Toast Andrew Gaff (Pick 4, 2010 National Draft) - Thanks for the 1000 Cuts, Enjoy Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Best wingman in the AFL for a period of five years, unbelievable return from a pick 1 that was pushed right down the order.

Ground his opponent into the dirt over four quarters and never looked remotely out of gas. Sad that his body has let him down in the last few years but **** what a great player. Top 20 Eagle of all time, absolute legend of a bloke for 99.9999999999999999999999% of his tenure, and there’s worse things to be remembered for than owning the cross town rival. Love you Gaffy.

IMG_6560.gif

Was one of my favourite players for a long time. Elite reader of play and worked his guts out every game to get disposal after disposal. Peak Gaff would be an outlet in D50 for the defence then 30 seconds later pop up to recieve and kick inside 50. Out of the three that missed the flag in 2018, he was the one that deserved it the most in return for sustained effort and no fuss.

Agreed to go on-ball when we needed it and his body got stuffed from the big hits. It was a shame to see how he slowed down at the end.

Had assumed he and Darling were locks for 300 but there was no continuing. Went out the same way he came in, no fuss and team first.

Onya Gaffy. An amazing servant of the club.

I realise I'm probably in the minority here but I am not a fan of players at the end of their career getting a game on anything other than merit. The club is going to do what they will though, so I hope he rolls back the clock and plays a couple of blinders to finish it off.

Always will remember how he bounced up in his debut game after the early big bump. Always showed a lot of ticker, certainly one of the hardest running players we've ever had.

Paid the ultimate price for one moment of madness that sadly cost him the flag he deserved. I hope he remembers what a big part he played in getting us there, not just in 2018 but over his entire journey at the club.

A very well earned retirement and it's great that the club is helping him to get life membership.

One of the best wingers we had and consistent for a good 6 or 7 years at the very top.

I will always remember his bravery, countless times he sat under high balls as a part of his defensive coverage and he was always just there. There for the outlet defensive 50 kick, there for the opponents shank, there for a handball receive, there for the team mates shank, there for the switch. He was always there and he rarely made mistakes.

His ability to accumulate is a testament to his work rate, there aren't many better runners in the AFL than Gaff in his prime save for Tom Scully who was a freak, but Gaff was the best winger in the league and could have had more AAs than two as well.

He was tough and classy with an understanding of where to be that was so far above everyone else you kind of just took it for granted that Gaff had the ball again despite having it 20 seconds ago on the other side of the field.

Even when he played inside mid you could tell he had better touch than most in tight (he just wasn't built for it and they never should have tried to change him) and was capable of good handballs in congestion.

I love Gaff and wish him all the best, would love to have known how he played his last few years if he never had the ankle injury but it's just one of those things I guess.

A fitting farewell to a legend of the club. A career of dedication and effort, getting the absolute maximum out of himself and being a great clubman. Showed incredible loyalty to stay with the club when there was lucrative opportunity to go elsewhere. As with Nic and Shep, a shame he didn't get to play in a winning GF, losing his opportunity due to one terrible moment that was totally out of character for him. In the end, he slowed down at the same time the game was speeding up, but for a sustained, lengthy period he was a durable and top-rung wingman, the two All-Australians well deserved recognition.

Thanks Gaffy a fantastic and dependable player in your prime , great to see the Club honour your time with the club with the respectful send off to reach the 300 games and AFL life membership..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t be easy facing your footballing mortality but he’s carried himself really well through what would’ve been a difficult and frustrating year for him

Will never forget his early career as probs the fittest young guy. Burnt wingers over the course of the game Between the archs, chain of handball receives, quick and agile, skills pretty good too.

His lack of pace and kick depth did catch up with him though. Alot of 25meter blind kicks over the shoulder circa 2020..
Bit of an early bloomer But Still an absolute champ of the club.

he gave the playing group a great outlet on the field, he played for Simmos game plan. He encapsulated our outside style of the time and I will always remember the old Elmo fuzzy bear fondly.. cheers gaffy

Was one of my favourite players for a long time. Elite reader of play and worked his guts out every game to get disposal after disposal. Peak Gaff would be an outlet in D50 for the defence then 30 seconds later pop up to recieve and kick inside 50. Out of the three that missed the flag in 2018, he was the one that deserved it the most in return for sustained effort and no fuss.

Agreed to go on-ball when we needed it and his body got stuffed from the big hits. It was a shame to see how he slowed down at the end.

Had assumed he and Darling were locks for 300 but there was no continuing. Went out the same way he came in, no fuss and team first.
Great call.. made the gut busting stuff look no fuss

Always will remember how he bounced up in his debut game after the early big bump. Always showed a lot of ticker, certainly one of the hardest running players we've ever had.

Paid the ultimate price for one moment of madness that sadly cost him the flag he deserved. I hope he remembers what a big part he played in getting us there, not just in 2018 but over his entire journey at the club.

A very well earned retirement and it's great that the club is helping him to get life membership.
Aaron Edwards I recall, reminded me of the glenn archer on Lenny Hayes back in the day..
Our boy bounced up like a legend just the same. Cheers gaffy!

Man over the last couple years my love for him diminished purely cause how trash yhe sides been and how unwilling simmo was to drop him and other seniors but he is still one of my favourite Eagles players. Jumped on his bandwagon early when the facebook nuffied went hard at him in 2013/14 when we slid after two years of looking good. People were calling him soft and a lot were throwing his name up to be traded. Incredibly harsh call by the nuffs as he was only 21/22 at the time and at that point achieved a lot more than a lot of our current kids have atm.

Mid to late 2014 that side started to improve and we not only started to see glimpses of what simmo’s brand of footy but a glimpse into what Gaff would ultimately be. I was fortunate enough to be at Adelaide oval when we gave up 5 goals but ended up to go on and upset the crows. Gaff was huge that arvo, his work rate was immense as he was running up and down the ground and his work actually translated a massive reward. Had 31 touches 3 goals and 3 brownlow points as the crows simply couldn’t touch him. It set up to what was going to be a constant thing for him over the next half a decade as he collected a club championship and 2 All Australians. Unfortunately by his own doing he wasn’t able to collect a premiership medal.

For a long time he was the best wingmen in the comp and will go down as a club legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Andrew Gaff (Pick 4, 2010 National Draft) - Thanks for the 1000 Cuts, Enjoy Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back