Analysis Why West Coast should go in as favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

This is an obvious deflection thread "West Coast should be favourites so if the Pies lose it's not a choke!"

Relax Maggies, you should be favourites because you're likely going to win. If you bring what you did last week you'll win by 10 goals.
Which is why you blokes would have cruised to back to back flags if not for last Friday. Tigers would have monstered WC at the G. WC will point to your round 9 loss to them but they had Nic Nat, Gaff and Shepherd that night.

Collingwood should win because they beat Richmond? Didn't they lose to WC 2 weeks ago? Richmond played like shit just like Melbourne, however the media and Richmond fans would lead everyone to believe Collingwood was awesome and Melbourne were awful
The game two weeks ago should be ample evidence as to why you should be concerned. Pies gave up the first three goals and trailed at quarter time and yet led for 60% of the game. We hardly fired a shot in the last quarter and still regained the lead with a few minutes to play. This time it’s at the G, you don’t have your 5 goal advantage at OS, and the Pies will play 4 quarters like on Friday night. And don’t be be fooled by how Richmond played - they would have knocked over your mob easily if playing WC on Friday night.

I think pies will win which is crazy considering they beat 1 top 8 side through the home and away season. Hoping West Coast can beat them as they have been the better side of the 2 through the season.
Pies have performed better based on how we’ve had a 3/4 strength team all year. No team has outs as big as ours, or as many or missed as many combined games.

The game two weeks ago should be ample evidence as to why you should be concerned. Pies gave up the first three goals and trailed at quarter time and yet led for 60% of the game. We hardly fired a shot in the last quarter and still regained the lead with a few minutes to play. This time it’s at the G, you don’t have your 5 goal advantage at OS, and the Pies will play 4 quarters like on Friday night. And don’t be be fooled by how Richmond played - they would have knocked over your mob easily if playing WC on Friday night.
And Melbourne would have beaten Collingwood on Saturday, right?

Interstate games are irrelevant to our campaign. We lost 4 of 5 I think and still finished multiple games clear on top. Beating Tigers playing away is nothing special, we simply aren't good away and we dont have to be.

Beating us at the MCG is a different story. We made history there with a record breaking run this year, Collingwood demolished us there last week. That win carries more weight than most. Until last week, the Tigers simply did not lose at the MCG.

Hence what I have been saying, the Pies need only to bring close to what they did against us and they win by 10 goals.

Seriously, you are deluded. Every game counts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is why you blokes would have cruised to back to back flags if not for last Friday. Tigers would have monstered WC at the G. WC will point to your round 9 loss to them but they had Nic Nat, Gaff and Shepherd that night.

Round 17. And we demolished an in form team many predicted could challenge Richmond without them. I think both teams obviously played better in the PFs than the QFs so I'd be careful about relying too much on past results (which is why to me our two wins against you don't mean that much either).

You don't even know that. The bias in this post is astounding. We were 1 man down that game we played against you and Kennedy was rusty as hell and we still won. Your glasses are so rose colored that its blinding. You have barely beaten a top 8 side all year and suddenly you are this amazing juggernaut of a team that is unbeatable? give me a break.

Yet we beat Collingwood, a team that thumped Richmond. See how that works? So again wouldn't read too much into past results, especially this season.

Also we haven't been that strong at Optus as people think. Sure, we had injuries during our losses there, but we also lost to Sydney and looked vulnerable at times. It's a new stadium and more MCG like, which I think has helped us there. On GF day it's more about dimensions than crowd anyway.

I dunno I still think it's as close to 50/50 as can be. I look at Sidebottom and Pendlebury, probably the two most elite ball users in the game (by foot) and their midfield looks extremly efficient and dangerous. I guess thats countered by WC forward line somewhat

Who do you tag? Sidebottom is probably the go, but Pendles in my opinion is the most elite ball user of the modern era. His kicking, his decision making is just so self assured and hes due for a big game. It'll be won and lost in the middle, and I think throw Adam's into the mix and you have an elite (and bizzarly underrated) midfield that's as close to best in the comp.

I think if Yeo gets a 'run with' role on Pendles and let's Shuey and Redden take up the slack it could go our way but I'm sure it won't be as simple as that. Exciting times for both clubs

Win / loss record stands for nothing now even though Wce have beaten Magpies at the MCG and also at Optus this year ..

Collingwood deserves to be favourites for doing us all a favour and beating Richmond so convincingly ..Meanwhile Wce have been extremely lucky to have won the QF v Collingwood and that same luck saw us beat a Melbourne team that just had a bad day ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I dunno I still think it's as close to 50/50 as can be. I look at Sidebottom and Pendlebury, probably the two most elite ball users in the game (by foot) and their midfield looks extremly efficient and dangerous. I guess thats countered by WC forward line somewhat

Who do you tag? Sidebottom is probably the go, but Pendles in my opinion is the most elite ball user of the modern era. His kicking, his decision making is just so self assured and hes due for a big game. It'll be won and lost in the middle, and I think throw Adam's into the mix and you have an elite (and bizzarly underrated) midfield that's as close to best in the comp.

I think if Yeo gets a 'run with' role on Pendles and let's Shuey and Redden take up the slack it could go our way but I'm sure it won't be as simple as that. Exciting times for both clubs

I say we tag Adams. The contested ball in the middle is where the game will be won and lost. So lets do the unexpected and get them inside.

I would just tag Sidebottom with Hutchy and let Yeo play his nature game ..Redden takes Adams or Pendlebury and Shuey goes head to head with Treloar ..Lycett goes man on man v Grundy everywhere..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Completely ignoring the fact we were a man down the entire game, and not only did jk miss several shots he'd normally sink but he was dropping all sorts of marks he'd normally pluck after 6 weeks out. Melbourne played him into form so that won't be happening again.

Pies have performed better based on how we’ve had a 3/4 strength team all year. No team has outs as big as ours, or as many or missed as many combined games.

Crawl out from your rock from time to time and you might be aware that our outs to key players have been bigger than yours. Half a season from JK and Ryan. Nic Nat has missed 9 games. JD, Shuey and Barrass missed around 6 games each, Jetta and Gaff missed 5. We also debuted the most players in the league (8).

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why West Coast should go in as favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

Back