Toast Andrew Gaff (Pick 4, 2010 National Draft) - Thanks for the 1000 Cuts, Enjoy Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I will remember about Gaffy is he was pretty brave under the high ball.

got smashed a few times but held his ground and even marked a couple.

What we would give now for a guaranteed 30 link in the chain possies.

All the best Gaffer #3

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolute respect for Gaffy - his loyalty alone to our club is immense - gutsy and hardworking runner in his prime - most down to earth and humble bloke I have had the pleasure to meet. I wish he and his family nothing but the best and love that he has a little fella to hopefully be just as good a footy player for the Eagles as his daddy was

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember being ropeable that after our first ever spoon we didn't get pick 1. Or 2. Or 3. And instead what can only be described as an ongoing failed experiment of an expansion team (still to this day IMO) got them instead and we got pick 4. David Swallow, a massively rated Western Australian who we deserved would be off the board. We then chose Gaff when our pick came round and I was optimistic with the choice at the time. And now having the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't change that.

Played some incredible football, rarely scintillating but could run farther and longer than anyone else I can remember. Was always reliable and was never afraid to stand under the high ball. Went on about 2 years too long, and I'm a big believer that the stupid f*cken stand and 666 changes did not benefit his playstyle whatsoever. I don't doubt that he would take that punch back 1000 times out of a 1000, just a shit situation for everyone.

Legend of the club. 300 AFL games. Best of luck for the future.

As an aside, what a year for the drafts:

Some epic players, just amazing.

I'll be honest - I wanted Polec as the flashier higher ceiling player in the draft... thank god I'm not in the recruiting team.

Same 🙋‍♂️

2010 was the first draft I watched, i seem to remember it was held in the morning that year, or I might be misremembering that. Either way though once we took Gaff I sweated on whether or not Darling would last to our second pick. When he did I stopped watching, knew we'd nailed the draft, was so pumped 🤣

I'll be honest - I wanted Polec as the flashier higher ceiling player in the draft... thank god I'm not in the recruiting team.

I remember there was a lot of buzz around us taking him at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the top 20 picks of 2010, Gaff was probably the right choice for the Eagles list at the time and stands out as one of the best of his draft class.

Well done Gaff.

1723077747132.png

Gaff has been a great servant of our club, and he was courted by Victorian clubs for a long time until THAT day. Gaff also cost himself a Premiership Medal by lashing out at that Brayshaw kid... Maybe it was his surname. (Admit it, you'd want to deck James Brayshaw) ... Seriously though, Andrew Gaff has been a fine player at our club, and should help to overshadow Fremantle next week, with a lap of honour.

Gaff is retiring at 32. (all due credit for an outstanding career)
Darling, Cripps and Gov are 32.
Yeo and Kelly are 30.
Sheed is 29.
Barrass is 28
Duggan, Ryan and Cole are 27.
Waterman is 26.
Oscar is 25.
Arguably another two from that list could or should be gone end of season?
(Darling will linger longer to reach his target)

Yeo and Kelly are 30.
Sheed is 29.
Barrass is 28
Waterman is 26.
Oscar is 25.
Our list is absolutely screwed. What's that, 6 AA's we have replace in the next few years? Get whatever draft upgrades we can for anyone over 26.

Yeo and Kelly are 30.
Sheed is 29.
Barrass is 28
Waterman is 26.
Oscar is 25.
Next year will be tough. Darling, Cripps, McGovern all gone end of 2025 no doubt. Sheed is a non entity right now. Barrass is probably gone this trade period.

Young guys are going to have their work cut out for them. Pray for Edwards and Bazzo down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Andrew Gaff (Pick 4, 2010 National Draft) - Thanks for the 1000 Cuts, Enjoy Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back