Mega Thread All Australian Watch: 2011 Cont'd...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why ?

Honestly thinking your overating him, he is surrounded by class players that are making him look good.

Darren Glass has been better than him and had even less goals kicked on him, and I dont think he's in AA contention.

Would rather Scarlett than Reid at this stage, even though he plays the third man role to perfection these days.

Thommo42 the big Q had a good game against collingwood one of our best in that thrashing and Reid played on him.

I already explained 'why'. He's having a great season (opinion) and he's the key back in the league's best defence (kind of fact :)) . You haven't explained your 'why', all you're saying is you think your player's better and another player's better.

And Lynch was okay against us, but all his touches were up the ground and he didn't register a score. So if that's Reid's bad game, fantastic.

by watching them play.

One of the most important skills these days is intercept marking and being prepared to leave your man to take a grab, or help a teammate. This is why I reckon McPharlin and Fisher are the standouts. They beat opponents, also help teammates as third man up, take heaps of intercept marks and offer excellent rebound.

Sounds like a third-man up. These players are usually not that good defensively.

So I don't like him because I think he is not a lock for AA? He's a potential AA, not a lock.

It's easy to get an uncontested mark when in the backline, but Reid is 3rd behind McPharlin and Fisher for marks from opposition kicks. Another good reason why I think McPharlin and Fisher are the leaders in the KPD spots this year.

Surprised Reid has one bounce on his stats, why bounce when you can kick a laser like left foot pass or give it to Heater, Harry, Leon or Johnson to take off for some running bounces?

He's not afraid to run with the footy and kick long when he does win, hence his 7 bounces thus far (compared to Reid's one).

I'm a huge wrap for Jamison and have been for a while and think he's ahead of Reid in AA calculations.

However using running bounces in this context doesn't portray an accurate picture. Reid is the more penetrating kick of the two so only needs to run the ball 5-10 metres then kick it 50 and he's providing as much run as Jamison would if he ran 10 metres took a bounce ran another 10 and then delivered the ball 40 metres.

Its the fact that Jamison takes the number one forward each week guaranteed and has been doing an amazing job on them that put's him in front of Reid. Though Reid get's the number one forward the majority of times, he hasn't quite pantsed them in the same way.

Its the fact that Jamison takes the number one forward each week guaranteed and has been doing an amazing job on them that put's him in front of Reid. Though Reid get's the number one forward the majority of times, he hasn't quite pantsed them in the same way.

The biggest improvement for mine in Jamison is going from a purely defensive player content with just spoiling to having the confidence to back himself in a one on one and attack the footy. He out-marked Brown in a number of one on ones.

Not only that, last year he was pretty ineffectual with ball in hands. He's evolved into a player who has the confidence to take on the opposition and hit a target down the field. It's refreshing seeing him use his speed to get in front of a leading opponent, mark the footy and just keep going with it.

yes, you're a much better defender if you leave your teammate one out, when you are in the vicinity and could go over and spoil, but instead stand there next to your opponent who is not in a dangerous position :rolleyes:

Don't think that's the only plausible alternative.
You're a better key-position back if you cover your player (i.e. concede minimal goals), help out your teammate (spoils to an extent), read the opposition play (intercept marks) and provide rebounds.

I'm happy that you don't think the first element is the be-all-and-end-all but I don't think the intercept marks is the most defining feature of a key back's game.

Edit: Which is basically what you said so I'd agree with your understanding of how to rate a key back. However, I am wary of intercept marks as the premium element to determine a back's influence.

Wouldn't have one ahead of the other.

Both are thumping kicks.

Reid does get into more advanced positions, however.

I'm sorry but I can't agree. I've seen Jamison rip some great penetrating passes but Reid has the slight edge there.

Jamison's conceded something like 5 goals this year.

Disposals is a horrible measure of a KPD. Easiest thing in the world to get an uncontested mark in the backline. Not saying Reid's done that but Jamison would one of the most attacking KPDs in the game at the moment. His ability to outmark his opponent, be it through strength or speed, has been phenomenal. He's not afraid to run with the footy and kick long when he does win, hence his 7 bounces thus far (compared to Reid's one).

lol thats ridiculous. Elite kpd's have to be damaging the other way and to do that you have to have top disposal - Scarlett, Fletcher, & Bok all have top quality disposal and thats what seperates them from guys like Glass, Presti etc who are just around to nullify.

Might get flamed here but I think Tarrant has had a terrific season at full back. You could definitely make an argument for him to be considered based on \this season plus the fact that he can be swung up forward and perform well there as well.

Why would Jamison and Reid be in competition for spots? Different positions I would think... No way would Jamison be named in any other position than fullback.

So according to Collingwood fans, they would have 8 players in the AA team.

Tarrant
Reid
Shaw
Davis
Pendulbury
Thomas
Swan
Cloke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jobe Watson needs to come good soon or he will lose his spot.

What do you mean come good? He was tearing it up before he got injured. He missed two games to injury then again he was named amongst the best on the weekend, despite not having played for a month.

Come good?:confused:

What do you mean come good? He was tearing it up before he got injured. He missed two games to injury then again he was named amongst the best on the weekend, despite not having played for a month.

Come good?:confused:

dont know what world you were living in, he was average. Was dominant before injury, but now he has missed a month and played badly in one week. wasnt in the top 10 on the ground. If he plays like that for another 2 weeks, he will be out of alot of teams, other mids will pass him easily.

I'm looking at a spine similar to this...(Squad in brackets)
Jamison (Scarlett, Gibson)
McPharlin (Reid, Taylor, Fisher)
Watson (A plethora of mids)
Franklin (Cloke)
Kennedy (Reiwoldt)
Cox (Goldstein, Sandilands - one of these will defs be on the bench)

Why would Jamison and Reid be in competition for spots? Different positions I would think... No way would Jamison be named in any other position than fullback.

Because he has beaten several CHF's this year, how did he do that standing in the goal square? Lets just use the term key defender, as none of them play a set position anymore, especially the good ones.

Jamison in doubt this week with an ankle, making it 3 games missed, including the legitimate challenge in J.Reiwolt. Slips him further behind McPharlin/Fisher imo.

Tarrant
Reid
Shaw
Davis
Pendulbury
Thomas
Swan
Cloke

Tarrant, Reid and Davis 'no' at this stage. Davis is coming from a long way back. Swan is borderline, but Thomas, Pendles, Cloke and Shaw would be locks imo.

Geelong did have 9 AA's in 2007 - were they as dominant as the Pies of '10 who had 4?

Tarrant
Reid
Shaw
Davis
Pendulbury
Thomas
Swan
Cloke

You would think all of these minus Tarrant will make the squad... Not that Tarrant hasn't been good, just think as a stopper there have been plenty better so far this season. Swan only if he gets back to form though. Maybe you should concede that their is a reason that the team with the least conceded points in the league is in fact the best defence in the league.

You would think all of these minus Tarrant will make the squad... Not that Tarrant hasn't been good, just think as a stopper there have been plenty better so far this season. Swan only if he gets back to form though. Maybe you should concede that their is a reason that the team with the least conceded points in the league is in fact the best defence in the league.

based on what I have seen I think this is a reasonable assessment.

Can't agree on Davis in the squad at this stage. He's played 2 games of VFL and missed a game through injury. He's had 3 or 4 outstanding games, but not enough at this point imo.

If he holds the form from the last 3 weeks until September, he will walk into the 22 - but we're a long way from home.

Tarrant, Reid and Davis 'no' at this stage. Davis is coming from a long way back. Swan is borderline, but Thomas, Pendles, Cloke and Shaw would be locks imo.

Shaw & Pendles are locks. Thomas is close to, but it always competitive for spots in the middle. Cloke has been the 2nd best forward this year behind Buddy and is slightly ahead of Kennedy, and a fair way ahead of Jack Riewoldt. Would be in at this stage, but Kennedy and Riewoldt could still catch him, so not quite a lock yet.

What about a bloke averaging 30.9 disposals ( 18.1 of those kicks ), 4.5 I50s, in the top few for both clearances and contested possessions. And also has a good DE%. Any chance?

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back