All Australian thread 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

The one exception in that list, to me at least, is Priddis. Has he really had that good a year?

Been our best player this season without a shadow of a doubt. Yes, I know it speaks volumes about the shittiness and/or inconsistency of our midfield (and team in general) but he at least gives a toss, unlike the other passengers in our engine room. There was a Priddis thread the other day on the main board where neutrals expressed surprise at how much he polarises our club board, even with a 2013 B+F under his belt and 150+ games - there is basically a core group of supporters that think he is a cross between Josef Fritzl and Satan.

/rant

Been our best player this season without a shadow of a doubt. Yes, I know it speaks volumes about the shittiness and/or inconsistency of our midfield (and team in general) but he at least gives a toss, unlike the other passengers in our engine room. There was a Priddis thread the other day on the main board where neutrals expressed surprise at how much he polarises our club board, even with a 2013 B+F under his belt and 150+ games - there is basically a core group of supporters that think he is a cross between Josef Fritzl and Satan.

/rant

I read that on your board and it stuns me TBH, I've always rated Priddis

The one exception in that list, to me at least, is Priddis. Has he really had that good a year?

I agree, he has gotten a lot of the ball but from the 6-7 games i have seen of WC this year he has done absolutely nothing with it, either a clanger kick or a handball which his teammate under a lot of pressure.

I read that on your board and it stuns me TBH, I've always rated Priddis

He's not a star and he won't be winning matches off his boot but he's an easy scapegoat for our inherent midfield structural problems. Like Naitanui, papers over the deep cracks in our midfield when on form - and when both are a bit off things go to complete shit.

I agree, he has gotten a lot of the ball but from the 6-7 games i have seen of WC this year he has done absolutely nothing with it, either a clanger kick or a handball which his teammate under a lot of pressure.

One of the worst kicks in our side and his decision making is poor. But not every side can have a Scott Pendlebury and he's the best at prising out the ball from a stoppage. Simply put, he's being played because it's better that one of us have the ball (even if it's Ploddus) rather than the opposition (inb4 priddis turns it over anyway hurhurhur)

/2ndrant

One of the worst kicks in our side and his decision making is poor. But not every side can have a Scott Pendlebury and he's the best at prising out the ball from a stoppage. Simply put, he's being played because it's better that one of us have the ball (even if it's Ploddus) rather than the opposition (inb4 priddis turns it over anyway hurhurhur)
/2ndrant

Very fair post. How is he so high up in the coaches awards, does Simpson love him or just gets the attention of other coaches?

Very fair post. How is he so high up in the coaches awards, does Simpson love him or just gets the attention of other coaches?

Because he's a good player. He's unfashionable with lots of limitations - but he's the best we've got. We often prefer to blame Priddis when in reality players like Masten, Shuey and Gaff should be copping it for not willing to do the dirty work like Priddis does.

For perspective, looking at afl.com.au, he's averaged the same number of clangers as Eric Mackenzie - and Mackenzie is being touted for the AA squad. I know that stats only reflect one perspective of reality and the best analysis is by watching games, but he's not the AFL clanger king by a long way, and we've always known he's not the smartest footballer around. I'll be glad when Priddis is dropped - because it means that the other midfielders actually stepped up to the plate consistently for the first time.

/3rdrant

I haven't read right through this thread but has Mumford garnered any love for the No 1 ruck spot? He's mised several games thorugh injury but all but one game he's played have been pretty impressive. I'd accept Sandilands would be his main rival. As for the full forward argument, I don't really understand the opposition to Shultz, who seems to be getting better as the season rolls on and he's surely the most accurate of the key forwards.
Oh, and if discussing Swans players, all I ask is that Nick Smith get a small defender's spot.

We often prefer to blame Priddis when in reality players like Masten, Shuey and Gaff should be copping it for not willing to do the dirty work like Priddis does.

Never have truer words been uttered.

Obviously to alot of Eagles supporters, Masten, Shuey & Gaff are protected species ( god only knows why !!! ). Priddis aint pretty but he always gives 100%.

B: M. Hibberd, A. Carlile, K. Simpson
HB: N. Dal Santo, C. Hooker, B. Smith (wanted to leave him out due to Crows supporter douchebaggery in this thread, but he's earned it)
C: T. Rockliff, J. Kennedy, D. Beams
HF: R. Gray, L. Franklin, B. Harvey
F: L. Breust, J. Schulz, T. Hawkins
R: A. Sandilands, G. Ablett, S. Pendlebury
Int: N. Fyfe, T. Boak, N. Jones, T. Liberatore (Libba was a fair way behind the other players on my bench, he'd be the one to go if I was including a second ruck)

Kicking big bags against GWS is great, but when you're competing with other guys around the 60-70 goal mark 9 goals against Footscray doesn't look as good as 5 against Hawthorn and 4 against Collingwood, for example.

How about 4 goals against Sydney at the SCG?

Never have truer words been uttered.

Obviously to alot of Eagles supporters, Masten, Shuey & Gaff are protected species ( god only knows why !!! ). Priddis aint pretty but he always gives 100%.
Priddis is a shining light of whats wrong with the Eagles - we are accepting and praising mediocrity. Yes he gives 100% every game and that is admirable, but he is still a WAFL player at best. The fact that he is above Liberatore, Harvey, Franklin, Goddard and Jones in that list above shows how much he is overated by people within West Coast and around the league. We are polishing a turd simply because pea-hearted players like Gaff, Shuey, and Masten arent living up to expectations.

Unfortunately he will remain in our side because our list managers have chosen extremely poorly with our draft picks and there is absolutely no-one else who can fix our midfield. The above young trio named are not protected species on our board - refer to the thread entitled "The rot in the middle".

Priddis is a shining light of whats wrong with the Eagles - we are accepting and praising mediocrity. Yes he gives 100% every game and that is admirable, but he is still a WAFL player at best. The fact that he is above Liberatore, Harvey, Franklin, Goddard and Jones in that list above shows how much he is overated by people within West Coast and around the league. We are polishing a turd simply because pea-hearted players like Gaff, Shuey, and Masten arent living up to expectations.

Unfortunately he will remain in our side because our list managers have chosen extremely poorly with our draft picks and there is absolutely no-one else who can fix our midfield. The above young trio named are not protected species on our board - refer to the thread entitled "The rot in the middle".

I agree with your thoughts.

Reminds me very much of the period when Shaun McManus was the "heart & soul" of Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see how he's any worse than say Brad Sewell or Luke Ball or James Kelly. Not his fault he has **** all support. He would probably get a game at every team in the league.

I agree with your thoughts.

Reminds me very much of the period when Shaun McManus was the "heart & soul" of Freo.

And from there, eventually Freo became the powerhouse that it is today. Successful on-field and making lots of money off-field.

Like I said before, the day Priddis is dropped is the day when our midfield gets its shit together - but that day is not coming this season I suspect.

As to the statement as to whether he's a WAFL player at best - I vehemently disagree. Bradd Dalziell was a WAFL player at best with his lack of pace and mediocre disposal, and Priddis is at least a level above him, as evidenced by the fact he won a Sandover in the year before he got rookied by the Eagles. As BaGB stated - we're persisting with him because his highly fancied companions in midfield aren't stepping it up - and can we blame Priddis for that?

Anyway we're digressing, since he's not in AA contention. The only one is Mackenzie, and the good thing is he cleaned up Roo on the weekend.

Because he isn't the most gifted mid they have, therefore an easy target. But he is the best in and under player/extractor by a furlong.
If he had Judd, Cuz and Kerr alongside he would be AA, but he has to contend with Masten and a bunch of vanilla tryers.

I have said for years I would love him at the Dockers, he would compliment us. I guess it goes to show that timing is everything when you arrive on a list.

Because he isn't the most gifted mid they have, therefore an easy target. But he is the best in and under player/extractor by a furlong.
If he had Judd, Cuz and Kerr alongside he would be AA, but he has to contend with Masten and a bunch of vanilla tryers.

I have said for years I would love him at the Dockers, he would compliment us. I guess it goes to show that timing is everything when you arrive on a list.
You have got to be joking. He would be our 6th best midfielder.

What are you on about? I don't think NN should have been in the 2012 AA team because his season wasn't good enough. Not sure what Maric has to do with it.

you stated that NN didnt deserve his 2012 AA spot coz he should be taking more marks with his potential. I was simply making a point that potential has nothing to do with it, the performance of the rest of the league does.

you stated that NN didnt deserve his 2012 AA spot coz he should be taking more marks with his potential. I was simply making a point that potential has nothing to do with it, the performance of the rest of the league does.

No, I didn't.

And averaged only 3 marks per game, the highest he has ever averaged. With his attributes he should be taking at least 5 every week.

The word potential is never mentioned. I said with his attributes he should be taking at least 5 marks each week. Each week meaning currently and back then. I stated earlier that I would have went with Cox as my only ruck in the 2012 AA team, so don't make shit up dude. Just makes you look like a tosser.

Priddis is a gun. Would take him at the Swans in a heartbeat. Sure his disposal by foot isn't always top-notch but he's a ripper in close. Let the other guys kick it, he'll get it to them.
He would not get a game at the Swans, the class of your midfield is way above anything he could offer.
Would suggest you have a quick look on the Eagles Forum under the heading "How much longer can Priddis be played ?" there are 4,700 posts over 170 pages with 90% of their own supporters looking forward to the day he retires.
Probably a great bloke, racks up the stats, hard trier but that's about it.

B: L.Dunn, D.Talia, N.Malceski
HB: K.Simpson, C. Hooker, B.Smith
C: T. Rockliff, J. Kennedy, N.Fyfe
F: L. Breust, J. Schulz, L.Parker
Int: D.Beams, T. Boak, Libba, C.Ward

Backman next in line: D.Swallow, M.Hibberd, G.Birchall, A.Carlile, E.McKenzie, H.Shaw, S.May, J.Trengrove
Midfield next in line: N.Jones, Prestia, Selwood, Dangerfield, D.Martin (HFF maybe), Treloar, Priddis
Forwards next in line: T.Hawkins, C.Wingard, H.Bennell, J.Elliot, J.Roughhead, L.Dahlaus, J.Westhoff
Rucks next in line: S.Mumford, S.Jacobs, M.Lobbe

FB: Hibberd - May - Simpson
HB: Goddard - Hooker - Smith
C: Dangerfield - Kennedy - Harvey
HF: Gray - Franklin - Beams
FF: Wingard - Hawkins - Breust
R: Sandilands - Ablett - Pendlebury
INT: Fyfe - Boak - Ward - Rockliff

good team, I like the Goddard inclusion, has been instrumental in our wins. 3/6 bombers players in that backline doe, think Nick Smith or Malceski have been better than Hibberd, who definitely should be in the squad, or even Burgoyne.

B: L.Dunn, D.Talia, N.Malceski
HB: K.Simpson, C. Hooker, B.Smith
C: T. Rockliff, J. Kennedy, N.Fyfe
F: L. Breust, J. Schulz, L.Parker
Int: D.Beams, T. Boak, Libba, C.Ward

Backman next in line: N.Smith, D.Swallow, M.Hibberd, G.Birchall, A.Carlile, E.McKenzie, S.May,
Midfield next in line: N.Jones, Prestia, Selwood, Dangerfield, D.Martin, Treloar
Forwards next in line: T.Hawkins, C.Wingard, H.Bennell, J.Elliot, J.Roughhead
Rucks next in line: S.Mumford, S.Jacobs, M.Lobbe

Lowered it down a little

Remove this Banner Ad

All Australian thread 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back