Alberton Footy League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
either way i guess they should of done better this year. especially with the players they have. alot of talent in there, not sure why the wheels fell off but they did.

Watch the game on saty and Stoney Creek midfielders were just to hard and classy for them. Burra challenged but it was answered everytime and full credit to Stoney they played really well and have got some big forward targets which could threated Wonnie. With Temp been 21o at Foster on Saty this could suit Stony but will be a cracker but you would still have to go with Wonnie

Tips for the weekend in all grades

Seniors: WONTHAGGI POWER vs STONY CREEK (2.30pm)

I am tipping Stony to run with Wonnie for a while but you just cannot go past Wonthaggi. They have played really well in the second half of the year but will be tested with the Stoney Creek tall forwards on a nice day at Foster. But Wonthaggi to win by 27 pts

Reserves: INVERLOCH-KONGWAK vs KORUMBURRA-BENA (12.30pm)

This should be good game of footy with Inverloch defeating Korrumburra twice this year with the last result been only 7 pts at the burra. Inverloch with only 1 loss for year and have played an excellent semi final against wonnie winning by 6 goals. So the should be too fresh and stong. Inverloch by 22 pts

Thirds: KORUMBURRA-BENA vs PHILLIP ISLAND (10.30am)

Korrumburra have been outstanding this year and have a fantastic junior base. They are undefeated this year and will be tough for the Island to win this encounter. But in saying that the Island have a bit of senior experence in there team and only lost by 3 goals in the semi final. I am tipping the Burra in an entertaining game by 14 pts

Fourths: KILCUNDA-BASS vs KORUMBURRA-BENA (9.00am)

the Killy bass kids have been fantastic and undefeated this year with a massive percentage. They will win this Granny easly and i wish them all the best
Kilcunda by 36pts

I think stamp that a few of their recruits from the past two years aren't quite into the whole team thing. The old saying, a champion team is better than a team of champions. They definately have some great players new and old but are they all mates? how well do they know each other? will they play for their teammates? I doubt it, most love their footy but are only there on a promise of a good $. How many of their players have been at Nyora over the past 5 years under Alger on coin? He's just trying to move his old side around. Problem being most are either past it or too interested in an "expensive social habit". The core of his old side would never sell themselves out to what he's buying into at Burra.

All those Nyora guys can play footy but are Nyora ppl so probably arent playing for a team at burra like they did for us. They are on far more coin at burra than at nyora i would think.

Stony Creek beat Wonni in the Granny by 14 points... well done to the Ponys. Hard to justify kicking Power out of the league when they didnt win (Reserves lost the Prelim, U18s and U14s didnt make the prelim)???
Clearly too strong??? Doesnt make sense on this year's showing - yes they will always be near the top, but they aren't unbeatable...other teams are simply weak or whingers, or both.
(Netball won though - kick them biatches out!)

Agree, since 95 when Churchill moved to North Gippsland, them or Hefield has been in every Grand Final bar 2, no one is wanting to kick those teams out of the league.

When are people going to wake up and understand Wonthaggi aren't getting kicked out for being too good? Get over yourselves! One flag in three seasons doesn't justify being too good. They are being kicked out because of the resources they have availaible! The people who need to look at themselves are the committee. They have the resources of 8000-odd people and much commercial backing yet can't get a side together to win a flag! They just don't want to work hard enough to be a success in a big league, they're just happy going around pushing smaller, less resourced towns around. As for the excuse they don't travel, why do they travel to Yarram, Woodside and Toora? Cos it's not Morwell, Moe or Traralgon. Yet last season they ridiculed Yarram for not turning up when they use the same excuse of travelling as an excuse for not changing leagues! As for the players, What kind of ego's do they have? It's like playing and winning in the reserves and not stepping up to the seniors cos you might get beat and trust me, from what I've seen over the past few seasons, you will! You'll get flogged! Face up to it Wonthaggi......You're out cos you're too big, NOT too good! Your results over the past three seasons prove it so don't claim that! Get over yourselves you downhill skiers and choke on de-sal :p GO STONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

When are people going to wake up and understand Wonthaggi aren't getting kicked out for being too good? Get over yourselves! One flag in three seasons doesn't justify being too good. They are being kicked out because of the resources they have availaible! The people who need to look at themselves are the committee. They have the resources of 8000-odd people and much commercial backing yet can't get a side together to win a flag! They just don't want to work hard enough to be a success in a big league, they're just happy going around pushing smaller, less resourced towns around. As for the excuse they don't travel, why do they travel to Yarram, Woodside and Toora? Cos it's not Morwell, Moe or Traralgon. Yet last season they ridiculed Yarram for not turning up when they use the same excuse of travelling as an excuse for not changing leagues! As for the players, What kind of ego's do they have? It's like playing and winning in the reserves and not stepping up to the seniors cos you might get beat and trust me, from what I've seen over the past few seasons, you will! You'll get flogged! Face up to it Wonthaggi......You're out cos you're too big, NOT too good! Your results over the past three seasons prove it so don't claim that! Get over yourselves you downhill skiers and choke on de-sal :p GO STONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Well said Boogie Man!

Surely people can't still be under the illusion that the Power are being booted because of their success after the events on the weekend. They just got beaten in a Granny by a side whose suburb only has a population of about 40, but has 1 thing that Wonthaggi clearly lack....heart and a desire to achieve as much as they possibly can.

Stop ducking the big boys Wonthaggi!

Now onto Stony, a fantastic effort and seriously well deserved. 2 of my best mates play down there and travel 90 minutes a week to training and games so they deserve every bit of success they get. They are REAL footballers who truly commit to a club and get involved in every facet of life at the footy club.

Well done to all the Stony players, but from a personal level, especially to the Moose and the Chuch man.

Sorry Boogie, I didnt realise an expert like yourself would weigh into the debate. You are kidding yourself if you think Wonnys size is the cause of the dispute, you wouldnt hear any rumblings if they were a big town with a crap footy team!

For what its worth however, I agree with you in that Wonthaggi should test themselves against stronger opposition.

The stumbling block is that Sale and Maffra are 2 hours drive away and the experiences of Wonthaggi Blues in the ten years previous to the formation of Power suggests that they simply couldnt attract enough junior players. This is unhealthy for a footy club and is a path that Power wish to avoid at all costs...

Got to watch highlights of the Granny last night. I was unable to go due to going to the G to watch my beloved Pies.

Looked like an impressive performance by the Stony boys who appeared to be harder at it where it counted and applied great pressure (a recurrent theme in all of their finals victories). Who was named BOG? From what i saw it appeared that Lucas dominated up forward for Stony and plucked just about everything that went near him.

The video also showed some ugly incidents where the Wonthaggi players were clearly sniping some players from Stony Creek, a few wild elbows thrown and each of them was clearly intentional.

To the bloke that hit Leigh Andrews, you're a dog who clearly couldn't match him talent wise so had to resort to a dirty hit to stop him. I'm sure Leroy's premiership medallion is making him feel a whole lot better. You can wallow in your self pity in the realistion that:
a)you're a sniping dog
b)you're a hack who has to resort to sniping as a means of staying competitive with the competitions better players
c)you're a member of a footy club who was desperate to make a statement and failed miserably

Enjoy your new league you sniping bunch of pretenders. By the way heres some advice, when forming a new club if you decide to base your jumper design on an AFL club, don't select the club that has teal in their colours. Wearing teal jumpers makes your players look remarkably homosexual.

........The stumbling block is that Sale and Maffra are 2 hours drive away and the experiences of Wonthaggi Blues in the ten years previous to the formation of Power suggests that they simply couldnt attract enough junior players. This is unhealthy for a footy club and is a path that Power wish to avoid at all costs...

Sale and Maffra have no problems about making such trips. It boils down to the mindset of the club - if you want to play in the best competition and give your juniors the greatest opportunity to play quality football you just do what you have to do.

I remember when Wonthaggi first went to west gippy (their idea) there was no complaints about travel untill they failed to win a flag then the excuses came out no jnr's to far to travel so they merg with rovers drop 2 divisions win cheap flags they want the easy way.
Then say every other club should in alberton should lift there game easy to say when you have the support of a town 8000+ pop have at least 60 boundary signs at $500 ea can at a fundraiser auction new cars,motorbikes,plasma tv etc some melbourne clubs would like to have that support.
oh I forgot a council keep football ground I have to admit they are doing it tough.

Lets just move on from Wonthaggi, they are gone now there is a new footy season starting in 2010 without them. Korrumburra will be the next target i suppose now just get over it and move on. I am not for or against Wonthaggi but just sick of hearing it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to watch highlights of the Granny last night. I was unable to go due to going to the G to watch my beloved Pies.

Looked like an impressive performance by the Stony boys who appeared to be harder at it where it counted and applied great pressure (a recurrent theme in all of their finals victories). Who was named BOG? From what i saw it appeared that Lucas dominated up forward for Stony and plucked just about everything that went near him.

The video also showed some ugly incidents where the Wonthaggi players were clearly sniping some players from Stony Creek, a few wild elbows thrown and each of them was clearly intentional.

To the bloke that hit Leigh Andrews, you're a dog who clearly couldn't match him talent wise so had to resort to a dirty hit to stop him. I'm sure Leroy's premiership medallion is making him feel a whole lot better. You can wallow in your self pity in the realistion that:
a)you're a sniping dog
b)you're a hack who has to resort to sniping as a means of staying competitive with the competitions better players
c)you're a member of a footy club who was desperate to make a statement and failed miserably

Enjoy your new league you sniping bunch of pretenders. By the way heres some advice, when forming a new club if you decide to base your jumper design on an AFL club, don't select the club that has teal in their colours. Wearing teal jumpers makes your players look remarkably homosexual.
Where can l get the video ?

Just watched the video, cant stand people who throw elbows and snipe in footy, it is the ultimate weak act. Sorenson elbow was the worst, cant believe how many dirty incidents there was.

Wonthaggi will go nowhere in Gippsland Latrobe.

Just watched the video, cant stand people who throw elbows and snipe in footy, it is the ultimate weak act. Sorenson elbow was the worst, cant believe how many dirty incidents there was.

Wonthaggi will go nowhere in Gippsland Latrobe.

Well if they keep there side together and start paying 5 or 6 because they have plenty of money they will go alright. People got to remember West Gippy Latrobe not a super league say compare to Goulburn Valley, Ovens Murray I actually reckon it is weaker than the Murray League or Mid Murray

As far as the Wonny juniors issue goes: When the merge happened 5 years ago, Wonthaggi Blues had five U-18 players to contribute, Rovers had 25 or so. Power are desperate to ensure this drop-off in numbers doesnt occur again.

Power will go quite well in West Gippy/ Latrobe next year, they have the basis of a good young side, but they need to recruit some good players in key positions. Junior sides will most likely get smashed...

I remember when Wonthaggi first went to west gippy (their idea) there was no complaints about travel untill they failed to win a flag then the excuses came out no jnr's to far to travel so they merg with rovers drop 2 divisions win cheap flags they want the easy way.
Then say every other club should in alberton should lift there game easy to say when you have the support of a town 8000+ pop have at least 60 boundary signs at $500 ea can at a fundraiser auction new cars,motorbikes,plasma tv etc some melbourne clubs would like to have that support.
oh I forgot a council keep football ground I have to admit they are doing it tough.
I've yet to have anyone actually tell me how all this money and sponsorship actually gives Power a significant advantage on the ground. They dont spend money on recruiting players, i would agree with you if they did, how does money help? Its not like they have a pre-season trip to Arizona for altitude training, or a hyperbaric chamber, or the like!

What they do have is a lot of good players, an excellent junior program, and a hard-working commitee and supporters

Well if they keep there side together and start paying 5 or 6 because they have plenty of money they will go alright. People got to remember West Gippy Latrobe not a super league say compare to Goulburn Valley, Ovens Murray I actually reckon it is weaker than the Murray League or Mid Murray

Is Toc and Barooga murray league?? I watched them play 2nd semi a few weeks back, both handy sides but no where near the West Gippy league. My mate who plays for barooga said the same, its a different style of footy buy he thinks about the same as EDFL.

Woni will do well, they have got cash to spend so they will be ok. There juniors would do OK too if they kept everyone they had at the moment. Juniors ladders almost always compare to town populations in most leagues so they should be fine.

Is Toc and Barooga murray league?? I watched them play 2nd semi a few weeks back, both handy sides but no where near the West Gippy league. My mate who plays for barooga said the same, its a different style of footy buy he thinks about the same as EDFL.

Woni will do well, they have got cash to spend so they will be ok. There juniors would do OK too if they kept everyone they had at the moment. Juniors ladders almost always compare to town populations in most leagues so they should be fine.

How did your "mate" go at Barooga this year?

He went OK, played FB the first few games then rucked most of the season after that. Told me he would never sook about playing ruck again after playing FB. Also said the quality of ruckman wasnt high and big dry grounds suited his play. He is staying another year then will come back to nyora.

They got smashed in 2nd semi by about 10 goals, lost the prelim by 5 points after their bloke kicked a goal on the siren but goal umpire called a point. Apparently he was the only person in the ground that thought it missed.

I've yet to have anyone actually tell me how all this money and sponsorship actually gives Power a significant advantage on the ground. They dont spend money on recruiting players, i would agree with you if they did, how does money help? Its not like they have a pre-season trip to Arizona for altitude training, or a hyperbaric chamber, or the like!

What they do have is a lot of good players, an excellent junior program, and a hard-working commitee and supporters

AM not privvy to the inner goings on at Wonthaggi, but i know of several decent players in the EFL they have waived the cheque book at over the last couple of years (ridiculous amounts were offered). Have had no trouble spending it in the past and would think they have rained in the spending over the last couple of years in an attempt to remain in the Alberton League. Have no doubt if their position was not in question that they would have remained untouchable due to the resources available to them.

i agree that it is not as good as o and m and gv leagues, ten yrs ago it was every bit as good but has obviously dropped off since then. but it is still very good footy and a massive step up from alberton and for this reason wonthaggi will struggle at least for there first yr until they get used to the pace step up and recruit a team that will compete with other big towns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back