Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how hard it is to get into the nba, you'd suggest he'll end up at the pies sooner rather than later.
Hopefully unless he tries to play in a Non-NBA League and try to get in that way or the D-League

It would be a nice problem to have, but if we ended up with all of Condon, Smit and Steene at the club next year, just fitting them all in for a game each week might be tricky!
Can use them as KPF

… the club and his management will sit down in a couple months as he reaches the 3 years non registered and work how what a cat B contract for 2025 onwards may look like for Alex.

+ get some clarity about his role and expectations of his development.

I’d imagine it’d be helpful to provide context with us right now having Smit, Begg and Steene on our list. In a round 3 or 4 months things might look a little different.

Alex's manager was on Gettable this week, and mentioned that while he is currently in Japan doing some things with the boomers, and still trying for NBA - As hard as that may be, the club and his management will sit down in a couple months as he reaches the 3 years non registered and work how what a cat B contract for 2025 onwards may look like for Alex.

He talked about the process of talking to clubs before nominating the pies and how Fly's history of a development coach and what he did with Coxy to get him to where he is today definitely helped.

This might just be me hoping but that sounds positive…. Or is this an annual thing where we need to have him on a cat B contract to keep him tied to us?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This might just be me hoping but that sounds positive…. Or is this an annual thing where we need to have him on a cat B contract to keep him tied to us?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm not even sure. Like, why do we need to put him to a contract as he becomes eligible, and not wait until he finishes college?

… the club and his management will sit down in a couple months as he reaches the 3 years non registered and work how what a cat B contract for 2025 onwards may look like for Alex.
I think it might look like a flag in 2025, then another flag…

I'm not even sure. Like, why do we need to put him to a contract as he becomes eligible, and not wait until he finishes college?
I noted the quote from his manager - “He talked about the process of talking to clubs before nominating the pies …”.

We probably had to be a step ahead of any opposition offers.

I noted the quote from his manager - “He talked about the process of talking to clubs before nominating the pies …”.

We probably had to be a step ahead of any opposition offers.
Good point, that while in good faith, nominated the pies unofficially, but if we left it too long after being eligible, other clubs could get in his ear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, so who is this dude and can he play football. A basketballer who hasn't played football for who knows how long, doesn't fill me with confidence. I'd rather take Farrant
"Condon featured for Western Australia at the under-18 championships in mid-2021 and played for Claremont in the WAFL. He had been projected as a potential early first-round pick at last year's draft given his size and athleticism before deciding on basketball."

My question would be how does signing a Cat B contract not automatically destroy his amateur status and thus end his college basketball career?
Yeah, I'm not even sure how that works. Like how can you sign for a professional league in one country while playing for another sport in another country.

Does there have to be an actual salary involved?
Under the CBA? Yes, Cat B rookies have a minimum salary. Without consideration, ie. payment, a binding contract isn't created.

There might be a way around it - the AFL can decide anything it wants - but as the current rules stand, I don't see how it works

Yeah, I'm not even sure how that works. Like how can you sign for a professional league in one country while playing for another sport in another country.
It's possible - you hear stories about soccer clubs signing up little kids well before they can play? But the thing is his ability to play college ball is destroyed by a paying playing contract.

Ok, so who is this dude and can he play football. A basketballer who hasn't played football for who knows how long, doesn't fill me with confidence. I'd rather take Farrant
I have noticed you seem rather keen on Farrant! We can sign Condon as a Cat B Rookie (we still have one Cat B spot available), while with your boy we don't have that luxury. To have Farrant on our books he needs to take up a primary list or (more likely) Cat A rookie list spot, but putting Condon on our list officially would have no impact on our ability to find a place for Farrant.

I have noticed you seem rather keen on Farrant! We can sign Condon as a Cat B Rookie (we still have one Cat B spot available), while with your boy we don't have that luxury. To have Farrant on our books he needs to take up a primary list or (more likely) Cat A rookie list spot, but putting Condon on our list officially would have no impact on our ability to find a place for Farrant.
Let's take them both then. I don't do the Cat A and B very well. I'm more a talent guy and I just worry about a bloke who hasn't really played much football in the last 3 years, whereas I can see someone like Farrant reaching untapped talent quite quickly in an AFL environment

Is he actually tied to us? Unless he's contracted wouldn't he be able to just say sorry I've changed my mind and would prefer to go to a WA club?

Is he actually tied to us? Unless he's contracted wouldn't he be able to just say sorry I've changed my mind and would prefer to go to a WA club?
Surely he must have signed something to say that he would play with us if basketball didn't work out (and that he'd join us as a Cat B Rookie), otherwise it wouldn't have been such a big story that we had beaten other clubs to secure him? So I take that as meaning he is tied to us, though just not yet officially on our list!

Last edited:
Surely he must have signed something to say that he would play with us if basketball didn't work out (and that he'd join us as a Cat B Rookie), otherwise it wouldn't have been such a big story that we had beaten other clubs to secure him? So I take that as meaning he is tied to us, though just not yet officially on our list!

Sounds like he signed the equivalent of a letter of comfort. Which means f all. Just said we might go steady at some later date.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back