All Australian Midfields 1991-2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Going on single seasons, this is how I'd have it.

C. Judd (2004) G. Williams (1993) P. Matera (1994)
J. Stynes (1991) A Koutafides (2000) R. Harvey (1998)

I don't think you'll find collection of single seasons better then this lot.

I would say you are about spot on tin can sam...
Robert Harvey's 1998 was unbelievable, people forget just how much of a freak he was, he had the skill, the grunt, the endurance and even the speed...
Looking over some of his career highlights I was amazed to see hoq quick he could run, not a lot between him and Judd...

Going on single seasons, this is how I'd have it.

C. Judd (2004) G. Williams (1993) P. Matera (1994)
J. Stynes (1991) A Koutafides (2000) R. Harvey (1998)

I don't think you'll find collection of single seasons better then this lot.

Im afraid you would have to find room for one P. Kelly (Syd), he would be ahead of Matera and Kouta and even Harvey...

Man on Man the best ever midfielder to play the game, he was simply unbeatable one on one, again if he were at a Victorian Club he would be King.

Im afraid you would have to find room for one P. Kelly (Syd), he would be ahead of Matera and Kouta and even Harvey...

Man on Man the best ever midfielder to play the game, he was simply unbeatable one on one, again if he were at a Victorian Club he would be King.

I wanted Kelly in, but the only person he can replace is Williams, and his 96, wasn't as good as Williams 93. I named them in the position they made the AA team in, and I nearly had Harvey in twice.

C: S Goodwin...S West...A Goodes
Foll: B Lade, C Judd, B Cousins

4x brownlow
multiple aa's and mvps.

That's brilliant, goodes as a second ruck as well or going forward, cousins balanced, west and judd in and under, lade perfect taps.

Think u'll find Harvey is an 8 time AA.

And u cant compare Cousins to him anyway...to me he's not in the same league but not only that they are totally different styles and background. Half the weagle fans in here used to think of Cosuins as more of a flanker or outside midfielder...different skillset and has played very similar roles and style to Akermanis. Good bloke to compare Cousins with.

Dont worry...Cousins has never been short of recognition as a great player...no point OVERrating him tho.
Cousins is the class of voss, hird and the like. He is a balanced midfielder. I recall a draftee saying this year he saw himself as a cousins type player because he could play outside or inside with skill. Cousins is one of the best of this generation and when he plays again you'll see. When he's got things to prove he plays even better, he has leadership, talent and the best work ethic of my recollection.

All comments welcome re these...got a favorite ? How would you rate/rank them ?

C: C Mainwaring...P Couch...P Matera
Foll: J Stynes, P Bairstow, B Mitchell
C: D Kemp...D Jarman...M McGuane
Foll: S Wynd, C McDermott, J Platten
C: G Anderson...G Williams...P Matera
Foll: J Stynes, B Allen, T McGuiness
C: S Tingay...G Williams...P Matera
Foll: S Rehn, R Harvey, G Hocking
C: N Winmar...P Couch...M Long
Foll: J Madden, R Harvey, C Bradley
C: Mainwaring...P Kelly...S Crawford
Foll: C McKernan, R Harvey, C Lambert
C: A Jones...C Bradley...N Buckley
Foll: P Salmon, R Harvey, N Burke
C: M Knights...S West...S Crawford
Foll: P Everitt, T Viney, R Harvey
C: B Johnson...N Buckley...W Schwass
Foll: M Allen, R Harvey, S Crawford
C: S West...B Ratten...S Camporeale
Foll: S King, A Koutoufides, N Buckley
C: J Akermanis...B Ratten...N Buckley
Foll: M Primus, S Black, A McLeod
C: J Akermanis...S Black...A Yze
Foll: M Primus, J Francou, B Cousins
C: L Hayes...M Voss...P Williams
Foll: A Goodes, N Buckley, P Bell
C: C Judd...S Black...N Lappin
Foll: J White, M Ricciuto, S West
C: N Dal Santo...S West...L Hayes
Foll: D Cox, L Ball, B Cousins
C: K Cornes...J Bartel...C Cornes
Foll: D Cox, D Kerr, G Ablett Jnr

I think there are some delays in choices.

ie 1993 after the finals, Long is the first picked midfielder from that yr. Same in 2002, I'm taking Voss no matter what, he was epic when it mattered. Kouta should be in 1999, how there are no Essendon players in 2000 defeats me, they murdered the comp that yr, totally obliterated it. Lappin is couple of yrs late for me.

Ok here's my pot shot:

C: Judd Voss Akermanis
Foll: Cox Black Buckley

Five Brownlow Medalist right there and the premier AA ruckman for the past 3 seasons.

But If I had to chose from one year I'd have to say 2001!

Heres how I rated them out of 5

C: N Winmar...P Couch...M Long
Foll: J Madden, R Harvey, C Bradley

Not much more you could ask for in your on ball division with this lot. Ruck dominance, your inside and outside game is covered, and you're looking at 5 of the most skilled footballers to play the game.

C: J Akermanis...B Ratten...N Buckley
Foll: M Primus, S Black, A McLeod

Very similar to 1995. I think Justin Madden was just a shade better at the hitouts than Primus, but still a 5 also.

Won't see too many more decorated lineups than this, with Lade also a dangerous forward option.

C: D Kemp...D Jarman...M McGuane
Foll: S Wynd, C McDermott, J Platten

3 Hall of Famers in there, and the Brownlow Medalist. All six players won club best and fairests.

C: A Jones...C Bradley...N Buckley
Foll: P Salmon, R Harvey, N Burke

Aussie Jones not quite in the class of the others, but still good enuff to make another AA appearance in 2004 as a backman.

C: C Judd...S Black...N Lappin
Foll: J White, M Ricciuto, S West

Jeff White sticks out like dogs balls in this lot.

I'll highlight the player/s i think just put these lineups a notch below the others. That's not to say they weren't good players who didn't deserve to be there. I'm sure you all know what I mean.

C: C Mainwaring...P Couch...P Matera
Foll: J Stynes, M Bairstow, B Mitchell

C: S Tingay...G Williams...P Matera
Foll: S Rehn, R Harvey, G Hocking

C: Mainwaring...P Kelly...S Crawford
Foll: C McKernan, R Harvey, C Lambert

C: M Knights...S West...S Crawford
Foll: P Everitt, T Viney, R Harvey

C: B Johnson...N Buckley...W Schwass
Foll: M Allen, R Harvey, S Crawford

C: S West...B Ratten...S Camporeale
Foll: S King, A Koutoufides, N Buckley

C: J Akermanis...S Black...A Yze
Foll: M Primus, J Francou, B Cousins

C: L Hayes...M Voss...P Williams
Foll: A Goodes, N Buckley, P Bell

C: N Dal Santo...S West...L Hayes
Foll: D Cox, L Ball, B Cousins

C: K Cornes...J Bartel...C Cornes
Foll: D Cox, D Kerr, G Ablett Jnr

I've rated this one a 4 because a few of these guys still have a bit to prove.

C: G Anderson...G Williams...P Matera
Foll: J Stynes, B Allen, T McGuiness

Pretty clear this is the straggler.
Lot of thought in that and i must say my list would be similar.

Sorry but Kouta's millenium season would beat Paul Kelly's season of 95.

I have not seen a more dominate season from one player then Kouta's of 2000. He pretty much owned everyone, period.

Will admit, Juddy's 04 season wasnt that good (in the context).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have not seen a more dominate season from one player then Kouta's of 2000. He pretty much owned everyone, period.

Will admit, Juddy's 04 season wasnt that good (in the context).

Agree that Kouta's 2000 was better than Kelly's 95..was a spectacular season. Not to say i rate him higher tho.

...and yeah Judd's 04 is way overrated by some. His numbers were actually very similar to Woewodin's medal season and nothing spectacular. Looked flashy tho. Silly that he won the medal by so much when it was a fantastic season for KP fwds. Judd has played far better footy since 04.

I'm biased of course ......but agree Kouta's 2000 was sensational was good below his knees but assisted enormously by his spring and grab. Unfortunately after serious injury he never really kept it up

Kelly ( I wonder how much you saw of his 1995? they weren't in the 8 that year and notmuch TV attention) He was super dominant and leader ( I got on him for the Brownlow early in the season) then he had IMO a better 1996- AA Captain and started 1997 even better.....then eventually got over serious injury (multiple serious) to play consistently in finals

.....as for a consistent, reliable midfielder & leader... he was better than Kouta !

Cousins is the class of voss, hird and the like.

really ?

nahhhhhhhhh never has been.

Cousins has been an outside runner and flanker his entire career. The guy has been criticised many times for his lack of attack on the ball but never for his lack of running heart. All blokes are different but he just wasnt in the same class as the guys u'd like him to sit alongside.

Woeful chase and tackle counts have always been the clue as to how he plays his footy. Lets not pretend he was in anyway an inside midfielder or tough nut at the ball either. He has always looked great in space and makes a great flanker with good goal sense. Great receiver and runner with good delivery.

Lets not confuse him with the next level up in standard though.

Its a real shame that Paul Kelly was only able to get 3 All Australians in his career as he would have received alot more if it wasnt for all his injuries. Mark Ricciuto said himself that Paul Kelly was the only player in his career that he felt he couldnt beat.

Out of all those my picks would be:

Judd Voss Buckley
Cox Williams Harvey

Found that very easy other than rucks. Spider was considered & Rehn who was a gun prior to his knee injuries. Some of the older guys are probably not as well remember over time - guys like Kelly, Matera & Bairstow all should be up there.

Those 5 mids were all totally dominant for a long time (Judd still has a bit to go). Cox I think will be a legend by the time he finishes - he has raised the bar in the way we look at what the ideal ruckman is.

really ?

nahhhhhhhhh never has been.

Cousins has been an outside runner and flanker his entire career. The guy has been criticised many times for his lack of attack on the ball but never for his lack of running heart. All blokes are different but he just wasnt in the same class as the guys u'd like him to sit alongside.

Woeful chase and tackle counts have always been the clue as to how he plays his footy. Lets not pretend he was in anyway an inside midfielder or tough nut at the ball either. He has always looked great in space and makes a great flanker with good goal sense. Great receiver and runner with good delivery.

Lets not confuse him with the next level up in standard though.
Being an inside midfielder does not put somebody a class above?

Cousins should be rated along voss, hird and rucciouto etc as a footballer because he had the same presence as them and while they could do things he couldn't he could do things they couldn't.

Why the hell would anyone care how many flags a guy has been involved in when rating their individual talent ?

Is Martin Pike the best player u remember ? Would u want to call Bob Skilton pretty damn average ?

I can never figure out why some pretend it matters or elevates their status somehow. Just because u can lift a silver cup doesnt mean u are qualified to play kick to kick with the greats. It simply means u were a cog in a great team team.

People overrate Norm Smith medals too...they claim it means the guy must have been a "great big game player"..it DOES to a certain extent only. What about the games to GET them into a GF ?..does history remember the best on ground in a close prelim final win ?...how about the guy who blitzed it to drag your team into the finals from 9th in rnd 22 ? These are MASSIVE games arnt they ? Does history remember these guys ? Unless your team is one of the two best in the comp u cannot possibly win a Norm Smith or Flag anyway.

Would u rate Buchanan or LRT from my mob as "big game players" ?...yeah i agree...but they were both damn close to being Norm Smith Medallists in recent yrs.

Personally i hated Rob Harvey and Nathan Buckley with a passion.. but over time u realise its simply because they were able to easily ruin your day despite anything your mob try. Whether a guy is part of a team that lifts a cup in September doesnt describe their individual abilities for my money.
This point's been done over and over again
Great players play on the great stage, & succeed.

The flaws of the AA system are summed up in that list... the single most damaging & influential midfielder of the last 15 years doesn't make it once. Exactly why I don't care about AA

Remove this Banner Ad

All Australian Midfields 1991-2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back