Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's take them both then. I don't do the Cat A and B very well. I'm more a talent guy and I just worry about a bloke who hasn't really played much football in the last 3 years, whereas I can see someone like Farrant reaching untapped talent quite quickly in an AFL environment

Out of curiosity did you feel the same way about Parker when we listed him?

I get your point but he was a projected 1st round draft pick and 212cm. Played under 18 carnival middle of 2021. They are the types you take a punt on with the Cat B list.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm not even sure. Like, why do we need to put him to a contract as he becomes eligible, and not wait until he finishes college?
Don’t think so unless sign at another Club

Out of curiosity did you feel the same way about Parker when we listed him?

I get your point but he was a projected 1st round draft pick and 212cm. Played under 18 carnival middle of 2021. They are the types you take a punt on with the Cat B list.

I probably have more confidence in a smaller player making it than someone who is so tall. I already knew Parker was a talent but had not heard about Condon. If Condon can mark strongly, then he's already half way there. I'm happy which ever way we go because I just don't know anything about Condon. You have to also take into consideration that a player so tall would have no opposition in the ruck at under 18 level

My question would be how does signing a Cat B contract not automatically destroy his amateur status and thus end his college basketball career?

Huge lawsuit in NCAA was recently settled re paying athletes. Its a hot topic and payment structure to be worked out. However, outcome is Condon shouldnt be sanctioned for signing with the Pies. The amateur status is about to be out the door.

Ok, so who is this dude and can he play football. A basketballer who hasn't played football for who knows how long, doesn't fill me with confidence. I'd rather take Farrant
Farrant is 25-26 and not done really anything in footy other than show talent take a couple of speccies and we cant get him as a cat B rookie. Need to draft him or get him as a SSP.
Condon's height and his athleticism watching him play Basketball makes him project as a genuine Key forward prospect and at worst a super dynamic ruck who would be rated ahead of Smit and Steene.
And the beauty of it he is FREE.

To be in a position where you could have 2 1st rd draft talents as extras on your list is bonus we need to rebuild while competing to win.

Sounds like both sides just want an understanding of where each other sit next year.

I’d be staggered if he came back next year. Surely if NBA is the dream, you go again next year at least?!?

Pies may have eyes on another cat B for next year and need to know what Alex is thinking before exploring that option.

Depending on when seasons finish, Alex may want to reserve the right to join cat B immediately once year 2 finishes….

Plenty of options/reasons for those comments.

From what his manager said, discussions will be had soon as to what Cat B looks like. Then likely he'll be signed for next year (surprised he'd give that level of confidence).

Interesting to see whether he can sign while playing college ball. It sounds that way, otherwise his manager was out of line suggesting he'd probably be signing.

If he's waiting on second year performance, the college year ends early (March), so could assess from then and decide, whether that means giving up on college or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I probably have more confidence in a smaller player making it than someone who is so tall. I already knew Parker was a talent but had not heard about Condon. If Condon can mark strongly, then he's already half way there. I'm happy which ever way we go because I just don't know anything about Condon. You have to also take into consideration that a player so tall would have no opposition in the ruck at under 18 level

Judging by his basketball - Huge. Moves well. Very coordinated. Understands system. Plus was a good junior footballer. He'd be a very promising signing. Plus Dekka would be absolutely preening - he loves his converts from other sports and considers Lachie Keeffe playing 100 games one of his favourite pieces of recruiting

Judging by his basketball - Huge. Moves well. Very coordinated. Understands system. Plus was a good junior footballer. He'd be a very promising signing. Plus Dekka would be absolutely preening - he loves his converts from other sports and considers Lachie Keeffe playing 100 games one of his favourite pieces of recruiting
If he can mark well, he'll do

This was the U17 champs in 2021.

#40 Alex Condon (Claremont)

The highly touted tall prospect will have a tough decision to make within the next 12 months, representing WA at Under 18’s Basketball and winning a gold medal earlier in the year. Much like Luke Jackson before him, Condon will have options in both sports, and football fans will be hoping he chooses the Australian code. Condon was untouchable in the ruck throughout the game, using his reach, athleticism and body work to keep his opponents away from the ball. Condon’s leap is the most impressive part of his athletic profile, easily getting above his opponent and putting his knee in their chest, tapping the ball well every time to his teammates advantage, or putting it straight onto their chest. Condon did well to have an impact aerially through the game as well, taking a few marks overhead or intercept handballs to stop the SA side moving the ball easily.

#40 Alex Condon (Claremont) 201cm/78kg | 25/07/2004 | Ruck

The talented ruckman from Claremont who is also a talented basketballer, Condon showcased his great leap and deft touch in the ruck in a great contest with highly regarded SA ruckman, Will Verrall. Condon’s clear athletic traits were on display, showing that leap not only in ruck contests, but also around the ground as he flew for a nice mark to prove he could be a handy forward prospect as well. Condon has plenty of upside and with those athletic traits and with 12 disposals and 23 hitouts, he has shown to be one of the leading ruck prospects for the 2022 draft.

He grew 11 cms since 2021.

Same college as Condon, could they compete for the same spot next season?

Came here to post something similar. It’ll be tough for Alex to compete for a spot against an absolute freak of nature like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back