Mega Thread All Australian Watch: 2011 Cont'd...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McPharlin a clear lock. Jamison in the chasing pack with 5 other key defenders at least.

Who?

Merrett's season is just about done. Gibson conceded more goals in a half than Jamo has all season. Reid is a CHB. Rutten's been good but he's not getting in playing for a bottom 4 side. Glass has been great defensively but Jamo defends and attacks.

Fisher's been very good but again, more CHB than FB.

Maybe Thommo just doesn't rate him. A standout at FB for me but key defenders have been good, so there are plenty to choose from.

Fairly set on the defence I'd go with, apart from the flanker spot:

B: Shaw - Jamison - Scarlett
HB: Fisher - McPharlin - Deledio/Scotland/or an extra mid like Kelly (Scotland pretty much is a mid anyway)

As b4f said, Gibson was well in contention for a spot before this round but Jamison moves ahead now. Merrett was his nearest rival and he's out of contention now.

I haven't seen enough of Glass and Rutten recently but they are both having good seasons. Where they fit in the big picture, I'm not too sure.

Enright was back to his better form last night. Murphy and Birchall still having good seasons. Not sure who else there is in the rebounding department. Adcock seems to have fallen away.

McPharlin a clear lock. Jamison in the chasing pack with 5 other key defenders at least.

The only other defender who was in the same category as those two, Merrett, recently went down with injury for 8 weeks. If the team was chosen now, those 2 guys would be guarenteed FB and CHB. Both have been absolutely outstanding all season - every single game.

Jamison keeps producing amazing performances every single game. Today kept J. Brown to 3 touches in 3 quarters before getting subbed off. Look on the Carlton board and you'll see a lot of people ranking him close to BOG. Reid, Gibson etc. have all been extremely good, I'm not arguing that, but Jamison has been better.

Was impressed by Jamison today. That said the delivery to Brown gave him next to no chance. With Merrett out for the season you'd expect him to get the nod (I think Jamison would have got the nod anyway despite Merrett having a better season (IMO) due to playing for Carlton not Brisbane).

Brown had next to no supply today, but the odd occassion it did go down Jamo did some pretty special things.

It shows how effective Jamo was that as soon as Thornton went onto Brown that JB managed to kick a few goals in just a quarter of footy.

Hope Jamo's injury isn't too bad and he can play out full games.

Sam Butler needs strong consideration for a back pocket/back flank

No one other than Eagles fans would probably be able to pick him out of a line-up, but he is one of the key reasons why we've been so improved this year

McPharlin doesn't usually play CHB, he generally plays deep inside the 50.

BOG as well today.

He just plays on the best forward wherever they go - because he can fill both roles with aplomb

IMO - having one of the standout KP defensive seasons in years.

Jamo was again fantastic. Brown kicked his goals in the last when Jamo was subbed off, and the one he kicked in the 3rd quarter was while Jamo was on the bench. Gibson destroyed by Pods yesterday, so Jamo and MacPharlin are locks for mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who?

Merrett's season is just about done. Gibson conceded more goals in a half than Jamo has all season. Reid is a CHB. Rutten's been good but he's not getting in playing for a bottom 4 side. Glass has been great defensively but Jamo defends and attacks.

Fisher's been very good but again, more CHB than FB.

I see your point on the FB/CHB, but I don't believe anyone plays those natural roles anymore - they just go to a matchup.

Jamo plays CHB if the oppositions best forward is playing CHF and he plays FB if the opposition gun is a FF. Fisher plays a completely different role altogether, but is having an incredible season. McPharlin is like Jamo, he just plays on the best forward. Reid is a CHB, but only because Collingwood have 2 genuine tall key defenders, but even then, he will play FB if the matchup suits. He played FB in the GF, while Brown played CHB on Roo as an example.

Rutten continued his excellent season on the weekend by thrashing Kennedy, who is in the best handful of forwards for the year. Reid has beaten everyone he has played on. Fisher has been dominant, Glass has been exceptional, as has Scarlett - and most would agree McPharlin is the clear standout. So once again, I think Jamo is in the chasing pack behind him with several others - not a clear lock.

We will get a better guage of him when he plays on some of the in form forwards in the game this year. Franklin, J.Reiwolt, Cloke, Kennedy are the standouts, and Jamison for whatever reason didn't play much on Cloke, but was beaten well when he did and he hasn't come up against any of the other 3. Tippett/Walker combo was a good challenge for him, and they kicked 8 of 12 between them. Brown and Roo might be nice scalps for the CV, but they've been beaten every week pretty much, even a first gamer from North got hold of Browny before he kicked 3 goals from 50m penalties!

Rutten continued his excellent season on the weekend by thrashing Kennedy,

That's overstating it - Kennedy still took 7 grabs

Was his own worst enemy with his kicking - kicked into the man on the mark twice while lining up. Could easily have had 4 goals.

Rutten was solid and you'd suggest based on output he had the edge in the duel - but it wasn't a thrashing by any stretch

I see your point on the FB/CHB, but I don't believe anyone plays those natural roles anymore - they just go to a matchup.

Jamo plays CHB if the oppositions best forward is playing CHF and he plays FB if the opposition gun is a FF. Fisher plays a completely different role altogether, but is having an incredible season. McPharlin is like Jamo, he just plays on the best forward. Reid is a CHB, but only because Collingwood have 2 genuine tall key defenders, but even then, he will play FB if the matchup suits. He played FB in the GF, while Brown played CHB on Roo as an example.

Rutten continued his excellent season on the weekend by thrashing Kennedy, who is in the best handful of forwards for the year. Reid has beaten everyone he has played on. Fisher has been dominant, Glass has been exceptional, as has Scarlett - and most would agree McPharlin is the clear standout. So once again, I think Jamo is in the chasing pack behind him with several others - not a clear lock.

We will get a better guage of him when he plays on some of the in form forwards in the game this year. Franklin, J.Reiwolt, Cloke, Kennedy are the standouts, and Jamison for whatever reason didn't play much on Cloke, but was beaten well when he did and he hasn't come up against any of the other 3. Tippett/Walker combo was a good challenge for him, and they kicked 8 of 12 between them. Brown and Roo might be nice scalps for the CV, but they've been beaten every week pretty much, even a first gamer from North got hold of Browny before he kicked 3 goals from 50m penalties!

You don't watch things very closely, Cloke did nothing for 3 quarters and then kicked a few goals with Simon white on him. Jamison has his measure provided we obtain someone to stand on Dawes.

i cant believe the garbage collingwood supporters come up with.
cloke is no where near AA. he is having a pretty good season i guess, but he is playing in a dominant team as their #1 forward i'd have kennedy/buddy/riewoldt(nick and jack)/brown/(hell, why not throw in pods) over cloke any day of the week,

i cant believe the garbage collingwood supporters come up with.
cloke is no where near AA. he is having a pretty good season i guess, but he is playing in a dominant team as their #1 forward i'd have kennedy/buddy/riewoldt(nick and jack)/brown/(hell, why not throw in pods) over cloke any day of the week,
Cameron Mooney 2007 All Australian Robert Walls Lovechild Board -->

LOL @ the overuse of the word, "lock" in these pre-emptive mid-season All Australian threads

If Judd, Murphy, Buddy, Pendles, Daisy and Big Cox did their ACL's next weekend then none of them would feature in the 2011 AA team.

People should keep it in their pants until Round 16-17-18 before they start "locking" anybody in the team. Until then, it's just premature opinion.

After round 12 for the Dockers.
McPharlin would have to be at CHB or FB without any doubt at all.
Mundy would be in the team but is going to miss a month now so he will lose his spot.
Sandi "may" have a bench spot but going to be hard for him to make the side missing a month even though hes so good.
Fyfe a chance for HFF or INT.

So i'm tipping one maybe two dockers at this point.

I would have though most just use the term in regards to if it was picked now type lock.

Obviously you can't be lock after 12 rounds.
I know what they mean, but if someone thinks Judd is a must for their mid year team, then they should just pick him, FFS. What's this bulldust about "locks" ?

Describing someone as a "lock" is a pre-emptive description for future events or announcements. For example, Geelong and Collingwood are locks for this year's top four. Judd and Goodes are locks for the AFL Hall of Fame. Scully is a lock for GWS next season.

can someone tell me why grundy is yet to gain a mention in these threads despite the fact he is the premier defender in sydney's defence which has conceded the fourth least points for the whole year, and is the major reason why we're only sitting two points outside the four half way through the season? also had a great season last year and is following on with it this year.

or is it just the bigfooty way of ignoring anything sydney related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back