Analysis Why West Coast should go in as favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

How could you not? It's a perfect mix of tall and small with each bringing their own unique piece to the puzzle.

I’ve been bullish about our chances since Kennedy cam back

He’s still in the best two or three power forwards when fit....it frees up darling

Lecca gets a good opponent....frees up Cripps .....

If we can split the midfield battle we can win easily ...kick straight .....

Collingwood has momentum and are the last team to win at the MCG, so that's also a slight advantage. They have the feel for the ground more than west coast.

Pies looked amazing, but it was so beyond how they've played this season that my hope is that it was an anomaly (Like GC beating Sydney) and they will revert back to the mean this week.

WC didn't look too shabby either.

Sorry mate, I know you want to believe that but my op is based on the 2 games I saw on the weekend. WC broke down the highest contested possy team in the comp, granted the Pies were good but they are a pressure team and guess what wc do? They break down pressure through their own brand of pressure and then play their trademark keepings off.

I'm not saying that's a given this week, just sayin goin on what we all witnessed wc should be faves at the bookies.
So instead of discussing this game in your own board or in the entire thread on the main board devoted to the game, you start an entire new thread saying West Coast should be favourites.

Of course its deflection, and it's not necessary, Collingwood should win and are rightly favourites to do so.

So instead of discussing this game in your own board or in the entire thread on the main board devoted to the game, you start an entire new thread saying West Coast should be favourites.

Of course its deflection, and it's not necessary, Collingwood should win and are rightly favourites to do so.
Collingwood should win because they beat Richmond? Didn't they lose to WC 2 weeks ago? Richmond played like shit just like Melbourne, however the media and Richmond fans would lead everyone to believe Collingwood was awesome and Melbourne were awful

Pies looked amazing, but it was so beyond how they've played this season that my hope is that it was an anomaly (Like GC beating Sydney) and they will revert back to the mean this week.

WC didn't look too shabby either.
No anomaly. Pulled out similar dominant performances against Adelaide, Bombers on ANZAC day, Dees on QB, and North (yes I know only 1 top 8 team in that lot).

Played the same against GWS in SF but couldn’t convert in the first half - 10 point win from 10 behinds.

No anomaly. Pulled out similar dominant performances against Adelaide, Bombers on ANZAC day, Dees on QB, and North (yes I know only 1 top 8 team in that lot).

Played the same against GWS in SF but couldn’t convert in the first half - 10 point win from 10 behinds.

I know you Pies fans disagree, but I don't see the evidence that suggests otherwise. I find it hard to believe they will come out and play exactly the same in the GF. If you do, hats off to you, deserve whatever result you get. But I'm not buying it. I'm seeing a trend on here that Pies performance last week is an indicator of how good they are, while WC's was just cause Melbourne were shit.

Tbh, Martin getting what 16 touches? Pretty much says it all.

Last edited:
I know you Pies fans disagree, but I don't see the evidence that suggests otherwise. I find it hard to believe they will come out and play exactly the same in the GF. If you do, hats off to you, deserve whatever result you get. But I'm not buying it. I'm seeing a trend on here that Pies performance last week is an indicator of how good they are, while WC's was just cause Melbourne were shit.
I didn’t say that we are guaranteed to play the same way we did against the Tigers in the GF. I don’t personally see Cox taking 8 contested marks again or Sidebottom left on his own to get 41 touches.

I agree with your comment that it was an illustration of how good we are - but saying that it was beyond anything we’ve done all season is a bit rich for me.

I didn’t say that we are guaranteed to play the same way we did against the Tigers in the GF. I don’t personally see Cox taking 8 contested marks again or Sidebottom left on his own to get 41 touches.

I agree with your comment that it was an illustration of how good we are - but saying that it was beyond anything we’ve done all season is a bit rich for me.

You've been good, but you haven't been smash Tigers at the G good. If you say you have played like that this season, then you must be admitting that Richmond were way below par.

You've been good, but you haven't been smash Tigers at the G good. If you say you have played like that this season, then you must be admitting that Richmond were way below par.

I think Collingwood took it to a whole different level the other day against the Tigers. Martin could have been quiet because of the match up (don't like speculating these types of things). I could say the same about the WCE match against Melbourne. Took it to another level but it is impossible to tell whether the other team was performing at par as to how they usually do.

I don’t beleive our 2 earlier games against the Tigers were truly reflective of our ability - lost 2 players to injury during the game both Times and lost both games in the 4th quarter. Not saying we win both but was always of the belief that 42 and 27 points was not a true reflection.

I’ll happily claim that both games resulted the way they did because of our injuries - just like I’m sure some Tigers will reckon a hampered Dusty and Astbury played a part in their loss.

I don’t beleive our 2 earlier games against the Tigers were truly reflective of our ability - lost 2 players to injury during the game both Times and lost both games in the 4th quarter. Not saying we win both but was always of the belief that 42 and 27 points was not a true reflection.

I’ll happily claim that both games resulted the way they did because of our injuries - just like I’m sure some Tigers will reckon a hampered Dusty and Astbury played a part in their loss.

It's a different game too. WC really just have to play like they did against the Demons to win. Pies can't expect to go with us in the air like they did against Richmond, sure they can try, but good luck against the best contested marking team in the comp. So they will have to change it up a bit.

If WC get their hands on the ball, they will win. We haven't lost a game in 2018 where we broke even in the middle, that's how efficient we are going forward. We just look like we are going to score when it hits our 50. I expect if we can absorb the first quarter pressure and keep it close, I would double down on us winning it from there.

Collingwood should win because they beat Richmond? Didn't they lose to WC 2 weeks ago? Richmond played like shit just like Melbourne, however the media and Richmond fans would lead everyone to believe Collingwood was awesome and Melbourne were awful

Richmond are awesome and colllingwood beat them so by definition are awesomer.

(Tiggers fans can’t stand the thought of them being third best, they’d rather satisfy themselves that Collingwood fluked a win when it mattered)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a different game too. WC really just have to play like they did against the Demons to win. Pies can't expect to go with us in the air like they did against Richmond, sure they can try, but good luck against the best contested marking team in the comp. So they will have to change it up a bit.

If WC get their hands on the ball, they will win. We haven't lost a game in 2018 where we broke even in the middle and not even that, anything under +12 to the opposition and we have won. I expect if we can absorb the first quarter pressure and keep it close, I would double down on us winning it from there.
Match us in the middle and WCE will win - I agree with that sentiment.

No doubting the aerial dominance of WCE - but we have to allow you to win it in the middle in order for you to do so. Don’t expect Pies to only lay 36 tackles like the Dees did last weekend.

Let’s see how McMuffins ribs pull up after last weekend.

I don't see how West Coast can be favourites when they will have to deal with a Collingwood home crowd and the inevitable biased umpiring that follows.

On top of that, forecast shows possibility of rain which doesn't suit West Coasts strengths.

I basically agree with you- it's just that so many non VIC teams have failed on the big stage this decade, when up against a local opponent. Only one (syd 2012) has performed above expectations. Syd also lost twice as favourites since then.

You have to go back as far as Brisbane before them. I do think WC will break the curse this year though.
I think the competition needs West Coast winning to address the perceived inequalities of GFs being on some clubs home ground

West Coast should be favourites, this is ridiculous.

They've had the better record and has had a great finals run.... and I believe if Pies did not beat Tigers, would beat the Tigers in the Grand Final. They are hungry... and has learnt their lesson from 2015, big factor IMO

West Coast beat a travelling side with basically no finals experience, it doesnt come close to the significance of your win against us.

What a load of bull dust. We beat Richmond by 10 goals this year. You simply aren’t that good.

Melbourne were tipped to beat us by the moronic sheep of Victorian journalist having won their two finals.

As Jimmy Bartel said, ‘West Coast could have scored 100 points in the first half alone.’

The Eagles will win on Saturday no matter what the weather or the umpiring brings.

I wonder if the Game Day thread will have quiet Eagles fans if a repeat of Friday night happens at the Grand Final?

Ok that is your opinion, like I said these are my opinions. Agree to disagree.

Don't see why this should not be up for discussion on the main board, it's not a deflection it's just the way I see it. Not fussed if we're favourites or not I'm sure the playing group don't care either.

And port.

What a load of bull dust. We beat Richmond by 10 goals this year. You simply aren’t that good.

Melbourne were tipped to beat us by the moronic sheep of Victorian journalist having won their two finals.

As Jimmy Bartel said, ‘West Coast could have scored 100 points in the first half alone.’

The Eagles will win on Saturday no matter what the weather or the umpiring brings.
Interstate games are irrelevant to our campaign. We lost 4 of 5 I think and still finished multiple games clear on top. Beating Tigers playing away is nothing special, we simply aren't good away and we dont have to be.

Beating us at the MCG is a different story. We made history there with a record breaking run this year, Collingwood demolished us there last week. That win carries more weight than most. Until last week, the Tigers simply did not lose at the MCG.

Hence what I have been saying, the Pies need only to bring close to what they did against us and they win by 10 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why West Coast should go in as favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

Back