaw can play the first quarter like the last that will be difficult,) and once you do that it falls apart.

Yeah fair enough. Well we better get the best mids in the game then if we plan on winning in the future. effectively coaching can’t do anything to help in game. Brad Scott got criticised for no plan B unfairly. For 2 years we have played with 1 tall forward. Yesterday we had to persist with 3 despite being 54 points up. Maybe I am old school and don’t understand how dropping a spare back doesn’t help in the modern game.

Yeah fair enough. Well we better get the best mids in the game then if we plan on winning in the future. effectively coaching can’t do anything to help in game. Brad Scott got criticised for no plan B unfairly. For 2 years we have played with 1 tall forward. Yesterday we had to persist with 3 despite being 54 points up. Maybe I am old school and don’t understand how dropping a spare back doesn’t help in the modern game.

You could only minimise against turnovers

Hawks tried to defend a lead a few weeks age, same result.

You could only minimise against turnovers

Hawks tried to defend a lead a few weeks age, same result.
Like I said we just won’t agree on this. They didn’t kick 9 straight goals from centre clearances. In the history of the game only 7 other teams blew a bigger lead (over 2500 games I believe). And the coach can’t be criticised? Anyway I understand. if it’s good it’s Clarko. If it’s bad it’s the players. Its binary.

Clarko is a great coach. He's the right coach for us. Now that we're starting to see elements of his game plan, the future is bright.

Subbing Will Phillips off was an especially dumb move.

All of these things can be simultaneously true.
Jonathan Brown’s take on subbing Will off is absolutely spot on imo. Couldn’t agree with Brown more. He backed Clarko’s call and I agree. Good synopsis on ‘on the couch’.

Like I said we just won’t agree on this. They didn’t kick 9 straight goals from centre clearances. In the history of the game only 7 other teams blew a bigger lead (over 2500 games I believe). And the coach can’t be criticised? Anyway I understand. if it’s good it’s Clarko. If it’s bad it’s the players. Its binary.
Like i said, its your opinion that i believe carte blanch every thing the coach does is right.

Think i might have a better idea what i actually think however.

Prolly continually checking himself he dont say something people will construe as offensive

That’s exactly what it is, you can see it in his eye movements and deliberate pauses between words.

You would have to think not only in regards to the media but the eventual court case has got him triple guessing every word in public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah seemed like he had intel. Going by what he was saying, Clarko opened himself up to the group to get the players even more on board and that he done the same at Hawks. Looks like he has got the response too.
Our backline coach is a former team-mate of Browny, could well be the source. All alleged of course

Clarko is a great coach. He's the right coach for us. Now that we're starting to see elements of his game plan, the future is bright.

Subbing Will Phillips off was an especially dumb move.

All of these things can be simultaneously true.

Except the subbing Phillips off bit isn't - Will was cooked and according to giantroo initiated the sub himself for team reasons.

If I'm Clarko I'm wording up a player or two to feign or overplay an injury later in games when the oppo get a run on.

It was Duggan's concussion that allowed us to reset against West Coast. I reckon a similar break in momentum against Collingwood helps us steady and win too.

Its shithousery but the kind of thing that wins games. Needs a smart player to pull off.

Someone like Logue could manage it imo

Clarko seems to have lost a bit of fluency in his speech. Seems to be regularly searching for words, whether it's in his pressers, or when he is chatting to the players during the week. I don't recall him being like that at Hawthorn
If I'm Clarko I'm wording up a player or two to feign or overplay an injury later in games when the oppo get a run on.

It was Duggan's concussion that allowed us to reset against West Coast. I reckon a similar break in momentum against Collingwood helps us steady and win too.

Its shithousery but the kind of thing that wins games. Needs a smart player to pull off.

Someone like Logue could manage it imo
IMG_6740.gif

It's interesting to note that as soon as these teams take the lead with their roll the dice, speed and numbers, swarm mindset, they stop doing that.

It's also reasonable that our coaches haven't been coaching our team on how to defend a 9 goal lead over the first 11 weeks of the season given that we had more pressing concerns and could only dream about having a 9 goal lead.

Clarko’s back!!! He said post game that they had a discussion during the bye week.. They are going to play for the now and not so much for the future!!
You can see the improvement when we pick the best team and players, playing in best positions. Hopefully a few wins to enjoy on the run home

At the game my dad commented on this.
Said the Collingwood players were just playing with hope. Like hail Mary handballs and kicks but it was rushed hope. The media called it a frenzy of sorts but you could even see by that Bailey Scott should be free, it was just running around like ****ing idiots to continue momentum and put the opp in a frantic pressured state. I mean it worked, maybe for wc too, but it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of thought to it

Said the Collingwood players were just playing with hope. Like hail Mary handballs and kicks but it was rushed hope. The media called it a frenzy of sorts but you could even see by that Bailey Scott should be free, it was just running around like ****ing idiots to continue momentum and put the opp in a frantic pressured state. I mean it worked, maybe for wc too, but it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of thought to it
the frenzied footy coming back the other way does build pressure, and you could see our mistakes began to compound under the higher pressure, dont have to mention then all as they are all pretty well documented throughout the postings from the weekend.

its sort of like a positive feedback loop, the more mistakes you make and turn it back over the again increases applied pressure, wash rinse repeat,

as the list quality increases ( cant carry 6 or 8 players that are prone to continuously making the same errors) and some of the younger players mature obviously the skill ceiling and confidence does as well and will remove a lot of the errors that set us up to fail.

I don't think its just luck tho. They set up to play the percentages and back their teammates (and luck to an extent,) by putting themselves in the best position to take advantage of them winning those 50/50s. It doesn't always work but when it does they build momentum and the other side becomes reactive and thinks about the way Collingwood always does this, instead of just playing the same game they were to get that lead in the first place.

There are always players in front of the contest in space at about 30-45 deg off the line to goal waiting for the ball and other players running flat out to provide the same set up for those guys in space. They save it for late in the game cos it is energy sapping, even with their levels of maturity and fitness. They also know the crowd noise will left them.

West Coast put their pace in the middle - Ryan and Petrucelle - and backed it to work but it wasn't as organised or well planned as Collingwood.

There are always players in front of the contest in space at about 30-45 deg off the line to goal waiting for the ball and other players running flat out to provide the same set up for those guys in space. They save it for late in the game cos it is energy sapping, even with their levels of maturity and fitness. They also know the crowd noise will left them.
Sorry to quote myself...

With this they specifically try to have two players in that position ahead of the ball and just inside 45 deg off the line to goal. One each side. It doesn't work every single time but it does work often enough that they're able to rely on it.

Any links to the Lloyd analysis ferbs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back