Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

There's only 15 spots on a teams roster. They're drafting the rights to these guys rather than adding them to the list like what happens in the AFL. Lots of second round picks never actually get on a list. The first round gets an NBA contract. The second round has to negotiate. A few will be added to the roster. Others will be half added - contracted to switch between NBA and the level below and some will stay where they're playing and unless they improve never make a roster.
Wow.
yeah, okay I don't know much about basketball or NBA, but geez this is rough; which makes you realise how hard it would be to make the NBA. You gotta be exceptional to get a guaranteed contract.

Makes you think the odds of Condon getting one would be quite low.

Wow.
yeah, okay I don't know much about basketball or NBA, but geez this is rough; which makes you realise how hard it would be to make the NBA. You gotta be exceptional to get a guaranteed contract.

Makes you think the odds of Condon getting one would be quite low.
It's a massive global sport and there's only 450 guys at a time on NBA rosters - there's about 800 players on AFL lists.

I'll put it this way - if you're as good at basketball as Steele Sidebottom has been at footy, you're not in the NBA.

It's a massive global sport and there's only 450 guys at a time on NBA rosters - there's about 800 players on AFL lists.

I'll put it this way - if you're as good at basketball as Steele Sidebottom has been at footy, you're not in the NBA.
Yeah, real tough competition - especially when they also draft from overseas, and not just from the US. Which makes getting a spot a bit more harder.

Whats the general ages these blokes get drafted, is it under 20 under 21? How many players would get drafted in their final year of college, say age 22-23?

Yes true that the nba is ridiculous about the talent missing but sidebottom has been AA and dominated a tac gf. The equivalent is making the nba

You’re suggesting Sidebottom hasn’t been in the top 60% of the AFL?

Yeah, real tough competition - especially when they also draft from overseas, and not just from the US. Which makes getting a spot a bit more harder.

Whats the general ages these blokes get drafted, is it under 20 under 21? How many players would get drafted in their final year of college, say age 22-23?

They can be drafted at 19, which is becoming more of a trend for the best and brightest. Some finish college before nominating - so about 22. 19-22 would be the standard range with a few older guys picked up.

Roughly 60-65 players get drafted to the NBA each season with literally millions of players to choose from when you consider that players can come from Canada, European Countries, Asian Countries etc as well as Australia.

Yes true that the nba is ridiculous about the talent missing but sidebottom has been AA and dominated a tac gf. The equivalent is making the nba

There's 6 blokes in our team who've been AA - about 100 currently in the AFL. There's only 450 list spots in the NBA - selected from the entire world. Dominating a tac cup grand final got him selected 11 in our draft - what number does that equate to if we had as many players as basketball does.

You’re suggesting Sidebottom hasn’t been in the top 60% of the AFL?

More kids play basketball than Aussie Rules in Australia. There's currently 10 Aussies in the NBA, which is an extremely high number for us - in the long run we'll average less than that from a bigger pool of players than footy is selected from.

So Johnny being tipped as being drafted in the first round was a real furphy.
They talked about this on SEN. Something happened, like either, he was given real bad advice, or some told him we'll pick you if this or this person wasnt on the board, and obviously some players were but that come 2nd round they would give him a contract. So he'd be real disappointed, given he was invited to the draft with the assumption it was gonna be first round.

Nba teams can draft players but then “loan” them back to teams. Luke travers was deafted to cleveland with the last pick of the draft a few years ago but stayed in perth for a year. He never even made it to cleveland as he was cut a year later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The team can "stash" them, ie. leave them overseas once drafted. On the player side though, the team can then not sign the player until he agrees to a contract.

There are a number of European players that were drafted and, by their own choice, did not come to the NBA or left it till later (recent example Micic at OKC). Pretty good money in Europe and if they are starring (Micic was MVP), they could prefer it to being a role/bench player in the NBA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's 6 blokes in our team who've been AA - about 100 currently in the AFL. There's only 450 list spots in the NBA - selected from the entire world. Dominating a tac cup grand final got him selected 11 in our draft - what number does that equate to if we had as many players as basketball does.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Furphy got drafted pick 5 of the second round to the Spurs.
In this draft there is very little actual difference between picks 25-40 me.

Traded to the Pacers, which is a good fit with his shooting

If you’re drafted in the 2nd round do you become a paid player or do they just have rights to you?
They draft the rights to you, then some are contracted and put on a roster - others aren't. It's a good sign that he's been traded, as they've just paid a heap of cash to have the rights to him.

In this draft there is very little actual difference between picks 25-40 me.

Traded to the Pacers, which is a good fit with his shooting
That seems generous as well. I’m a Rockets man and didn’t really think there was much we could do with our pick. Don’t get me wrong Sheppard projects well, but with Green and Thompson already on the roster we’ve probably drafted a bench player at 3…

On Condon I don’t think he makes it at the top level considering he’ll now be battling it out for the 5 spot with Rioux at the Gators. Considering the way the games going with the marginalisation of the 5 he needs to be a special shooter from here.

sr36 agree with your Steele take. For context he’d be the equivalent of Gazey, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back