All Australian Watch: 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to this round Jobe watson and Pavlich were the only 2 players to receive coaches votes in every round. So for me they are the only 2 locks so far

Merrett's form has been exceptional. Adcock great too but Shaw has had some blinders so far this season and i would say he and enright have the hbf's tied up so far.

Its gone from the Dawes show to the Cloke show in the collingwood forward line. One of them will definately wrap up a position if they continue their form.

Scarlett now playing the third defender/rebounding role and doing it very well. Lonergan was absolutely fantastic today - idk how he has been in the other matches this year.

Seems to be a bit of a changing of the guard happening in the midfield - Mundy, Watson and Murphy all look like they might be able to force their way in this year.

Glad to see a few opposition supporters putting Luke McPharlin in there best 22 so far. Has been a major reason for our great start to season, he was sensational last night. I have said for years if he was left down back (Connolly loved him forward for some reason) and was injury free he could be AA as a key defender.

I think Reid will be AA at some stage in his career but he needs to take some big scalps this year. Unfortunately he hasn't really had to take anyone of note yet. Tarrant will most likely get Hall this week so his next real challenge will be maybe round 11 vs saints where he will get matched up on Kosi? And even then.... Its Kosi......

Hall not playing this week, and Reid killed Hille/Ryder/Hurley yesterday. Hille took one strong grab, but apart from that - those 3 were non factors.

Tarrant and Reid rotated on them, so he didn't do it on his own - but Ryder and Hurley in particular were complete non factors and Reid spent plenty of time on them.

outside our obvious ones, Ben Reid should be a smokey. His ball use is exquisite, and he is holding down a key post on the side.

he has looked very shaky this year, not even in squad contention unless he improves manyfold

Geelong had about a million AA players over the past few years. Collingwood is already looking better than they ever were, so no doubt we can chip in a dozen of theirs.

Judd was awesome. Murphy was ok and thereabouts. Judd probably jumps ahead of Murphy for the year so far from Carlton. So I'd have Judd just ahead of Murphy for a midfield spot out of those two.

Jamison keeps on performing but at this stage I like the McPharlin and Merrett combo.

Mumford probably a clearish outright 3rd ruckman behind Cox and Sandilands. Ottens and Jamar going along nicely as well. Goodes and Bolton fell off the pace.

I know I'll get laughed at but Ted Richards has been outstanding in defence for us this year and since key defenders aren't really banging the door down, he is a good smokey for a spot in the squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For us the guys in contention already posted are about right:

Enright, Scarlett, Bartel, Chapman.

Taylor maybe in contention but I think others have been better so far this year.

Ottens in in rare form but little chance he will play a full season out.

Unless the wheels fall off I would expect the Pies to dominate the AA team this year.

Geelong had about a million AA players over the past few years. Collingwood is already looking better than they ever were, so no doubt we can chip in a dozen of theirs.

Big statement. Geelong dominated three Home and Away seasons for three Grand Finals and two Premierships. :thumbsu:

Martin wouldn't even be in the team imo, let alone a lock. Assuming he goes in the middle.

Why the hell not? He's in the team - 26.7 touches, 1.7 goals a game. Riewoldt would be now in the team probably too, 21 goals and would be 25+ if not knocked out. If not very close. As I said, he will be in every team by mid season.

Why the hell not? He's in the team - 26.7 touches, 1.7 goals a game. Riewoldt would be now in the team probably too, 21 goals and would be 25+ if not knocked out. If not very close. As I said, he will be in every team by mid season.

Is he ahead of Swan, Pendlebury, Watson, Mundy, Pavlich and Bartel though, not to mention others in contention like Judd, Murphy, Griffen, Thompson, Boyd, Embley, Fyfe, Mitchell, Moloney- midfield is a hard spot to get a gig and he would certainly be in the mix but is definately no lock.

Don't see why he couldn't go forward. Chapman gets a spot in the forwardline when he spends less time there than Martin has this year.

Is he ahead of Swan, Pendlebury, Watson, Mundy, Pavlich and Bartel though, not to mention others in contention like Judd, Murphy, Griffen, Thompson, Boyd, Embley, Fyfe, Mitchell, Moloney- midfield is a hard spot to get a gig and he would certainly be in the mix but is definately no lock.

Yeah I guess, very true.

Maybe I'm getting a bit carried away given his form for a 2nd year player. :D

A number of those would be in front although I'd think he push ahead some in that list because he's also added 10 goals (in bold). Also close call with a couple others. Maybe he can be named off a HFF. Would be some effort if he can keep this up.

lol Barnzy, ease up. It was more that he isn't a lock, not that he isn't in contention. Griff summed it up well.

He'd be a good pick in the forward line though but that's where it's going to be ever harder this year. Once again midfielders/defenders/forwards are merging closer and closer position wise. Nearly impossible to define a HF from a winger now. imo it's just key position players and then the best of the rest for all the other spots.
Martin in a FP wouldn't be ridiculous in the current game. Obviously there will be a few standout role players like Shaw and Enright in defence. Forward line gets a bit hard, maybe Garlett in a FP? Why not Fyfe, Chapman and Martin. With Cloke, Franklin and Dawes/Riewoldt/whoever in the forward line.

lol Barnzy, ease up. It was more that he isn't a lock, not that he isn't in contention. Griff summed it up well.

He'd be a good pick in the forward line though but that's where it's going to be ever harder this year. Once again midfielders/defenders/forwards are merging closer and closer position wise. Nearly impossible to define a HF from a winger now. imo it's just key position players and then the best of the rest for all the other spots.
Martin in a FP wouldn't be ridiculous in the current game. Obviously there will be a few standout role players like Shaw and Enright in defence. Forward line gets a bit hard, maybe Garlett in a FP? Why not Fyfe, Chapman and Martin. With Cloke, Franklin and Dawes/Riewoldt/whoever in the forward line.

Yeah, fair point. Just getting a bit excited I guess. Best young footballer I've seen at the club ever.

Agree after looking over it he may have to sneak into the forward line. A lot of good, mature mids to compete with for a spot - Swan, Pendlebury, Boyd and the likes. Probably a year or 2 off a spot there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back